Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What has Sergio Martinez really done to impress all of you so much?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He's knocked out some good fighters one after another, the only one that wasn't somebody to care about was Darren Barker. His skill and talent are obvious to see, even if his opponents haven't been complete world beaters, but again other than Darren Barker, Sergio has been beating the fighters he should be beating.

I do think he's slightly overrated, just slightly, but he's a hell of a fighter. The stamina he showed to constantly move and through against Chavez was amazing, I didn't think he do that for damn near 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by SonOfCuba View Post
      I'm not criticizing Martinez, and I think he is a good champion, but what impressive victories does he have that has caused so many people to rate him so high.

I know the Williams knockout was impressive, his win against Kelly Pavlik was ok I guess.

But what else, what I'm I missing?
      What impressive victories does Rigondeaux have that has caused you to rate him so high?

Comment

Originally posted by heat27 View Post
        kelly loss to one guy before fighting martinez and that fight wasnt even in his weight class. martinez beat his ass at his weight class.
        and? kelly pavlik was still not a very good fighter.

Comment

and most people on this site pick kelly to beat martinez , now every1 wants to rewrite history and act like they knew all long kelly wasnt that good lol
          not me. i actually made a thread ages ago saying that mayweather should have gone up to middleweight when pavlik was the champ, thats how poor i think pavlik is.

Comment

Originally posted by shade darkar View Post
            not me. i actually made a thread ages ago saying that mayweather should have gone up to middleweight when pavlik was the champ, thats how poor i think pavlik is.
            ok thats your opinion

but the fact is kelly was champ and many pick him to win.

Comment

ok thats your opinion

but the fact is kelly was champ and many pick him to win.
              fair enough. gavin rees was champ aswell......

Comment

fair enough. gavin rees was champ aswell......
                I had to look him up and he's a lightweight so I'm confused as to why you brought it up...

Pavlik was the lineal champ.
                Last edited by Juanma9; 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Juanma9 View Post
                  Pavlik was the lineal champ.
                  i know, but he was still crap.

Comment

Sergio is a giant killer. Beating bigger guys by KO at 154 and 160. Just beat the snot out of a cruiser. Cintron, PWill, Pavlik, Chavez all victims.

I would say that beating Macklin and Barker by KO is just as valid as beating Sturm or Geale since they were all so competitive with Sturm.

Great combos, great movement, killer instinct, one punch ko power, awkward southpaw, exciting fights, not afraid to mix it up. Why shouldn't he be ranked so high? He has used these tools against top level guys, its not like he just displayed this in one fight.

Comment

i know, but he was still crap.
                      Not much I can say here...

The fact is that Sergio was the underdog leading to the fight; going up in weight to fight the middleweight lineal champ.

It's not his fault that some clairvoyant from NSB knew all along that it was a mismatch, so I don't see how it takes away from his accomplishment. I hope you made a lot of money that night.

Comment

Working...
                      X