No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Donaire, Rios Secure High Impact Wins at Home Depot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Donaire, Rios Secure High Impact Wins at Home Depot

by Cliff Rold - In a steady, workmanlike performance, 29-year old WBO Super Bantamweight champion Nonito Donaire (30-1, 19 KO) of San Leandro, California scored two knockdowns en route to a ninth-round stoppage of defensive minded 36-year old former WBC Super Bantamweight titlist Toshiaki Nishioka (39-5-3, 23 KO) of Tokyo, Japan on Saturday night at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. It was Donaire’s first knockout win in four fights and only the second loss inside the distance for Nishioka dating to 1995.

Both men came in under the division limit, Donaire at 121 ½ and Nishioka at 121 ¾. The referee was Raul Caiz Sr.

The lineal crown at 122 lbs., vacant since Israel Vazquez announced he was done with the division in 2009, was widely considered to be on the line coming into the fight given the divisional accomplishments of the two men.

Nishioka gave up the World Boxing Council (WBC) title without losing it for personal cited reasons after a seven-defense reign from 2008-2012 that included a win over likely future Hall of Famer Rafael Marquez. [Click Here To Read More]

inb4 Rigo ducking trolling

Comment

good win for nonito!! let the haters hate!!

Comment

Nonito is a beast..fight rigo please. give us what we want.now on Rios was a great fight but I don't see him beating danny Garcia or Lucas..

Comment

robert has the trainer of the year award in the bag....

Comment

Originally posted by subhuman View Post
            inb4 Rigo ducking trolling
            just ask them who has rigo fought..

Comment

This kid can punch..good fight for nonito. They trying to throw this rios kid to the wolves..he's got a wicked punch but he'd get peppered all night long in a match vs pacquiao...I guess it would be Rios would serve as pacquaio's ortiz lol

Comment

Originally posted by turnedup View Post
                This kid can punch..good fight for nonito. They trying to throw this rios kid to the wolves..he's got a wicked punch but he'd get peppered all night long in a match vs pacquiao...I guess it would be Rios would serve as pacquaio's ortiz lol
                yeah pretty much right, haha. rios should focus on staying in his own weight division. very solid opposition at 140 for him. we'll see what happens with him though, i can imagine arum throwing him at pacquiao to feast on.
                as for donaire, he really should fight the winner of mares/moreno. i don't want to say he's ducking rigondeaux because i can see where he's coming from saying he needs more wins/exposure, but there should be no excuse not to fight the winner of mares/moreno. i'm def not up for an arce fight, but if he wants to take it before facing the mares/moreno winner, i'm okay with that. i'd lose a ton of respect for him though, if he moved up after the arce fight without facing the mares/moreno winner.

Comment

gbp-tr feud could get in the way of a possible garcia/mathysse against rios. if it does, then who has tr got at 140? he could fight bradley but it aint a good sell. hmm. who else, pac/jmm winner?

Comment

Brandon Rios is one tough hombre...his style is crude but effective. There are plenty of holes to exploit but u have to be willing to absorb his onslaught. I think he's an absolute threat to anybody in the div as well as my beloved jmm. Pacquiao also. Khan's style would prolly pose the biggest challenge. But AK wouldn't stand up to those per shots. I thought the stoppage was premature but I accept it.

As far as nonito is concerned...no question that he has the goods. What bothers me is that I somehow walk away from his fights feeling like something's missing. The 1 punch ko's hide flaws in his temperament. & I somehow feel like guys are more competitive than they thought they'd be but just don't compete to win. Tonight it felt like had TN fought like he had from Dr 6 on....we would've gotten to see more & know more about both fighters. Up til then it wasn't even a real contest. But after it felt competitive. I really don't know wut nonito has in his bag BC I've yet to see him tested. & the fact that he's even mentioning leaving a super loaded & talented div where he just arrived troubles me. He says he needs to be excited to fight a guy like Rico & needs to see more. But if fighting & beating someone as decorated & heralded as the greatest amateur ever by many who happens to hold a title after only 11 pro fights & campaigns in the same div....I don't know wut to tell nonito. That just sounds off. Its like a mayweather response. Pretty wack. But I do recognize that typically elite fighters don't get knocked out.& he's taken more than a few out to the killing field & that has to be saluted....just knock off the ***gy stuff flash....I wanna see exactly how good u really are.

Comment

Working...
                    X