Collapse
No announcement yet.

PACMAN vs BAM BAM: Sign Me Up!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This brings up something I think about - legitimacy versus excitement in deciding opponents.

Rios is not a legitimate an opponent as, say, JMM or Bradley. No-one is gonna look back years from now and cite it as a great win on the resume or its historical importance.

But picking Rio makes for a more exciting fight. Of course, if its a complete blowout for Pac (which isn't out of the question - he would be teeing off on Brandon from the first minute), it wouldn't be that exciting.

The thing is - when I think of this fight, I think of the negatives; Rios not being a great fighter, Fl00mos jumping all over this choice of opponent, Pac being a big favourite to win, etc.

But then I ask myself the fundamental question - would I like to see this?

And the honest answer is yes. More than I do a Bradley re-match. Let's be real - Tim would be back-pedalling and pot-shotting Pac like he did in the second half of their fight. Do I really want to see that?

I think because of Manny's standing, we all want his every fight to be a legacy builder.

But isn't an exciting fight enough of a reason? I think it's fine if you're active fighter like Pac is.

Another thing is - Pac is one of the representatives of this sport, like it or not. And I want the world to see him shine. And that's not gonna happen against JMM or Bradley.

So, while I have reservations about this fight, I'm not dying to see it - the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
      go make a Kell Brook vs PAC thread

ask if anyone besides Kell Brook's family would be interested

i'll take an in house war over some crappy ass fight that no one gives a crap about
      Its a more credible fight than Rios thats about as factual as the earth is round sky is blue etc. Rios can earn a fight with pac by the end of 2013. whip garcia which he could, whip malinaggi which he could, whip ortiz at 147 which he could. He whipped a fringe contender at 140 if thats all it takes to get a pac fight i fear pac is going the way of rjj.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
        Its a more credible fight than Rios thats about as factual as the earth is round sky is blue etc. Rios can earn a fight with pac by the end of 2013. whip garcia which he could, whip malinaggi which he could, whip ortiz at 147 which he could. He whipped a fringe contender at 140 if thats all it takes to get a pac fight i fear pac is going the way of rjj.
        also if rios did any of the things i listed it would give him better standing in a fight with pac mentally and exp wise.

Comment

C'mon man. Brook versus Pac over a Rios fight?

It's barely more credible. And a heck of a lot less exciting prospect.

Sometimes we're all so immersed in the culture of the sport that we forget that boxing is supposed to entertain us. Granted, last night was great because it was highly exciting AND a very credible match-up. But it reminded me that sometimes, I wanna be entertained. I'm kinda bored of seeing fighters like Clottey, Mosley and Bradley refusing to engage with Pac.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
            This brings up something I think about - legitimacy versus excitement in deciding opponents.

Rios is not a legitimate an opponent as, say, JMM or Bradley. No-one is gonna look back years from now and cite it as a great win on the resume or its historical importance.

But picking Rio makes for a more exciting fight. Of course, if its a complete blowout for Pac (which isn't out of the question - he would be teeing off on Brandon from the first minute), it wouldn't be that exciting.

The thing is - when I think of this fight, I think of the negatives; Rios not being a great fighter, Fl00mos jumping all over this choice of opponent, Pac being a big favourite to win, etc.

But then I ask myself the fundamental question - would I like to see this?

And the honest answer is yes.
            More than I do a Bradley re-match. Let's be real - Tim would be back-pedalling and pot-shotting Pac like he did in the second half of their fight. Do I really want to see that?

I think because of Manny's standing, we all want his every fight to be a legacy builder.

But isn't an exciting fight enough of a reason? I think it's fine if you're active fighter like Pac is.

Another thing is - Pac is one of the representatives of this sport, like it or not. And I want the world to see him shine. And that's not gonna happen against JMM or Bradley.

So, while I have reservations about this fight, I'm not dying to see it - the more I think about it, the more I like it.

excellent points...

people who are crying for 'legacy building' fights are nitpicking...we're talking about the most decorated fighter in the last decade and we're asking for legacy building fights?

the PAC brand was built on excitement...with retirement just around the corner, and if Arum is just gonna milk him anyway, why not milk him for those last exciting fights

Comment

I can agree with the fact that Rios resume is shallow heading into a fight with Pacquiao, but given the alternatives, the matchup doesn't offend me as a boxing fan. It's not like he's ducking, Leonard, Hearns and Duran. 140 are 147 are divisions that are filled with a lot of young fighters that are still building their resumes.

Comment

dude

will you stop for a second and read what the f0ck you're typing??

kell brook...c'mon man...just stop

Comment

It isn't a fight I want to see. If Pacquiao was fighting in the 140lb division then sure it'd be a relevant fight so far as stamping his supremacy of the division goes. As things stand Rios has just dipped his feet in the division, has done little throughout his career and is stylistically tailor made for Pacquiao.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                    C'mon man. Brook versus Pac over a Rios fight?

It's barely more credible. And a heck of a lot less exciting prospect.

Sometimes we're all so immersed in the culture of the sport that we forget that boxing is supposed to entertain us. Granted, last night was great because it was highly exciting AND a very credible match-up. But it reminded me that sometimes, I wanna be entertained. I'm kinda bored of seeing fighters like Clottey, Mosley and Bradley refusing to engage with Pac.
                    man brook would getko'd and pacquiao malinaggi 24/7 would be the greatest of them all. pac whips paulie but thats a great fight. rios doesnt deserve the fight at all and the only reason is arums greed thats its a possibility. think if rios moved up to 147 and whip paulie had a belt in say april. the nov pac ppv with rios would be awesome legit and would give rios a leg to stand on as far as a chance of beating pac. hes a fun fighter and has intangibles that can make him worldclass. give him the foundation to actually have a chance in a pac fight.

Comment

As long its at 140 and floyd is still ducking im all for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X