No announcement yet.

Mares is top 5 P4P

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    The ref really wasn't that bad last night. That kind of fight can be hard to call and Mares makes a lot look incidental (I think a lot of it is).

There needs to be warnings to both fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      if mares doesn't get knocked out by the left hook (or right hand,) he'd murder doniare. i think he'd UD him pretty easily.

real talk. mares is a very steady fighter.

all doniare does is punch hard. mares is a consistent fighter. donaire picks spots to look like roy jones, and otherwise does next to nothing.

mares problem is that he gasses in spots because he's so aggressive. donaire may catch him then, and i do think that he could knock him out with those things. he'll hurt anybody under 130 lbs if he catches them flush.
      All he does is hit hard? How about with perfect timing.... You act like he's vic d.

Donaire's handspeed is pretty ridic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
        All he does is hit hard? How about with perfect timing.... You act like he's vic d.

Donaire's handspeed is pretty ridic as well.

yes, timing in an integral part of being a great puncher.
        so does the speed. i'd characterize him more as explosive than i would fleet, though.

what else does he do, though?
        carry rounds with boxing?
        jab?
        avoid shots? (his face is regularly jacked up after fights,)

he usually just picks spots to be a puncher. at 122 lbs that's not going to win you fights against a guy with a work rate who can take your shots. the question is whether or not anybody can take those things if they land flush. i tend to doubt that they can until he hits 126 or 130 lbs.

he's got a good chin and he's a great puncher (and everything that comes iwth it, set up, timing, etc.)

hardest puncher i've ever seen when he was at BW. hard as nails at 122 as well.

Comment

not really.....but he is top ten p4p, but not above martinez or donaire just yet.

Comment

if mares doesn't get knocked out by the left hook (or right hand,) he'd murder doniare. i think he'd UD him pretty easily.

real talk. mares is a very steady fighter.

all doniare does is punch hard. mares is a consistent fighter. donaire picks spots to look like roy jones, and otherwise does next to nothing.

mares problem is that he gasses in spots because he's so aggressive. donaire may catch him then, and i do think that he could knock him out with those things. he'll hurt anybody under 130 lbs if he catches them flush.
            I think if Nonito doesn't hurt his hands during the fight, he'd stop Mares. I'm not sure if that get-in-your-chest-and-****-away style would work against a hard counter-puncher, and Mares gets a bit too reckless. I don't think Mares would stop Nonito either, as he's physically more sturdy than Moreno. Mares's aggression would be to his disadvantage because Nonito isn't going to move every-time Mares tries to bum-rush him. He'll plant his feet and let his shots go.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
              I think if Nonito doesn't hurt his hands during the fight, he'd stop Mares. I'm not sure if that get-in-your-chest-and-****-away style would work against a hard counter-puncher, and Mares gets a bit too reckless. I don't think Mares would stop Nonito either, as he's physically more sturdy than Moreno.

nonito wants you outside and looking to sharpshoot. if you walk into one you are good as dead, but he'd rather have you far away so he can control the pace.

that's the pace he likes. for a bw/FW he hardly throws anything. he fights like a big man, but he's not, and neither are his opponents. mares fights like a featherweight. he throws, he jabs, he breaks guys down.

if mares can get all the way inside nonito won't do anything with him. he'll probably try and hold on.

we'll see if he can starch mares on the way in. i don't think that he can.
              Last edited by New England; 11-11-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

yes, timing in an integral part of being a great puncher.
                so does the speed. i'd characterize him more as explosive than i would fleet, though.

what else does he do, though?
                carry rounds with boxing?
                jab?
                avoid shots? (his face is regularly jacked up after fights,)

he usually just picks spots to be a puncher. at 122 lbs that's not going to win you fights against a guy with a work rate who can take your shots. the question is whether or not anybody can take those things if they land flush. i tend to doubt that they can until he hits 126 or 130 lbs.

he's got a good chin and he's a great puncher (and everything that comes iwth it, set up, timing, etc.)

hardest puncher i've ever seen when he was at BW. hard as nails at 122 as well.
                well you could pretty much say the same thing with mares..all he showed last night was how aggressive, wild and reckless of a fighter he can be.
                I think if u put him in with a hard and fast counter puncher like donaire he could get beaten easily maybe even stopped. all donaire would need to do is time a left hand punch while mares charges in..could be his signature left hook or the left uppercut like he used against vazquez jr and nishioka. but i doubt we'll see mares charge in recklessly against donaire like he did against moreno. moreno doesn't have nearly the same power as donaire, and so mares had nothing to fear going crazy like he did last night.

