Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweathers blue print to fame and fortune bad for boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floyd dominated for 10 years before he broke from Arum to make the big money.

He doesn't fight often because he doesn't have to. But when he does fight, you can bet he'll face ranked fighters who may hold title belts not tomato cans.

Comment

Originally posted by MindBat View Post
      Floyd dominated for 10 years before he broke from Arum to make the big money.

He doesn't fight often because he doesn't have to. But when he does fight, you can bet he'll face ranked fighters who may hold title belts not tomato cans.
      In this age of a plethora of crooked 'organisations' and meaningless 'titles' that really doesnt mean anything.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
        Ur missing is point. There are ppl srl avoided too. I mean he personally admitted to avoiding Hagler until after the Mugabe fight, at which time he felt Hagler was just past it enough to beat. The point is many fighters have done it to some extent. And it is true.
        He also refused to give Hagler a rematch even though about 50% of the boxing fans thought Hagler won. He refused to give Hearns a rematch until he thought Hearns was shot. He fought the 175 pound champ at a top weight of 168 and won both the 168 lb tittle and the 175 lb tittle in the same fight on a bs. setup deal.

Comment

I'm not having a dig at Floyd or anyone for that matter. I guess I just don't like the politics.

Comment

I think its partially true, but its not Floyd's fault. I think your seeing more and more young fighters being protected than ever before. In the past the young guns got to it and the best man came out with the leverage to pick and choose their paydays. Now if a guy shows promise his team tries to protect him as long as they can.
            Floyd may be the most blatant with it, but it started with guys like Tyson and a young ODL. Guys who could draw a big gate and PPV buys no matter who they fought.

Comment

Fact that Mayweather fights rarely is bad for boxing.

It's synonymous to ducking, avoiding, self-preservation, fear of losing, less risk taking. Don't even know why they defend this guy like he's some kind of hero or something.

Comment

Ultimately it comes down to TV networks and casual fans loving that '0'. If fighting top opposition made more money than being undefeated, Floyd and the like would be fighting top opposition.

Comment

I'd hardly call the biggest draw in boxing since Oscar bad for the sport. Like him or hate him, when Floyd fights the sport is elevated to the top every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgarcia View Post
                    Fact that Mayweather fights rarely is bad for boxing.

It's synonymous to ducking, avoiding, self-preservation, fear of losing, less risk taking. Don't even know why they defend this guy like he's some kind of hero or something.
                    Why does it matter when he does fight you will still complain

Comment

fact is Floyd fought his way to the top and fought frequently...he broke away from his promoter fought Oscar and started making huge money so he does not have to fight as often...but he had to WIN and KEEP WINNING to get to this point.there was a lot of hard work put in to get here

Comment

Working...
                      X