Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kimbo Slice made it as far as the pre season squad for the Miami Dolphins :|

super athlete.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      Because the USA dominated heavyweight boxing for 100 years or so. Then suddenly turned to crap for some reason.

Europe never had the same history of boxing dominance.

Ya.. but that's not the reason...

The nba/NFL is not the reason for the current situation of American Heavyweights.

Soccer is Europe's most popular sport
      If Soccer was America's most popular sport, Americans will take over a fair chunk of Europe's star ranks.. Obviously I'm not saying America can produce a Cristiano but they sure can produce a bunch of Theo Walcotts and a few Robin Van Persies.

It's all about interest.

The reason American HW'S are in a horrific state is lack of promotion and interest .. not because of some mythical NBA/NFL theory

Comment

• Originally posted by Skittlez View Post

The nba/NFL is not the reason for the current situation of American Heavyweights.

If Soccer was America's most popular sport, Americans will take over a fair chunk of Europe's star ranks.. Obviously I'm not saying America can produce a Cristiano but they sure can produce a bunch of Theo Walcotts and a few Robin Van Persies.

It's all about interest.

The reason American HW'S are in a horrific state is lack of promotion and interest .. not because of some mythical NBA/NFL theory
        welcome to the light side brudda.

Comment

• Originally posted by croz View Post
          The fact that you're trying to include the Olympics as one such sport shows just how lacking America's international sports are.
          Do we not compete against other countries internationally in the Olympics? Do we not win more often than we lose? That was the topic I was addressing. It sounds like you're just moving the goal posts.

The fact of the matter is that the Klitschkos dominate the heavyweight division in a time when there are no Alis, Fraziers, Holmes, or Holyfields. It's a joke to think that fat ass Chris Arreola is the best we have to offer.

You have to ask why we suddenly can't field a decent big man. Promotion and interest don't explain why they suddenly dropped off the face of the Earth.

Comment

Do we not compete against other countries internationally in the Olympics? Do we not win more often than we lose? That was the topic I was addressing. It sounds like you're just moving the goal posts.

The fact of the matter is that the Klitschkos dominate the heavyweight division in a time when there are no Alis, Fraziers, Holmes, or Holyfields. It's a joke to think that fat ass Chris Arreola is the best we have to offer.

You have to ask why we suddenly can't field a decent big man. Promotion and interest don't explain why they suddenly dropped off the face of the Earth.
            Yes it does.

Lennox Lewis himself said the reason he wanted to box and choose boxing over being an ATG Wide Receiver in the NFL is because he saw how big heavyweight boxing was to the American Mainstream and felt like he could become a star there or in England. Lewis grew up in the 80's and that was when boxing was still an premier sport in the United States.

Bowe, Holyfield, Mercer,Ruddock that entire generation of 90's heavys grew up in the 80's when heavyweights were very very popular.

80's watched the 70's.. who watched the 60's.
            Foreman watched Liston.

What happened from the 90's era to the 2000's era was that by the early 2000's. Lennox Lewis has cleaned house and there were no American young superstars left.

Lewis literally took away everything from their legends
            Holyfield-Tyson-Bowe to the up and coming super stars like Michael Grant.

When American TV Saw that.. they literally decided to go the foreign approach and attempted to promote Wladimir and Vitali instead.. That failed miserably and they haven't promoted Heavyweights since.

So Americans suffered from lack of promotion.. interest was dying .When the Foreigner Lennox knocked out American Icon Tyson.. heavyweight interest completely fell off the map and young super athletes no longer want to box.

As a result of Lennox Lewis though... emulation and adulation started in the UK.

David Price
            'I look up to Wladimir, but the boxer I want to be is Lennox Lewis'

David Haye
            'Lennox Lewis is who I want to be'

Tyson Fury
            'Ye Lewis'

Anthony Joshua
            'Lennox Lennox Lewis I want to be him'

Dillian White
            'Lennox I want to be him'

Comment

• Actually Lennox Lewis is probably the primary reason why heavyweights seized to exist in America.

When I get my thread making privileges back.. I will make another thread on this.

Comment

What happened from the 90's era to the 2000's era was that by the early 2000's. Lennox Lewis has cleaned house and there were no American young superstars left.
                But why weren't there any American young superstars left? We always had up and comers in the pipeline before.

I'll tell you why....at that point in time all the young big men got sucked into wanting to be the next Michael Jordan or an NFL star.

Comment

But why weren't there any American young superstars left? We always had up and comers in the pipeline before.

I'll tell you why....at that point in time all the young big men got sucked into wanting to be the next Michael Jordan or an NFL star.
                  Ok ya.. That is a great point. now that I think of it.
                  Hmm. ya maybe you are right.
                  Because now that I think of it ... from the late 90's era to the 2000's era... outside of Michael Grant.. there really wasn't any hyped up young American stars.
                  None. That have never happened before in any previous eras.

Interesting..

Comment

It's all about interest.

America isn't really the best country at boxing. Guys that weigh 165-152 and under can't play in the NBA or NFL, so why do we BARELY medal at the Olympic?

Comment

• Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
                      America isn't really the best country at boxing. Guys that weigh 165-152 and under can't play in the NBA or NFL, so why do we BARELY medal at the Olympic?
                      Because boxing is no longer a mainstream sport in the US.

But the rest of the World and especially Europe have progressed eons in popularity.

Eons.

Comment

Working...
                      X