This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by whitealltrac View Post
    This is the future, the next wave of PR champs.

Boxing results today 1.3.13

Unbeaten WBO #1 lightweight Jose “Chelo” Gonzalez (22-0, 17 KOs) was victorious when Alejandro Rodriguez (18-9, 10 KOs) remained on his stool at the beginning of round six. It was a good fight with Gonzalez coming on as the bout progressed.

Unbeaten WBO #9 super flyweight McJoe Arroyo 12-0, 7 KOs) won by TKO in round four when the corner of Felipe Rivas (16-11-1, 9 KOs) indicated their fighter had taken enough punishment.

2012 Olympian and lightweight super prospect Felix Verdejo (3-0, 2 KOs) scored a third round TKO Jose Santiago (2-4, 2 KOs). Verdejo dropped Santiago in round one and finished him in the third. Time was :26.

Flyweight Olympian McWilliams Arroyo (14-1, 12 KOs) scored a fourth round KO against Miguel Tamayo (14-6-2, 12 KOs).

A WBO Latino flyweight battle between WBO #12 Jonathan Gonzalez (11-0, 10 KOs) and Omar Salado 23-5-2, 14 KOs) ended in a no contest after Gonzalez was injured from an unintentional rabbit punch after just 73 seconds.

Jr middleweight John Karl Sosa (5-0, 4 KOs) scored a one-sided four round decision over Daniel Rodriguez 1-8-1, 1 KO). Scores 40-35 on all cards.

All prospects doing well. You see we have a healthy root. Here they come!!
    Nice.

How did Verdejo look? He fought only two weeks ago. Felix KOed his "opponent" having thrown literally two punches. lol

Comment

Originally posted by whitealltrac View Post
      Puerto Rico is a grain of salt compared to the top boxing countries. We dont have much to choose from when it comes to any sport since we only have approx. 3.9 million people living at the island. Yet we have managed to become a meca on boxing, basketball, baseball just to name a few sports. Same goes with actors, singers and even a few Miss Universe.

We have produced the best of the best on just about everything when compared per capita vs the world. Nothing to be ashamed here we represent wherever we are. That goes for the good the bad and the ugly too.

Viva mi isla Puerto Rico.
      You can't compare PR to the world when it comes to that stuff. It has an unfair advantage and I'm sure you all know what that advantage is. Its the same reason why Mexico is so much into boxing and has so many champions compared to Central America, South America and the rest of the world. The answer is simple whether people want to admit it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
        You can't compare PR to the world when it comes to that stuff. It has an unfair advantage and I'm sure you all know what that advantage is. Its the same reason why Mexico is so much into boxing and has so many champions compared to Central America, South America and the rest of the world. The answer is simple whether people want to admit it or not.
        Just curious, what is that advantage?

This is a very interesting thread. IMHO, the youth is not fully focused on the sport and I have to agree with BossH that looks, status has much to do with it. Let along the pollution of drugs, excess party and other distractions are more important than fully focusing on the sport which requires 100% attention.

I hope for the best!

War PR!

Comment

Puerto Rico will always have fighters but as of right now, PR don't got much besides Danny.
          Last edited by Bigg Rigg; 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ROSS CALIFORNIA View Post
            What advantage do you speak of?

Comment

TBH at the moment PR is behind Mexico, Cuba and Argentina. They have always been behind Mexico but to fall behind the other two just shows how much they have slipped.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtThouFurious? View Post
                Say what you want about the state of Puerto Rico boxing today. But historically, they are probably the #1 exporter of elite world class boxers in a per capita sense.

Puerto Ricans have been to boxing what Samoans are to the NFL.
                Historically, Cubans and a handful of European countries were never allowed to compete. Of course they had world class boxers, most of their competition came from the America(s)

You said there's 3 million something population in Puerto Rico.... Think of all the millions in America, as well. When you factor that in, it's really not THAT impressive (no hate) and the Samoan-NFL comparison doesn't make sense, IMO... Boxing is a global sport, in 2013 it really is world wide. American football is only practiced and played in America. Not like those Samoans are coming from New Zealand, those are like 3rd generation, Americanized Samoans lol.

Anyway, did Rosado loss his mandatory status to K9 by fighting GGG? I would like to see more of Rosado, he showed a lot of heart.

Comment

Quick question. Why do PR fans claim there's only 4 million people on their island so per capita they are doing well. Yet they also claim PR americans such as danny garcia. If you're going to claim danny garcia add the millions of PR americans as well right?

Comment

Originally posted by Money_May View Post
                    Quick question. Why do PR fans claim there's only 4 million people on their island so per capita they are doing well. Yet they also claim PR americans such as danny garcia. If you're going to claim danny garcia add the millions of PR americans as well right?
                    nah bro...the Ricans that live on the island don't claim Danny...there's a thread on here where they was giving reasons why...but yea, I agree...the Rican-Americans should be counted as well, especially when BOTH parents are 100% Rican

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Philadel View Post
                      nah bro...the Ricans that live on the island don't claim Danny...there's a thread on here where they was giving reasons why...but yea, I agree...the Rican-Americans should be counted as well, especially when BOTH parents are 100% Rican
                      Really? I had no idea they didn't claim Danny over in PR. I see a lot of boricua posters with Danny plastered everywhere lol. Yeah it should include Rican Americans as well. Not sure how many there are in the states though.

Comment

Working...
                      X