No announcement yet.

Revisiting Rios vs Abril

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
    Don't like beating a dead horse, but I see that people keep bringing up this fight and implying its a guarantee that Rios would get ripped apart by anyone with skill.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, Abril was robbed badly. No way Rios won that fight. The decision stunk and those judges should have been disciplined.

Back to the fight. Its so obvious that Rios was horribly weight drained. Excuse or not, he was. He was lethargic, slow as hell, his punches had nothing on them and he looked like he was going to collapse out there. He was not himself. I don't understand how anyone can deny that.

Second, I fail to see how Abril "schooled" him. At first he was outboxing Rios a bit, but in the latter rounds he was just standing there letting Rios whack on his arms. Hardly a schooling, more like just winning.

So explain to me how that fight proves anything other than he shouldn't have been fighting at that weight.
    the "drainage" issue shouldn't even be considered or brought up, why? because
    nobody forced Rios to fight at 135. He signed the contract, he should have made the weight. If he couldn't agree to the terms of the contract, he should have terminated it. It's a shame people like yourself are giving him an excuse when it's his own fault he was a zombie.

Comment

Originally posted by circleinsidebox View Post
      the "drainage" issue shouldn't even be considered or brought up, why? because
      nobody forced Rios to fight at 135. He signed the contract, he should have made the weight. If he couldn't agree to the terms of the contract, he should have terminated it. It's a shame people like yourself are giving him an excuse when it's his own fault he was a zombie.
      He didn't want to man. But if you have a career making fight and payday dangled in front of you, you might be inclined to take that risk too. He thought he was getting Gamboa. Good thing for him he didn't as it turned out.

Comment

Lol he made Rios look utterly clueless for 12 rounds, that's a schooling. Abril won all 12 rounds, albeit not in the prettiest of fashions, but Rios couldn't figure out a way to get round that.

Rios should stay well away from Matthysse, he wouldn't just get embarrassed, he would also get rendered unconscious.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
          We're really getting caught up in semantics here.

Richie didn't exactly beat Brandon up, in my opinion, but Abril was able to do whatever he wanted without challenge in the fight. Abril appeared in complete control during the bout, while Rios was at a loss. "Bam Bam" threw nothing but ineffective punches and failed to make any adjustments whatsoever. Richard absolutely frustrated any attempts by Rios to score, while scoring enough of his own punches to win. He executed his game-plan perfectly and, despite what the "judges" saw, Richie won virtually every round clearly. While not pretty, the end effect was like watching a highly experienced boxer demonstrate how to handle a tough but untrained brawler. That, my friends, is a "schooling".
          Me personally it all showed in the Murray fight that he had absolutely no business staying at LW, his punches against Murray were ineffective as well, hardly any power behind them and it took him 11 rounds of arm punching to get the job done. A healthy Rios would have finished him within 4-5 rounds max, I'm sure most know this. So was I suppose to expect a better Brandon a second time around? This is why I was in the minority, I was one of the few consistently saying "Kill the Gamboa fight". Abril may have did his thing but it's easier to be the ring general when your opponent isn't even at 60%.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            He didn't want to man. But if you have a career making fight and payday dangled in front of you, you might be inclined to take that risk too. He thought he was getting Gamboa. Good thing for him he didn't as it turned out.
            I was leaning towards Rios if that fight ever materialized. I thought Brandon might be just a little too big for Yuri. It's still not a sure thing. After all, Abril is much taller and fights differently, but it would appear that Gamboa would've beaten Rios that night. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
              Me personally it all showed in the Murray fight that he had absolutely no business staying at LW, his punches against Murray were ineffective as well, hardly any power behind them and it took him 11 rounds of arm punching to get the job done. A healthy Rios would have finished him within 4-5 rounds max, I'm sure most know this. So was I suppose to expect a better Brandon a second time around? This is why I was in the minority, I was one of the few consistently saying "Kill the Gamboa fight". Abril may have did his thing but it's easier to be the ring general when your opponent isn't even at 60%.
              If Rios was as weak as you say (and it's certainly possible he was), Gamboa might've knocked him out. Yuri might've approached him a little carefully at first, but, once he sensed what was going on, he would've opened up. Gamboa is so fast and athletic, Brandon would've been dizzied. Those fast, hard "Ciclon" shots would've added up quickly. Alas....

Comment

Damn, I had forgotten that he looked like a holocaust victim for teh weigh in.

Comment

If Rios was as weak as you say (and it's certainly possible he was), Gamboa might've knocked him out. Yuri might've approached him a little carefully at first, but, once he sensed what was going on, he would've opened up. Gamboa is so fast and athletic, Brandon would've been dizzied. Those fast, hard "Ciclon" shots would've added up quickly. Alas....
                  Gamboa certainly would have won, I said before the fight that it takes a special fighter to deal with that kind of size disadvantage, especially when the opponent applies an insane amount of pressure. At 126 Gamboa could simply pot shot and land devastating counters from mid range, then once he has his opponents hurt or stunned he's able to bedazzle them with combinations, I don't think that would have worked against a healthy Rios. He would have needed to fight the perfect fight. Personally, I don't like the idea of Gamboa at 135, his size, especially lack of reach and style wouldn't translate well.

Comment

Gamboa certainly would have won, I said before the fight that it takes a special fighter to deal with that kind of size disadvantage, especially when the opponent applies an insane amount of pressure. At 126 Gamboa could simply pot shot and land devastating counters from mid range, then once he has his opponents hurt or stunned he's able to bedazzle them with combinations, I don't think that would have worked against a healthy Rios. He would have needed to fight the perfect fight. Personally, I don't like the idea of Gamboa at 135, his size, especially lack of reach and style wouldn't translate well.
                    Yep, I have my reservations, but we'll soon see. Yuri will probably just have a couple of fights at 130, then move up. That division doesn't promise anything.

Comment

Yep, I have my reservations, but we'll soon see. Yuri will probably just have a couple of fights at 130, then move up. That division doesn't promise anything.
                      Actually if we're strictly talking about opposition, I'd rather he stay at 130, you got talent south of that division, it'll require waiting but it's worth it. Maybe he can workout a catch weight to make certain fights more viable, Uchiyama would be a good opponent as well. Winner of Mendez-Salgado II is another option, not at all bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X