Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was Cotto able to beat Margarito in the rematch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imatroll View Post
    yea because Mosley broke Margaritos orbital bone.
    Nope, just his spirit

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
      I was going to put that as one of the poll options but Robert Garcia is an even better trainer than Capetillo so I thought better of it.
      If he had had a better corner in the Pacquiao fight, the fight might've been stopped before Margarito had permanent damage done to his face.

It wasn't competitive, and Marg's face was being visibly destroyed. I don't like him, but that's just not something you should let your fighter go through. Willing to die or not.

Comment

Three major reasons:

1. Cotto's agility was dramatically improved for the second fight. His directions changes were very smooth which made it much more difficult for Margarito to walk him down and cut off the ring. Additionally, he glided away from exchanges much easier after landing his shots giving Margarito no stationary target to fire back at. Based on how Cotto performed, and the limited video evidence we have of Pedro Diaz' training, this was clearly a major priority for them and they succeeded admirably.

2. In the first fight, it was Margarito's uppercuts that really hurt Cotto and turned the fight in his favour. Second time around, Cotto made sure that wasn't going to happen by making a few small adjustments. Obviously, he didn't stand and trade as much, but more importantly, when Margarito did get him against the ropes, Cotto stuck his head right into Margarito's chest so there was no space to throw that shot. It frustrated the hell out of Margarito, and because Cotto's agility and footwork was so superior, when Margarito tried to reposition himself Cotto just stepped out of danger.

3. Margarito was simply not as good a fighter as he was in the first fight. The Mosley and Pacquiao fights, and in particular the long layoff left him well off the pace Cotto set. He struggled to cope with Cotto's increased workrate (in terms of movement), and when he did get in range he was swinging like a rusty gate. Given the adjustments Cotto made, I'm not sure the Margarito of the first fight would have beaten him. But the guy that showed up for the second sure as hell didn't stand a chance.

Comment

this fight almost didn't happened because of margs f''ckd up eye
          i mean ,his eye already got f''ckd up after only the second round..it was sickening
          that fight should've never happened

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
            Three major reasons:

1. Cotto's agility was dramatically improved for the second fight. His directions changes were very smooth which made it much more difficult for Margarito to walk him down and cut off the ring. Additionally, he glided away from exchanges much easier after landing his shots giving Margarito no stationary target to fire back at. Based on how Cotto performed, and the limited video evidence we have of Pedro Diaz' training, this was clearly a major priority for them and they succeeded admirably.

2. In the first fight, it was Margarito's uppercuts that really hurt Cotto and turned the fight in his favour. Second time around, Cotto made sure that wasn't going to happen by making a few small adjustments. Obviously, he didn't stand and trade as much, but more importantly, when Margarito did get him against the ropes, Cotto stuck his head right into Margarito's chest so there was no space to throw that shot. It frustrated the hell out of Margarito, and because Cotto's agility and footwork was so superior, when Margarito tried to reposition himself Cotto just stepped out of danger.

3. Margarito was simply not as good a fighter as he was in the first fight. The Mosley and Pacquiao fights, and in particular the long layoff left him well off the pace Cotto set. He struggled to cope with Cotto's increased workrate (in terms of movement), and when he did get in range he was swinging like a rusty gate. Given the adjustments Cotto made, I'm not sure the Margarito of the first fight would have beaten him. But the guy that showed up for the second sure as hell didn't stand a chance.
            Excellent insight.

Comment

Originally posted by GUEVARA View Post
              that was past prime cotto as well.

Just so we make it clear, dont want no flowmo thinking that version who bloodied floyds nose was anywhere prime.

just a clarification.
              So sick of this **** and "prime." Just because he was in better physical shape doesn't necessarily mean he would have done better against Floyd. Personally... I think Cotto did better and 154 with Floyd older, simply because Floyd had more legs 5 years ago. Yes, Cotto still had a great jab and cut off the ring just as well as he does now, but his defense was FAR FAR worse. He could have taken more punches, but he would have been hit cleanly far more, especially with the uppercut which he was open for anyway.

The fight should have been made after Mosley, IMO. But what are you going to do, more people would have picked Cotto to win back then, but it would have been a more lopsided fight, forget the cards the fight was extremely competitive especially for a Floyd fight.

Comment

Same ole Cotto!

Do I think Margarito cheated in the first fight, yes! Do I or any of you have difinitive proof, no! I like Cotto and have been of fan of his since his early days but he has been in some wars and his better days are behind him.

With that said, Cotto looked a little better in this fight but if you noticed towards the 8th round on he was getting a little discouraged from hitting Margarito with everything and he still kept coming forward. I think the difference in this fight was definitely Pedro Diaz. The problem with Cotto is that he trains to win a fight by the 7th round and gasses out badly! If Cotto had better cardio and fought like it was a 15 rounder then he would of gave Margarito a serious beat down. I just think Margarito still had some fight left in him when the fight was stopped and I for one would of loved to have seen what would of happened in those final 2 rounds! Maybe Cotto could of got the KO or ......? We'll never know!

I still think he beats Trout though. After seeing Trout fight Delvin Rodriguez, in that snooze fest, Cotto will bring a lot more pressure than what Delvin was able to and I see Cotto maybe winning by TKO late or UD.

Comment

Because Shame Roidsley and Manny Pedquiao ruin margaritos carrer,kneeguel quitto just took advantage of that, we all know he is a coward that try to kill his uncle, Remember when kneeguel quitto was talking all that crap about margarito, margarito responded, that he will fight cotto bare handed , and was willing to rematch Quitto in PR but kneeguel did'nt wanted nothing of that until Many giant head Pedquiao, weight drain , margarito and hurt his eye then Kneeguel Quitto start to ask for rematch what a ****in coward pice of ****.

Comment

Originally posted by guerrerosoul View Post
                    Because Shame Roidsley and Manny Pedquiao ruin margaritos carrer,kneeguel quitto just took advantage of that, we all know he is a coward that try to kill his uncle, Remember when kneeguel quitto was talking all that crap about margarito, margarito responded, that he will fight cotto bare handed , and was willing to rematch Quitto in PR but kneeguel did'nt wanted nothing of that until Many giant head Pedquiao, weight drain , margarito and hurt his eye then Kneeguel Quitto start to ask for rematch what a ****in coward pice of ****.
                    calmate wey

Comment

Margarito took two severe ass whippings from mosley and pac. He took more damage than most fighters since he has such a good chin. If he had a lesser chin he would have gotten KTFO in like round 4 so thats a lot of rounds of avoided punishment.

Cotto was always the better boxer than margo, the second time he had a better trainer and fought a smarter fight. He had the ability to win the first fight but he didnt fight the right fight and didnt use enough movement to avoid margo. Targeting the eye that pac already broke helped a lot too.

Personally I think Margo did use loaded wraps in cotto 1, but you can explain the differences in the fights even if you dont think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X