also just look at my gif if u want to appreciate how skillful donaire is. people say all he has is a left hook, but underestimate his right hand (it was the right hand that put nishioka on his ass in the 9th). donaire blocks the left, tries to counter with his own left but misses..and he adjusts by throwing the straight right seeing as how nishioka was open for the right hand as he was backing away.
                Last edited by Bermuda; 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoggyLungs View Post
                  well you could pretty much say the same thing with mares..all he showed last night was how aggressive, wild and reckless of a fighter he can be.
                  I think if u put him in with a hard and fast counter puncher like donaire he could get beaten easily maybe even stopped. all donaire would need to do is time a left hand punch while mares charges in..could be his signature left hook or the left uppercut like he used against vazquez jr and nishioka. but i doubt we'll see mares charge in recklessly against donaire like he did against moreno. moreno doesn't have nearly the same power as donaire, and so mares had nothing to fear going crazy like he did last night.

also just look at my gif if u want to appreciate how skillful donaire is. people say all he has is a left hook, but underestimate his right hand (it was the right hand that put nishioka on his ass in the 9th). donaire blocks the left, tries to counter with his own left but misses..and he adjusts by throwing the straight right seeing as how nishioka was open for the right hand as he was backing away.

again, being a great puncher entails a good deal outside of simply being fast and strong. julian jackson is the hardest puncher i've ever seen. he was very explosive and strong, but he had GREAT timing that allowed him to throw when his guy's gloves weren't at home and protecting his face. donaire has that quality.

the fact remains that when donaire is not imposing his power punching abilities he's pretty ordinary and doesn't do much to carry the rounds. go back and watch the recent fights and you'll hear donaire getting booed because he's so inconsistent.
                  Last edited by New England; 11-11-2012, 11:31 AM.

Comment

nonito wants you outside and looking to sharpshoot. if you walk into one you are good as dead, but he'd rather have you far away so he can control the pace.

that's the pace he likes. for a bw/FW he hardly throws anything.

if mares can get all the way inside nonito won't do anything with him. he'll probably try and hold on.

we'll see if he can starch mares on the way in. i don't think that he can.
                    Nonito doesn't have a faulty chin/endurance/stamina. I'm pretty sure that he'll be there all 12 rounds, but I can't say the same for Mares. Moreno was beginning to put a dent in the later rounds, but he's also a better body puncher then Nonito. I think Mares/Donaire would be somewhat similar to Martinez/Chavez. One guy will be trying to force his way on the inside, and the other will prefer the outside/mid-range game. Chavez forced Martinez to display his inside game, and Mares will do the same. Mares doesn't have the size advantage, but has much better conditioning than Chavez. Nonito has the type of pop that Mares would need to respect. If he doesn't, then he'll most likely hit the canvas. Mares would fight at a more measured pace than he's used to, and Donaire will begin to pile on the rounds. There will be rough spots for him, and that would be the moment where he has to prove his in-fighting. Donaire would either have to stand and ****, put on his turtle shell and try to counter with uppercuts, or simply circle away. Moreno retreated for most of the fight because he simply didn't have the physicality to make Mares respect him. Mares could win a decision with his volume of course. That 120-106 score-card tells me that Donaire would need to let his hands go much more often than he's used to.
                    Last edited by kiaba360; 11-11-2012, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                      Nonito doesn't have a faulty chin/endurance/stamina. I'm pretty sure that he'll be there all 12 rounds, but I can't say the same for Mares. Moreno was beginning to put a dent in the later rounds, but he's also a better body puncher then Nonito. I think Mares/Donaire would be somewhat similar to Martinez/Chavez. One guy will be trying to force his way on the inside, and the other will prefer the outside/mid-range game. Chavez forced Martinez to display his inside game, and Mares will do the same. Mares doesn't have the size advantage, but has much better conditioning than Chavez. Nonito has the type of pop that Mares would need to respect. If he doesn't, then he'll most likely hit the canvas. Mares would fight at a more measured pace than he's used to, and Donaire will begin to pile on the rounds. There will be rough spots for him, and that would be the moment where he has to prove his in-fighting. Donaire would either have to stand and ****, put on his turtle shell and try to counter with uppercuts, or simply circle away. Moreno retreated for most of the fight because he simply didn't have the physicality to make Mares respect him.

his stamina is compromised by the nature of his attack. the guy throws far less than your average world class BW - FW, and that comes from his style. he throws bombs with full power. you start by digging your feet into the ground, generating torque with your hips, and then blasting through the target with your upper body. it's exhausting.

donaire couldn't fight any less like martinez, man.

want to see how a bantamweight usually fights? it's the most popular division in mexico.
                      leo santacruz is that guy. that's a bantamweight pace.

mares tires because of activity / the punches he takes. he's much more like your average FW - BW. he throws arm punches, uses the ring, throws pitty pat, will throw to the arms and shoulders just to land, etc.

donaire looks for big stuff. he fights much more like a bigger man, and that comes with the notion that he can produce an ATG knockout with either hand. i don't really blame him. confidence in your power is something a puncher is born with.

if mares is on the outside and patient he'll lose. he knows that. he'll look to tget all the way inside, which will force nonito to stop fighting like a big man and more like a man of his size, which he's never done well and certainly won't learn to do overnight against mares.

again, if he cant stop mares or hurt him i can't see him winning on the cards. all he's got to win this fight is his punch.
                      Last edited by New England; 11-11-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X