Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NFL/Boxing Theory have some real weight behind it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American heavyweights also got smaller.

It's the truth.

Look at even the guys like Tony Tucker. Tyrell Biggs.
    They were 6'4-6'5 big men. Tucker had very good skills as well.
    Riddick Bowe was 6'6 and an elite super heavy.

Forget Bowe.. I think Tyrell Biggs would beat the living shyt out of every single AMERICAN heavyweight today.

Comment

• Its for sure there are a long line of NFL stars who, given a change of career into boxing and a few years of practice, would knock the Klits clean out, and they must know it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ColdCa$hCanelo View Post
        turned pro and did squat. being a great am doesn't equal a great pro. if be willing to bet most of the best fighters past and present had a whatever am background. its a completely different sport. because Jacobs was a state champ means squat.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
        Mayweather is one f the greatest fighters of this generation, don't let your hate blind you. Ward, Dawson, RJJ, Hokyfield etc. the list goes on and on. Not every great amateur fighter turns out to be a great pro however the majority of them are.

Like I said you completely missed the point, Jacobs didn't even attempt to turn pro, I bet he wasn't even fully committed to boxing as football was his main focus.

I guarantee you if Lennox Lewis was born in America he'd be playing football. He nearly quit boxing to play Am. football in Canada, a place where it's NOWHERE near as popular as it is in America.

If he was in America he'd have scouts/head coaches from universities begging him to join their football program with a free ride to college where his education would be paid for WITH an opportunity to even play in the NFL.

Comment

• Alot of the bigger boys are interested in more popular sports which is why us europeans dominate heavyweight atm

Comment

• Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
            Mayweather is one f the greatest fighters of this generation, don't let your hate blind you. Ward, Dawson, RJJ, Hokyfield etc. the list goes on and on. Not every great amateur fighter turns out to be a great pro however the majority of them are.

Like I said you completely missed the point, Jacobs didn't even attempt to turn pro, I bet he wasn't even fully committed to boxing as football was his main focus.

I guarantee you if Lennox Lewis was born in America he'd be playing football. He nearly quit boxing to play Am. football in Canada, a place where it's NOWHERE near as popular as it is in America.

If he was in America he'd have scouts/head coaches from universities begging him to join their football program with a free ride to college where his education would be paid for WITH an opportunity to even play in the NFL.
            This is probably true. Lewis was also just starting to dominate at WR when his AM Boxing career took off. He had the perfect Randy Moss height for WR as well.

But during the 80's.boxing in America was still a very very big thing in terms of mainstream.
            Hagler-Hearns front page newspaper etc. Leonard. Tyson and his domination etc.

So the incentive vs NFL at that time was at the very least 'equal' of not a straight out edge to boxing.

If Lennox was born 25 years later.. we will probably see him as a top 10 Draft Pick for the 2013 NFL Draft instead of a Heavyweight ATG.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              I dont mind people saying that there are lots of potential boxers in the NFL/NBA, but some people seem to be saying that they would automatically be ATG's if they fought. Id put good money that they wouldnt beat the Klitschkos even if theydve fought since they were 3 years old, because the klitschkos have PROVEN to be not just awesome athletes but also to have all mental aspects needed to compete in the ring. Being a great athlete in one sport does NOT necessarily translate into being a great athlete in another... see Micheal Jordans baseball career...
              Pele Reid removed Vitali from concisicuness with one kick dude.

Comment

• smh, just because a guy is super athletic doesnt automatically mean he will do well in the ring. they need to have the right fighting spirit as well and that isn't so common.

brock lesnar was a freak of nature even somewhat by nfl standards and he couldnt handle getting punched in the face in the ufc and folded like a lawn chair. that is just 1 example.

Comment

• NBA and NFL players earn more money than your average boxers. If these individuals wants to improve the American Heavyweight division. These guys needs to start learning the sports in their mid teens. Tyson was 15 yrs.old when he was trained by D'Amato and Rooney.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X3h-3RINB4

15 yrs.old Tyson vs. Joe Cortez

Comment

• **** this theory, the numbers don't bear out. There are about 2000 players in the NFL, that is a drop n the bucket. Good luck finding these beloved HW jewels in a sample size that small, and that ****geneous. The fascination with this theory is based in racial bias.

You might find some guys from these leagues but keep the numbers in perspective. We all know boxing doesn't require strictly athleticism.

Things that have really robbed the HW division:

Prison industrial complex/ The war on drugs (350,000 men of all races in prison for drug related offenses)
                    Economic and social mobility & opportunity
                    Education
                    Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 01-26-2013, 03:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                      **** this theory, the numbers don't bear out. There are about 2000 players in the NFL, that is a drop n the bucket. Good luck finding these beloved HW jewels in a sample size that small, and that ****geneous. The fascination with this theory is based in racial bias.

You might find some guys from these leagues but keep the numbers in perspective. We all know boxing doesn't require strictly athleticism.

Things that have really robbed the HW division:

Prison industrial complex/ The war on drugs (350,000 men of all races in prison for drug related offenses)
                      Economic and social mobility & opportunity
                      Education
                      Ya I changed my mind. This theory don't make sense at all.

Lennox Lewis would have domianted EMMITH Smith and Tom Brady.

Can you imagine Tom Brady taking a lennox upper cut?

Or Randy Moss taking a Lennox right hand?

Ya.. Nah

Comment

Working...
                      X