No announcement yet.

New study reveals boxing's fan base has almost doubled this decade

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AP♠ View Post
    Boxing viewership is owned by latinos worldwide true and proven fact.I do notice around me there's more boxing being talked about then there was a couple of years ago.Everything from casual to hardcore fans.It's like a chime ringing in you're ear immediately when you hear some boxing talk at a store line.
    You'd have some trouble explaining those Japanese figures then.

Comment

theres a revival of boxing in mexico, open tv is airing the best fights we pay here in the states for free in mexico, the 2 big networks televisa and azteca are competing, i remember back then when chavez sr was fighting don king struck a deal to sell his fights on mexican cable, all of a sudden all the good mexican fighters were tagged for chavez undercards and you didnt see them anymore in free tv, it was frickin sad, i remember i saw the barrera and erik early fights in "sabados de boxeo" when they were prospects and then they started to fight in vegas and no free or paid tv was shown, for more than 10 years boxing didnt even made it to the news, now more young kids are getting into gyms and we will see a huge wave of great prospects coming...

ppv is good when you use it for huge fights, but guys like the old fart started to even sell prospects and b level fights as ppv and that sux, do you guys remember top rank series of "latin furys" and "pinoy powers" ?? that was bullshiet,,, that shiet belonged in telefutura, solo boxeo and boxeo tecate...

Comment

Originally posted by brickcityboxing View Post
        Yea I like watching boxing in a group for the for the fun of it ... I like watching it the next day to score the fight lol ... Too much **** going on when there's a big group of people
        exactly! thats what i do, during fight time we drink like sailors, next day i cure my hangover with vodka and v8 juice watching the fight alone...

Comment

Originally posted by AP♠ View Post
          Boxing viewership is owned by latinos worldwide true and proven fact.I do notice around me there's more boxing being talked about then there was a couple of years ago.Everything from casual to hardcore fans.It's like a chime ringing in you're ear immediately when you hear some boxing talk at a store line.
          not worldwide but in the states i think we have a huge chunk...

Comment

Originally posted by croz View Post
            They are interested. It's just they can't pay the same wages as cable networks like HBO and Showtime. Boxers follow the money. NBC said this was the exact reason they stopped showing boxing, that was around the time they were starting up the new NBC fight night. NBC said they would focus on building their own star rather than paying someone to come over. All the good boxers went to HBO and Showtime. Boxing never got kicked off network TV, it left willingly.

Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-21-2012, 12:04 AM.

Comment

The fab four era, the Tyson era, even the HW era during the 90's gathered more attention in America. I can admit to boxing being popular worldwide these days, but there is no way it's more popular in America now than it was in the 60's 70's 80's or early-mid 90's.

It increased from 2000 because the early 2000's was hands down the worst period of boxing in terms of American interest. There was literally one fight everyone wanted to see. Tyson-Lewis. That fight was just a one sided beating from a Past Prime ATG against a Shot ATG. After that a series of fights failed to deliver.

. We are not blind, most of us follow sports. We know boxing is not consider an elite sport today. (Not in the United States)

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                The big fights generate interest. They bring new fans. Perhaps more importantly they keep old fans.

Tyson was also a phenomenon. He also brought a lot of fans to the sport, but that was 20 years ago
                yeah, so dont tell us that the reason why the boxing fan base go high right now is because of Philippines and Pac... boxing in the Philippines way back then is either same popular as now or much popular back then... Check the boxing history of in Philippines before you make a comment like that...

Comment

Had another look around and found an MMA Payout article saying MMA's US fan base was around 31 million in 2010. That could be considered the end of the peak. The UFC had a 25% drop off in 2011 which appears to have decreased more in 2012.

http://mmapayout.com/2010/11/the-ufc-fan-base/

The size of the UFC fan base in the United States is estimated to be approximately 31 million people. You can see below how this compares to the size of the general fan base of the other major sports played in the US over the last three years. Note that the UFC was the only property to experience growth in its fan base of the last three years.

according to this chart Boxing's fan base is around the same size as Nascar's and Basketball's. NFL is obviously the biggest with about 100 million.

Comment

Pacquiao!!

Comment

Boxing is no where near the NBA or basketball in terms of fans ... the NBA is in the same class as the MLB and the NFL ... boxing is a few tiers behind it ... but it was unquestionably more popular than the NBA/basketball until around the Tyson era and the 90s and has definitley fallen behind in the late 90s and 00s

I'd say its around the same level as tennis or a little above it

Comment

Working...
                      X