Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish Boxing was more popular with the youth.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
    It's a topic, that's all...no more or no less interesting than most of the other things discussed on this forum. Why do we compare fighters? lol
    comparing fighters makes sense bc the fighters are in the same sport trying to become the best in their choice of work. boxing and mma are very different in their fan bases so it does not make sense to really compare them the only similarity really is they are both in the entertainment business.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
      football and basketball.... that's all it is
      I agree. But, like everything else around here, some people get all hot-under-the-collar when you imply that one is more popular -- or gaining more popularity -- than the other. I happen to like both football and basketball. I have a preference, but I'm not gonna knock someone's taste to the contrary.

Comment

It's just how following this sport can be sometimes. You're bound to run into some people who have been watching and have had a foundation in it. Doesn't sound too much different than how it was when I was 16-17, except most people around cared about WWF/WCW, which at the time was at the height of popularity (late 90s). That young crowd is now fragmented between pro wrestling and MMA, but I will take a guess and say it'

I watched boxing since I was about 10 and didn't start to meet others who were truly into it until I left the house and got to college. I mean kids knew who Oscar, Evander, Tyson, RJJ were but they didn't know the 2nd tier or the younger guys like Barerra, JMM, floyd, etc who were just prospects at the time.

so once I was in school, I'd just have it on TV any random Saturday, ppl knew if they were gonna chill with me that night that boxing was gonna be on no matter what. So mostly I'd never try to force it on anyone, I'd just be doing my own thing and after a while some of those people couldn't wait until the next fight and the next time to get wasted at the dorm and go out after. I revolved the fights around events at my spot drinking, bbq, girls, etc whatever. Road trips to vegas for boxing weekends once I turned 21 really got ppl hooked on that atmosphere. still, you will likely never meet anyone who knows about the sport as much as you do. i know plenty of people who watching boxing all the time, but yet I'm still forced to come here to talk boxing with people who know it in depth

Comment

Originally posted by HUGEBOXINGFAN View Post
          comparing fighters makes sense bc the fighters are in the same sport trying to become the best in their choice of work. boxing and mma are very different in their fan bases so it does not make sense to really compare them the only similarity really is they are both in the entertainment business.
          They're both fighting sports vying for the loyalty (and dollars) of fight fans. If UFC didn't come along, there would be a lot more boxing fans. What other sport would have claimed the attention of those inclined towards contests of pure violence?

Comment

I'm 22 years old, from Texas and I still haven't met a single person that was a regular fan of boxing, sure they know who De La Hoya, PAC, and May are but they've never even heard of guys like Hopkins even though DLH fought him, or Ward, Froch, Wright, Trinidad, Barrera, Morales, etc.

It's comparable to people who only watch the Superbowl or NBA finals but never ever ever watch the regular season games, or other teams play against each other.

Comment

They're both fighting sports vying for the loyalty (and dollars) of fight fans. If UFC didn't come along, there would be a lot more boxing fans. What other sport would have claimed the attention of those inclined towards contests of pure violence?
              http://www.usatoday.com/video/index....id=71232082001

i asked dan rafael about this in his chat once and he said studies have showed that those fans would never have really had an interest in boxing more so the ufc is in competition with wwe
              Last edited by HUGEBOXINGFAN; 11-23-2012, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                It's just how following this sport can be sometimes. You're bound to run into some people who have been watching and have had a foundation in it. Doesn't sound too much different than how it was when I was 16-17, except most people around cared about WWF/WCW, which at the time was at the height of popularity (late 90s). That young crowd is now fragmented between pro wrestling and MMA, but I will take a guess and say it'

I watched boxing since I was about 10 and didn't start to meet others who were truly into it until I left the house and got to college. I mean kids knew who Oscar, Evander, Tyson, RJJ were but they didn't know the 2nd tier or the younger guys like Barerra, JMM, floyd, etc who were just prospects at the time.

so once I was in school, I'd just have it on TV any random Saturday, ppl knew if they were gonna chill with me that night that boxing was gonna be on no matter what. So mostly I'd never try to force it on anyone, I'd just be doing my own thing and after a while some of those people couldn't wait until the next fight and the next time to get wasted at the dorm and go out after. I revolved the fights around events at my spot drinking, bbq, girls, etc whatever. Road trips to vegas for boxing weekends once I turned 21 really got ppl hooked on that atmosphere. still, you will likely never meet anyone who knows about the sport as much as you do. i know plenty of people who watching boxing all the time, but yet I'm still forced to come here to talk boxing with people who know it in depth
                This is a great point.

Just keep being you and forget what other people are into if it's not what you like.

I was the only boxing fan amongst my friends, but after they hung around me for a while caught a few televised events for fighters that put on special performances, they are now fans who watch it themselves. People like to witness talent in all forms and Boxing has tons of it available to be seen.

Comment

I am 21 from San Antonio and boxing and soccer were the biggest sports with my friends. I live in a Mexican neighborhood what part of San Antonio isnt really San Antonio is about 66% hispanic so the city im from has a huge boxing fan base and no matter what the age wether it is 16 or 65 it is just real big in the Mexican community. I also have cousins out in Arizona in the Tuscon area who are teenagers and big boxing fans so from my point of view I know a lot of young boxing fans and old boxing fans also so that is my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGEBOXINGFAN View Post
                    http://www.usatoday.com/video/index....id=71232082001

i asked dan rafael about this in his chat once and he said studies have showed that those fans would never have really had an interest in boxing more so the ufc is in competition with wwe
                    Interesting. Thanks for the video evidence. If all this is right then you're correct, the discussion is even more meaningless than all the other meaningless shit we argue about around here.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks for the video evidence. If all this is right then you're correct, the discussion is even more meaningless than all the other meaningless shit we argue about around here.
                      no problem bc i used to think they were in direct competition but have spoken to boxing insiders with more knowledge and they have said it is a very minimal part of the fan bases that they are competing for. One of them said it is similar to 2 shows going on and one is a rap concert while the other is a rock concert and the 2 will do little to effect the other.

Comment

Working...
                      X