Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is ray Leonard beter than mayweather??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
    You gotta love it when people start off by apologizing for what they think they could do and then bow out with their tails tucked tightly between their legs.

Not only that but I've relegated you to posting your night's agenda so that you could demonstrate to us that you won't be sitting all alone crying in front of your computer?

Hahahahaha ... I should be paid for this.
    LOL you are one pathetic dude, going all crazy because you think you had your littel victory, you must be a pathetic looser judging by your excitement.
    :wank:

Comment

• Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
      They said the same thing about every great.

They told Ali that he could never have beaten Joe Louis.

They told Ray Leonard that he could never have beaten Henry Armstrong.

They told Tyson that he could never have beaten Ali.

They told Roy Jones that he would have never beaten Ray Robinson.

People will say what they will, but its a fact that people pine for what they had instead of for what they've got. So it stands to reason that some value the past way more than for what it really was.

Some people have no inclination pertaining to the strides in the sports science and technology that has proven to produce better and more capable athletes. That ignorance alone allows them to pontificate about that which they know that they or anyone else cannot quantify.

But then in the same breath, you'll find those SAME exact people ridiculing subjective pound for pound debates as if they lack any less substance.

Again ... the irony.

Good post.
      This is one of the dumbest most idiotic post I ever read.

Nobody said Roy can't beat Robinson. People said Roy can't beat SPINKS.
      People often judge Ali vs Tyson as a 50-50 fight as well.

You also don't know **** about Joe Louis so shut the **** up there please.

I think you forget that Floyd is 5'8 and come into fights at 150 (max).
      Ray Leonard or Prime Hearn's best weight is 147-154. They are 5'10 and 6'2. That size advantage combined with their boxing skills at the WW LEVEL is far too much to over come. It's not like they were unskilled bigger men.

They were SKILLED bigger men. This is something *****s can never understand.

You guys are saying a ***ing PRIME LIGHT WEIGHT can beat two MUCH BIGGER PRIME WELTERWEIGHTS.. of similar skill sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        A prime DLH doesn't beat Floyd, let alone to a pulp.

Let's not forget in 2000 DLH lost to Mosley, mainly because of Mosley's handspeed. Which was something Floyd had lots of in the year 2000. Did you forget how a past prime Pernell's defense had DLH in 97? Floyd is no Pernell, but young Floyd was untouchable in his own right, with his own defense. Did you forget how Quartey fought a close fight with DLH, and some people even thought Quartey won[i'm not one of them but it was close].

Okay then, let's not act like a 90s-early 2000s DLH was unbeatable. Better than a 2007 DLH, yes I agree; but so was Floyd. Floyd was better in the early 2000s than he was in 2006+. He did try to make the Mosley and DLH fights in 2004 but both of them turned him down. Mosley wanted 10mill, then he had a toothache and needed a "vacation". DLH understandably just didn't want to do business with Bob Arum. Sounds familiar? Vacations and not wanting to do business with Bob Arum? This is what Floyd does now, but only he's looked down on it while it was okay for Mosley and DLH to do it.
        A prime DLH would beat Floyd to a pulp, any of those 90s fighters would. Quartey,Tito,Shane, in there prime would give PBF all he could handle..

Shane threw 4-5-6 punch combos..I never seen Floyd throw punches in combination like that, and Shane chin was able to take DLH's best shots, thats just not a good match up for DLH, PBF's chin is decent but not even close to Shanes. Quarety was nothing to sneeze at in his prime..and thats when DLH fought him.

All the fighters you mentioned were all in there prime when DLH fought them with the exception of my man Sweet Pea who was in another league, And got robbed againts Chavez and DLH..

Comment

• I don't usually fall into the 'size=everything' category. But in the case of Floyd vs Hearns it can not be disputed.

Floyd don't have the Ko power to beat HEARNS, he can't out box Hearns. Hearns is 6 inches taller and under today's rules will probably come in to the fight at 165ish or some crazy mamba shyt.

Floyd will either end up losing every round or get knocked out.

It's hard for Floyd fans, but please please understand your God is not a Welterweight. He's not.

He naturally belongs in that midget class of 130-135 fighters (no disrespect to the tiny guy, but it is what it is)

Comment

• Originally posted by Priest Andretti View Post
            What fighter did he beat to a pulp on the same level as FMJ?
            Prime DLH pretty much fought close fights with almost every fighter that could be compared to Floyd's level or better. Whitaker, Quartey, and Mosley.

