Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The further deterioration of Max Kellerman as a professional broadcaster...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fish262 View Post
    Larry takes too long to spit a sentence out these days and his voice is always the same. He's stance against black fighters is pretty evident as well. Someone should post that interview of him and floyd when he says something along the lines of "floyd its obvious your not as quick outside the ring" pretty much says he is dumb and then walks away before he can reply.
    Guess that means i dont mind max when there isnt a HBO fighter there trying to hype.

Comment

Kellerman:berto the better fighter is getting is getting beat in a street fight
      Roy; yea he is

Fire both

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
        His "compare the fight you're watching to an old one like a fanboy with something to prove" routine also reached an all-time low with "this FIGHT is EXACTLY like FOREMAN versus LYLE, only COMPLETELY different."

But that post-bout interview? Jesus Christ. When he got to "SAVAGE uppercuts" like a 12-year-old NSB fanboy with a Spider-Man t-shirt and an X-Box I almost ate my own shit in embarrassment. Then there was the entire subtext of the interview: "ANDRE, what's it LIKE to be SO amAZING and get FOULED all NIGHT and CAN i BLOW you?"

Comment

Yeah, but Larry is having trouble getting out a sentence these days, Lampley has developed the common old man habit of speaking over others, Steward has passed away, etc. They need to get new blood from somewhere.

What puzzles me is how he got the job. Larry Merchant is a boxing historian (?) and Jim Lampley is a quick-witted, camera-friendly tv man, but Kellerman is basically just a boxing fan. Do they regularly hand out jobs to everyday boxing fans?

I don't think Kellerman knows as much as he thinks he does. Also, he has a 1-track mind and goes off on his little own direction sometimes. During the Citron-Martinez fight, after Citron was knocked down, which he thoughtt was a headbutt, Kellerman was debating with himself for about 5 minutes whether Citron beat the count. Lennox Lewis finally said "He beat the count. End of story" and then an awkward silence

Still, after some of the commentators I've heard (Ferdie Pacheco, Steve Albert, etc.) you realise Max ain't so bad.

Comment

tenletters

Comment

Kellerman started his own public access boxing show in his early 20s when it wasn't as simple as sitting in front of your computer and uploading a clip on to you tube. In addition dude has an Ivy League degree which means point blank he's smarter than 99.99% of forum posters on this site. Furthermore he's been on some sports or news channel for the last 10-15 years. Granted a lot of posters here are very knowledgeable when it comes to boxing. But being able to conceptualize and communicate said knowledge during an action packed fight and having to deal with the different personalities within the sport has got to be extremely difficult. It's very easy to pick on every mistake Kellerman makes, it's a lot harder to actually do what he does. Are there people out there who can do a better job than him? Maybe. But I'm sure 99% of you complaining can't.

And yes, boxing commentators fall into 2 categories. They are either retired (or active) boxers or simply glorified boxing fans. They'd be the first to admit that.
              Last edited by MikeRo1972; 11-26-2012, 11:39 PM.

Comment

He didn't looked coked ot Saturday though.

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
                  kellerman lost me when he compared pacquiao to rachel maddow during clottey v pac fight.
                  Damn I don't remember that. What round was it?

Originally posted by fish262 View Post
                  Larry takes too long to spit a sentence out these days and his voice is always the same. He's stance against black fighters is pretty evident as well. Someone should post that interview of him and floyd when he says something along the lines of "floyd its obvious your not as quick outside the ring" pretty much says he is dumb and then walks away before he can reply.
                  Where do people get this from? Merchant called Berto a beautiful man and said "Shane Mosley I LOVE YOU!" if anything he's got jungle fever.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeRo1972 View Post
                    Kellerman started his own public access boxing show in his early 20s when it wasn't as simple as sitting in front of your computer and uploading a clip on to you tube. In addition dude has an Ivy League degree which means point blank he's smarter than 99.99% of forum posters on this site. Furthermore he's been on some sports or news channel for the last 10-15 years. Granted a lot of posters here are very knowledgeable when it comes to boxing. But being able to conceptualize and communicate said knowledge during an action packed fight and having to deal with the different personalities within the sport has got to be extremely difficult. It's very easy to pick on every mistake Kellerman makes, it's a lot harder to actually do what he does. Are there people out there who can do a better job than him? Maybe. But I'm sure 99% of you complaining can't.

And yes, boxing commentators fall into 2 categories. They are either retired (or active) boxers or simply glorified boxing fans. They'd be the first to admit that.
                    Woah woah woah dude.

I am not knocking anyone who has a degree or is super motivated, but Kellermen comes from a rich NY family with connections. Which is why he had the means to go to an Ivy League or start his own boxing show. I'm not saying he didn't put in the work, but I am willing to submit that the vast majority of posters on the site could do similar to or better than Max does on HBO given the same opportunities.

Not to mention make a better rap album.

Comment

Well, I agree on the rap album part. Can't defend that...it was terrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X