No announcement yet.

Mayweather to Pick Opponent Next Week

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ALG United View Post
    But the elite boxers now are getting paid 100xmore than what the likes of Ali was getting during their time, with or without inflation Floyd still earns way too much bigger than Ali did... So don't you think these elite boxers owes us big boxing fans the fights that we want... Boxing maybe is not as big now as before during the time of the golden age, but on certain fights that involves the elite fighters, boxing still commands very high viewership..
    I agree with you 100% but boxing is in a very different phase right now, its star driven, the focus is more on entertainment, not competition.

you are slightly older than I so you watched fights on Saturday and SUnday afternoons like I did. There were more outlets so you had to put on a good fight to get decent ratings. Now, with everything on cable, and 250 channels, you need to have on a fighter that attracts viewers. This has been slowly changing since Tyson and ODH. People were buying fights to see them, not the fight.

ANdre Ward fights all these tough fights that draws half what Broner does. People pay $60 to watch manny KO a bum or floyd outbox a huge underdog.

Comment

• Canelo will be easy prey for the master, unless He hurts Mayweather with a lucky punch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
        I agree with you 100% but boxing is in a very different phase right now, its star driven, the focus is more on entertainment, not competition.

you are slightly older than I so you watched fights on Saturday and SUnday afternoons like I did. There were more outlets so you had to put on a good fight to get decent ratings. Now, with everything on cable, and 250 channels, you need to have on a fighter that attracts viewers. This has been slowly changing since Tyson and ODH. People were buying fights to see them, not the fight.

ANdre Ward fights all these tough fights that draws half what Broner does. People pay $60 to watch manny KO a bum or floyd outbox a huge underdog.
        I maybe an old dog but i still appreciate boxing of all kinds, boring or fan-friendly.. Floyd used to be like Broner and Ward is today, fighting on all comers, and i used to love him for that.. And i was saying after the Oscar fight, Floyd will be Ali's second coming, a young very skilled fighter who is not afraid to fight big challenges, but then he fought Hatton and i was very disappointed...

Comment

I maybe an old dog but i still appreciate boxing of all kinds, boring or fan-friendly.. Floyd used to be like Broner and Ward is today, fighting on all comers, and i used to love him for that.. And i was saying after the Oscar fight, Floyd will be Ali's second coming, a young very skilled fighter who is not afraid to fight big challenges, but then he fought Hatton and i was very disappointed...
          I understand what you are saying. But the landscacape was changing. Think about it, floyd/ODH did 2.45 mil ppv sales, over 1 mil more than tito/odh, which was a MUCH more compelling matchup. No one thought that fight would sell that much.

Put it like this-if wwe had the rock fight john cena on the same night ward and sergio fought, what would sell more?

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Dunn View Post
            I understand what you are saying. But the landscacape was changing. Think about it, floyd/ODH did 2.45 mil ppv sales, over 1 mil more than tito/odh, which was a MUCH more compelling matchup. No one thought that fight would sell that much.

Put it like this-if wwe had the rock fight john cena on the same night ward and sergio fought, what would sell more?
            Me i would watch Ward and Sergio in a heartbeat, but that's just me... And i know what your driving at, i just don't like Floyd fighting Guerrero.. Anyway i have to go, i'm out man...

Comment

Me i would watch Ward and Sergio in a heartbeat, but that's just me... And i know what your driving at, i just don't like Floyd fighting Guerrero.. Anyway i have to go, i'm out man...
              none of us do right now. peace.

Comment

• With Pac fighting JMM IV, a fight lined up in April (which can't be vs Mayweather because using Bob's logic you can't pick dates ahead of time) vs Bradley II/Rios or JMM V, a Mayweather fight is in no way shape or form going to happen next year or anytime before Pac's very last fight.

Cotto is fighting Trout and if he wins him and Alvarez should fight which is what everyone wants. So we can’t pick Alvarez or Cotto

Sergio Martinez is injured so we can’t pick him.

Who is Floyd supposed to fight? Can anyone name just one name between 147 and 154 where Floyd is not the favorite to win and win quit easily?

Again unless we talk about Floyd fighting MW’s people are going to b*tch about someone being not great enough to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr…. In due time, this will be looked back on and people will see why he was considered the best for so long.

Comment

• Originally posted by WESS View Post
                  With Pac fighting JMM IV, a fight lined up in April (which can't be vs Mayweather because using Bob's logic you can't pick dates ahead of time) vs Bradley II/Rios or JMM V, a Mayweather fight is in no way shape or form going to happen next year or anytime before Pac's very last fight.

Cotto is fighting Trout and if he wins him and Alvarez should fight which is what everyone wants. So we can’t pick Alvarez or Cotto

Sergio Martinez is injured so we can’t pick him.

Who is Floyd supposed to fight? Can anyone name just one name between 147 and 154 where Floyd is not the favorite to win and win quit easily?

Again unless we talk about Floyd fighting MW’s people are going to b*tch about someone being not great enough to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr…. In due time, this will be looked back on and people will see why he was considered the best for so long.
                  He can fight Matthysse at 147, which will bring it to the same level as Pac vs Rios...

Comment

From the same article that you posted, that you conveniently left out...

As for Floyd Mayweather Jr., who hasn't been heard from recently, Arum noted "Mayweather is silent. He's telling people that he's not sure he wants to fight anymore and he's saying what he really believes. That doesn't mean that he wont fight."

The Top Rank promoter said he had lunch with someone who knows Mayweather who told him that Mayweather "likes the fight, wants the fight when he's broke. If he has money he doesn't want to fight."

Manny has already spoken on ESPN, and Stephen A. Smith of ESPN a known Floyd supporter already said on public TV that Manny is openly challenging Floyd now to a fight but Floyd kept his silence.. Yes Bob is looking out at a Rios match up for Manny just because Floyd is not entertaining Manny's open challenge!!!
                    The red underlined statement says a lot. PBF not going to go broke anytime soon when you have die hard PBF fans and casuals will to line his pockets with possibly 30-40+Mill to fight Guerrero. So when is he actually going to be broke? Like I said pages ago the only way PBF will fight twice in 2013 is if his next fight tanks badly at the gate and on PPV. The same goes for Manny as well. These fighters and promoters hands will not be forced to make the fights the public demands unless they not making money doing what they want to do.

Also truthfully this is a big "IF" when dealing with truth and Arum. If that statement is true then PBF has been ducking. Its either PBF will fight Manny if he can screw him over at the negotiation table or only fight him if he broke.

I am big PBF fan but damn that is a hell of statment by Arum.

Comment

• Froid is off his cycle. He's ready for "Olympic style test."

Comment

Working...
                      X