Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skillwise: how the hell is Cotto past his prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stamina issues is one thing but weak legs is a different issue.

Cotto had no legs from around the 7th round. His punches had nothing on them and were slow.

Comment

In my opinion Cotto is past prime. Nobody I've read on here is comparing him with Roy Jones who is shot to hell and back.To me prime is when a fighter is at his very best. If your not at your very best then your are to some degree past prime. Do you think Cotto is at his very best now? Trout would probably have beaten any Cotto but few knew exactly how good Trout was. I alway though Cotto made a mistake moving to 154 but it was his choice. I never believed he was drained at 147 or the 145 he fought Pacquiao at. I think he should move back down to 147 since he made it clear he is not retiring. He could be competitive with anyone at that weight except Floyd and Manny. If he stays at 154 I think he should fight Bundrage because he could win that fight. If he fights Canelo he will add another KO loss to his record.

Comment

Cotto is 6-4 since his greatest win against Mosley so it's natural that people would consider him 'post-prime'.

Also, talking about a guy being past his prime 'skillwise' in boxing is kind of meaningless. Skill in boxing is inextricably linked to physicality and as such, one depends on the other. A guy throwing a technically delightful left hook doesn't mean much if he can't throw it with explosive power.

Physically, Cotto doesn't look to the be fighter he once was, even if in pure boxing terms he's still very good.

Comment

Working...
        X