No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis Handing Out ChessBoard Beatdowns

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
    i dont know anything about the chess world but Lewis said he had a 2000 point rating or something?

If anyone knows the klitschko's rating we can finally put this age old boxing debate to rest!
    2000 is an "expert" rating in the United States. That would be very good. If Lewis were rated that high, he would crush the average chess player. However, I looked Lennox up on the USCF (United States Chess Federation), ECF (English) and FIDE (International) websites and nothing came up. (Neither of the Klitschkos appeared on the FIDE website, either.)

It's difficult to speculate what you might've heard or what Lewis might've actually said regarding his chess rating. Judging from one of the pictures posted, Lennox appears to participate in tournaments. But he might just be a recreational player, someone who doesn't compete.

Comment

The Klitschko brothers can't be that good. Together they played against a National Master (2300) who was blindfolded (they weren't) and got mated in 16 moves.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1621715

Comment

Originally posted by Mayweather41-0 View Post
        i bet the Klitschkos would beat him in chess
        I heard Lennox and Vitali had a game and Vitali was doing really well until a chess piece got stuck in his eye and the match had to be stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by #GlowinOrb View Post
          Boxing + Chess = Chipmunks singing in Rocky IV
          There is actually a sport called "chess boxing", where the combatants slug-it-out in alternating rounds of chess and boxing. The encounter can be won by either winning the chess game or the boxing match. Participants have to be proficient at both pursuits.

From Wikipedia: "Chess boxing is a fast growing sport, with large followings in Berlin and London, where most events take place. Several other chessboxing events have taken place around the world, including in Los Angeles, Tokyo, Nantes (France), Reykjavík (Iceland), Amsterdam, Calcutta (India) and Krasnoyarsk (Russia)."

Comment

Originally posted by deliveryman View Post
            The Klitschko brothers can't be that good. Together they played against a National Master (2300) who was blindfolded (they weren't) and got mated in 16 moves.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1621715
            I just looked it up. Apparently, the game was a publicity stunt. Whether the brothers were trying very hard is doubtful. Wlad and Vitali have been known to promote chess quite often.

Comment

Originally posted by craigus1990 View Post
              I heard Lennox and Vitali had a game and Vitali was doing really well until a chess piece got stuck in his eye and the match had to be stopped.
              Klitlickers will be saying that Lewis cheated them out of a rematch.

Comment

"In chess, nobody is an expert, but everybody plays. In boxing everybody is an expert, but nobody fights."
                - Vitali Klitschko

Proof Vitali drops in on Boxingscene from time to time?

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                  2000 is an "expert" rating in the United States. That would be very good. If Lewis were rated that high, he would crush the average chess player. However, I looked Lennox up on the USCF (United States Chess Federation), ECF (English) and FIDE (International) websites and nothing came up. (Neither of the Klitschkos appeared on the FIDE website, either.)

It's difficult to speculate what you might've heard or what Lewis might've actually said regarding his chess rating. Judging from one of the pictures posted, Lennox appears to participate in tournaments. But he might just be a recreational player, someone who doesn't compete.
                  it was from his Twitter...

Lennox Lewis ‏@LennoxLewis
                  RR @martinolindgren: Someone told me you have 2000 ratingpoints or so in chess. Is that correct? <-yes

No idea if true!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    it was from his Twitter...

Lennox Lewis ‏@LennoxLewis
                    RR @martinolindgren: Someone told me you have 2000 ratingpoints or so in chess. Is that correct? <-yes

No idea if true!
                    Lennox is lying. I looked it up.

Maybe Lewis believes that's his estimated rating. There are ways you can get and idea, but the only way to know for certain is by playing in rated tournaments. If he's anywhere close to 2000, he's very good.

(Thanks for the source.)

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                      Lennox is lying. I looked it up.

Maybe Lewis believes that's his estimated rating. There are ways you can get and idea, but the only way to know for certain is by playing in rated tournaments. If he's anywhere close to 2000, he's very good.

(Thanks for the source.)
                      Haha i love the idea that an ex boxer would lie to big himself up in the Chess world!

If 2000 is as good as you say then it may have been tongue in cheek though who knows. Hes probably better at chess than calling fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X