No announcement yet.

Wladimir Klitschko has taken a lot of "0"s in his career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It's Ovah View Post
    No, that still probably Povetkin. He might be the toughest 0 to take, though.
    I think if you look back at the pre Wlad/Povetkin , more ppl thought Povetkin can take it then Fury now can.
    in hindsight you can say that fury might be harder because you know the pov results , but i think we can all agree the prior to the fight Povetking looked much more risky fight then fury.
    and i bet Fury gets floored against Povetkin (same as wilder does when they face eachother).

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
      Why are you bringing amateurs into this? It's completely different to the pro game, especially in the 90s and most of the last decade with head gear and body shots not counting. Anyway, most of the heavyweight champs of the past were olympic or junior olympic champions or medallists.

And are you seriously going to claim that that Takam, Chambers and Chagaev are a murderers row? Heck, when he beat Chagaev, it was for a vacant version of the WBA strap...even though Wlad is the real champion in that organisation. Not to mention Chagaev was years past his best by now.
      No one here is claiming that they're a murderers row, but you seem to be suggesting that they're nobodies which is equally erroneous. Takam, Chambers, Chagaev and Perez are all very respectable names to have on one's resume, all legit top ten fighters at the time Povs beat them, two of whom had never been stopped before or even come close to being stopped.

Chambers in particular went on to nick a number of good scalps in the division, with wins over Brock, Peter and Dimitrenko, the latter a points win in Germany. Takam dominated Tony Thompson, a man who never gives anyone an easy night. Perez beat Abdusalamov. Takam and Perez fought to a draw, as did Perez and Jennings (effectively), one fight before Jennings gave Wlad his toughest fight in years.

Point being they're all proven top level fighters who've more or less fought the who's who in the division between them, barring overprotected guys like Wilder. Even Chagaev, who as you say was past his best, was still a skilled and experienced contender, one of those grizzled old veterans who can still get wins years after their prime has ended and is never an easy night for anyone.

Add in wins over Byrd and Huck, as well as solid second tier wins like Charr, Boswell and Larry Donald, and Povetkin's resume really isn't that bad at all. More than respectable, I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by bluzi View Post
        I think if you look back at the pre Wlad/Povetkin , more ppl thought Povetkin can take it then Fury now can.
        in hindsight you can say that fury might be harder because you know the pov results , but i think we can all agree the prior to the fight Povetking looked much more risky fight then fury.
        and i bet Fury gets floored against Povetkin (same as wilder does when they face eachother).
        Not really. Most people were expecting Wlad to dominate Povetkin, and only the fact that it was being held in Russia and that so much money had been poured into it from the Russian backers gave anyone pause for thought. Prior to the fight Povetkin had been matched soft, and in his last name fight nearly got beaten by a cruiserweight in Huck (albeit a damned good one). Hindsight has proven that Povetkin is a much better fighter than many people thought at the time, and provided he keeps notching up impressive wins then a rematch might be a totally different kettle of fish. But that's in hindsight.

Fury on the other hand, is the first fighter in years whom people are giving a decent chance to upset Wlad, even hardcore Wlad fans themselves, and one where intelligent debaters are genuinely discussing his chances. It might all be for naught, of course, but he's certainly the first fighter I'm going to be laying some money down on, and I have never betted against Wlad before, not even at the height of Hayemania.

Comment

Well I think that Fury will be a novelty fight for Wladimir but pretty sure he will be finished by round 4, no later than 6.

This outcome I have with considerable confidence.

Another 0 to the list for sure.

Comment

Klitschko is a legend. The more I watch Ali's fights, I am convinced he would beat Ali. And aside from him, I don't see any past HW giving him problems except for Tyson due to his agility/movement/power combination.

FURY will be a big test though.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
              Well I think that Fury will be a novelty fight for Wladimir but pretty sure he will be finished by round 4, no later than 6.

This outcome I have with considerable confidence.

Another 0 to the list for sure.
              In some threads you call it a 50/50 fight and Fury is one of the best ever, and now you're sure he'll be finished by round 4? lol

Comment

Taking 0s has become quite overrated. Ali and Lewis for example fought much better opposition but less opponents with 0s. This is because apart from all these guys fighting in a much stronger,more competitive era, top contenders would have to face one another to get shots, this especially true in the one title era. We must remember some of these 0s consist of leadfoot punching bag Wach and cancer survivor Pianeta.
                Last edited by KnockoutNed; 07-25-2015, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockoutNed View Post
                  Taking 0s has become quite overrated. Ali and Lewis for example fought much better opposition but less opponents with 0s. This is because apart from all these guys fighting in a much stronger,more competitive era, top contenders would have to face one another to get shots, this especially true in the one title era. We must remember some of these 0s consist of leadfoot punching bag Wach and cancer survivor Pianeta.
                  How good someone's opponents were is mainly a matter of opinion, which depends to a degree upon whether you like the fighter or not.

Chagaev, Ibragimov, Jennings, Povetkin, and 2005 Peter were all very good wins for Klitschko. Most people thought Peter would destroy him at that time.

I just hope you will be fair and give Klitschko credit after the Fury fight if he wins. I'm not sure he will win, for me it's a 60-40 fight, and I see many boxers and boxing pundits are predicting a Fury win.

Considering Wladimir will turn 40 a few months after the fight, and Tyson is a 6'9" age 26 undefeated opponent, Klitschko certainly deserves some respect if he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by KnockoutNed View Post
                    Your opinion, not fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
                      Your opinion, not fact.
                      Do you honestly believe that Wlad has fought better opponents than Lewis?

Comment

Working...
                      X