No announcement yet.

Does Hatton deserve to be in the HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    Really??? Tszyu came back in November 2004 and beat Mitchell in a rematch and stopped him in 3 rounds. Mitchell was still the #1 JWW besides the RING champ Tszyu. Prior to that, Tszyu beat Urkal who was a Top 10 JWW, Judah who was the #2 JWW, Tackie who was a Top 10 JWW, Leija who was a Top 10 JWW, and Mitchell again like I stated above.

Tszyu was also the #3 P4P in the world when Hatton beat him, and this was also a time when people really wanted to see Floyd-Tsyzu as Floyd was looking to fight the winner of that fight.

So don't tell me that wasn't a big win for Hatton, it was. It may not have been the best Tszyu, but Tszyu was still a highly regarded fighter at the time.
    I think it's safe to say the division was very weak at that time..

it's like Baldomir was once ranked number one at welterweight, which didn't mean much because the biggest names in the division were Judah and an old Gatti.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiaoifyable View Post
      If you look at Hatton on the world scale - no, probably not. If you look at it from the point of view that he's one of the best British fighters ever and maybe the most popular - a resounding yes.

As has been mentioned previously, though, if Gatti couldn't make it in, then Hatton shouldn't either.
      Hatton's popularity is legendary, and his career in many ways parallels that of Barry McGuigan, another UK fighter with a huge following and an interesting person outside the ring. I think if McGuigan got in, then Hatton, who had fought better opposition, will as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ryan View Post
        Hatton's popularity is legendary, and his career in many ways parallels that of Barry McGuigan, another UK fighter with a huge following and an interesting person outside the ring. I think if McGuigan got in, then Hatton, who had fought better opposition, will as well.
        Do you feel Barry McGuigan deserved the nod to get in?
        I feel the way they vote for the hall of fame should change. when you let a fighter in because the rest of the names on the ballot are weak, then you give another fighter that's not as good the chance to get in.

not saying that they shouldn't be honored for their time inside the ring.. but when you let anyone into the hall of fame it loses it's exclusivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin City View Post
          Do you feel Barry McGuigan deserved the nod to get in?
          I feel the way they vote for the hall of fame should change. when you let a fighter in because the rest of the names on the ballot are weak, then you give another fighter that's not as good the chance to get in.

not saying that they shouldn't be honored for their time inside the ring.. but when you let anyone into the hall of fame it loses it's exclusivity.
          Here's the thing though: The IBHOF in Canastota makes a significant portion of its income from Hall of Fame week, as its location in upstate NY makes it a tough place to get to.

They need that buzz every year from three inductees from the modern era to generate traffic to the Hall every year. Without that, the Hall would probably fold due to lack of financial support.

Comment

I don't think so

Comment

No, he doesn't have the wins.

Elite wins - Tszyu

Strong Wins- Collazo, Urkal, Malignaggi, Lazcano, Urango

I feel he'll get in though on the strength of his adoration by his fans and his resume though.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                Does he? I mean, his best win was against a faded Tszyu, and he got DESTROYED every time he fought a truly great fighter.
                No... hatton doesn't belong there

Comment

To me, being HOF means beating a legend whilst they are in their prime or setting some other kind of historically significant record. For instance Joe Cal gets in for setting a record number of defences, even though 80% of them were versus crap opponents, and Barry McGuigan gets in for taking his title off an absolute legend, despite doing little else besides.

Hatton hasnt set any such historical precedents, however minor. But he is still in my book an outstanding and awesome aggresssive boxer and regardless of how anyone classes him, he will always be a local legend, which is something many would crave above being an ATG or HOFer that might appeal to hardcore fans only. In his locale, Hatton is almost deified, and thats worth more than being Muhammed Ali in Manchester.
                  Last edited by DreamFighter; 11-27-2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment

It's called the "International Boxing Hall Of Fame" not the International Boxing Hall Of Achievements.

Champ of a division for 4 years.
                    2 Division title holder.
                    Involved in 2 of the biggest fights ever.
                    Couple of years on the P4P list.
                    One of the biggest followings ever in boxing.

Comment

Yeah I do get that, and its a very very strong point, with entry into HOF based on an outstanding boxing CV, which paraphrases a part of what I mean.

My problem is with shoehorning in people who dont individually deserve it, like Vitali being categorised as HOF because he is of ' the only time two brothers have owned HW titles'. I dont agree at all with pooling family acheivements - Frazier Junior isnt any greater just for what his dad did. My other issue with 'fame' is its free exchange of meaning for celebrity status these days, which shouldnt apply to sport, or else we'll be putting Kimbo Slice, Freddie Flintoff and Ricky Gervais in the HOF next based on them spending a bit of time in the boxing ring.

Comment

Working...
                      X