Comment

Prime vs Prime at a weight where both of them campaign in, Floyd has an easier night. Remember Floyd went up to 154, no catchweight, no fight night weight stipulations, and a lot of people agreed that he wasn't even that big of a WW to begin with.

And yes prime Floyd, 2001-2005, going back to 1999 and fighting DLH, would have won.
              how do you figure he would be a 1999 DLH?..if he barely beat a past his prime DLH?..

Comment

• Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
                A prime DLH would beat Floyd to a pulp, any of those 90s fighters would. Quartey,Tito,Shane, in there prime would give PBF all he could handle..

Shane threw 4-5-6 punch combos..I never seen Floyd throw punches in combination like that, and Shane chin was able to take DLH's best shots, thats just not a good match up for DLH, PBF's chin is decent but not even close to Shanes. Quarety was nothing to sneeze at in his prime..and thats when DLH fought him.

All the fighters you mentioned were all in there prime when DLH fought them with the exception of my man Sweet Pea who was in another league, And got robbed againts Chavez and DLH..
                I think you're underrating Floyd and overrating the 90s fighters. Quartey, Tito, Shane...they were very good in their prime, but aside from Shane they weren't exactly killers.

Comment

• Originally posted by onetwopunch View Post
                  how do you figure he would be a 1999 DLH?..if he barely beat a past his prime DLH?..
                  So you think P4P, prime for prime, 2001-2005 Floyd vs 96-00 Oscar, gets beaten to a pulp???

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    While it's true that athletes have sought a competitive edge by ingesting various things for many years, what we commonly refer to as "PEDs" have not been in use as long as you state. Please define what you mean by "PEDs". When you say, "juicing," you're using a term that implies steroid use.

The first batch of synthetic testosterone was formulated in 1935. But although the substance was compounded in the mid-thirties, it didn't immediately come into athletic use. Soviet athletes apparently started using steroids in the 40's. When the source of their dominance in strength-related sports was discovered, the U.S. followed suit.

It's debatable when athletes from other disciplines began using steroids. It's even more difficult to pin-point widespread use.
                    PEDs = Performance Enhancing Drugs

In the old days, some athletes were using things ranging from steroids to hormones to ******* to caffeine to Strychnine to amphetamines to methamphetamines. I'm aware of Adolf Butenandt and his development of steroids, but that was hardly the first time that a fighter or athlete doped up to gain an edge.

Comment

There's a difference between their resumes, but it's not exactly a bad difference.

Difference is Floyd has several good future Hall Of Famers in there like Marquez, De La Hoya, Mosley, Hatton*, Cotto*. Add the borderline hall of famers like Castillo, Corrales, Hernandez. Then just the good wins like Judah, Chavez, Gatti, Ortiz, and he's not done yet, who knows who he'll end up adding in his resume OR who he'll lose to.

Leonard has top ATG's on resume, Hearns, Duran, Hagler, one of the ATG Puerto Rican fighters Benitez. That is 4 ATG's, that's a lot. He beat other good fighters like Mayweather Sr himself.

That's the difference, Hall of Famers vs ATG's. But it's nothing bad about that. Floyd worked with what was given to him, like the Klitschko's working with the terrible HW division, it's not their fault. Floyd has added the majority of guys he was supposed to add. Sure Pacquiao and Margarito make his resume slightly better, but the fights couldn't come of for obvious reasons. He did still added Miguel Cotto in there as soon as it was possible to do so. As much as people make fun of Baldomir on his resume, it was actually a fight Floyd was being accused of ducking, and he added Baldomir in there too. Only two fights weren't made? Not bad. Floyd gave us at least 18 interesting match ups, that if they didn't happen, people would have accused him of ducking the person. Floyd has no fellow top ATG to fight aside from Pacquiao.

H2H, I mean come on, look at Leonard's style, height, and reach, other things like matching handspeed with Floyd, higher activity, moves around, great boxer. I love Floyd, but if I had to put money on it, I would have to pick Leonard.
                      Kev, damn good post.

I dont want to come across as hating terribly on floyds resume, i dont love it, but he will have some hof's on there (none prime). But srl has atg's galore.

Plus srl has the activity, precision, defense, power, and heart to take floyd by ko.

Comment

Working...
                      X