Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise, surprise, Donaire continues to duck Rigo. .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SoggyLungs
    first off he is 36 years old. nishioka wanted donaire after having beat marquez and donaire wanted nishioka as his first fight at 122 (but nishioka decided to first take a year off). also who should have been #1 then if you think nishi isn't? rigo? for beating a prospect and a guy who wasn't even ranked top ten in the division? win against rico ramos rightfully put rigo at #2 eventhough ramos wasn't that great to begin with and got lucky with shimoda. plus nishioka is still a much more credible opponent than any of rigo's wins or mares' win against morel....nishioka was ranked #1 for 2010, 2011 and 2012 by ring ****zine. nishioka wasn't perceived as #1 years ago when you had guys like juan manuel lopez and caballero in the division..plus you say that for the past 2 or 3 years he hadn't fought real competition when he outclassed rendall munroe in 2010 who was ranked top ten in the division at the time.
    You are right, he is 36 and a beast... Been the best as you can see is relative, boxing is "what had you done for me lately" and Nishioka win vs another past his prime and worn out warrior wasn't impressive+the vacation that he took to me doesn't make a #1, IMO and had say this before, the 122 #1 rank is up for grab, RAmos, Cordova and Marroquin (I think he is going to be a force to be reckon with it), Vazquez jr, MAthebula Nishioka, and MAres-Morel, win over those guys doesn't make you the King, they need to fight each other and whoever emerge as the winner should be crowned the best...
    Last edited by garfios; 10-15-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
      John has as strong a claim as anyone. Salido has JuanMa but he's also lost to some guys (like Cruz) who couldn't shine Jonn's shoes. John has soft shoed a lot of his reign but he's a very good fighter. I'd rather see Salido first for action, but John would be fine.

chris john is nobody, and he's done nothing. that he's even mentioned with top fighters is a joke.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
        chris john is nobody, and he's done nothing. that he's even mentioned with top fighters is a joke.
        His reign has gone south, and his biggest win I thought he lost (Marquez, though I know plenty I respect who liked the decision), but John has his share of quality wins and is a very good defensive boxer. He's past his best, but I don't think he's a joke at all.

I get it though. A guy with his numbers who doesn't even try to unify his class and validate them is suck. His reign is better than Artur Grigorian and Sven Ottke. That's not saying much.

Comment

His reign has gone south, and his biggest win I thought he lost (Marquez, though I know plenty I respect who liked the decision), but John has his share of quality wins and is a very good defensive boxer. He's past his best, but I don't think he's a joke at all.

he came to the states and got his face jacked up by rocky juarez, my friend. i scored the marquez fight for marquez as well. sh#t fight. i have not seen it in at least five years.

i'm wondering what he's done that makes his inclusion in a discussion of the best and most accomplished contemporary fighters at FW appropriate.

his last two fights were agaisnt guys i've never even heard of. prior to that it was yordan and saucedo, who are nobodies. saucedo never left argentina before or since. yordan got the sh#t beat out of him by caballero. his only win in the states was a MD in an 8 rounder, against a journeyman.

and prior to that you've got the juarez fights, which were in '09.

he's done nothing in the last few years, and he hasn't looked spectacular doing it. he's not a top fighter, man.

Comment

he came to the states and got his face jacked up by rocky juarez, my friend. i scored the marquez fight for marquez as well. sh#t fight. i have not seen it in at least five years.

i'm wondering what he's done that makes his inclusion in a discussion of the best and most accomplished contemporary fighters at FW appropriate.

his last two fights were agaisnt guys i've never even heard of. prior to that it was yordan and saucedo, who are nobodies. saucedo never left argentina before or since. yordan got the sh#t beat out of him by caballero. his only win in the states was a MD in an 8 rounder, against a journeyman.

he's done nothing in the last few years, and he hasn't looked spectacular doing it. he's not a top fighter, man.
            I think the only answer is keep winning pretty easy. I agree with much of what you said, but I don't think that makes him not a top fighter. He can still go, if slowing, and is a skilled guy. What he's done the last couple years (barring Yordan who was a big fight in country so it made sense) stinks. It always stinks when a guy settles instead of tries to do something big. Like I said, I get the uugh factor. He's just not challenging himself. I'd still favor him over anyone with a belt right now at 26 and he's had some solid wins over the years.

But...

This conversation is nuts. John ain't coming out of Indonesia for short money and Donaire don't draw to pay him. He's happy being King of Indonesia.

Leave him there.

Comment

• Originally posted by SoggyLungs
              nishioka was more deserving of a fight than rigo....
              I'm not talking about deserving, boxing have nothing to do with deserving, if not Canelo will not be a Chapion, Broner and a few others, and Molina and Lara would had fought for the title and Campillo will be Champ, my beef with Nonitos is the excuses, every time he is ask he comes out with a different one, just say I won't fight him and that's it...

Comment

Trust, the cult will find a way to talk themselves into believing that Chris John is legit. He'd become a monster overnight because Donaire would be fighting him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                  Worn down Marquez + Gonzalez >>>> anybody Donaire, Mares or Rigo beat at 122 and that's why Nishi was #1. That's how it works, rankings are based on resumes not who would beat who. You can say that Nishi was a weak #1 but you can't deny that he was #1.

No I don't think Nishi is better than Rigo but I don't think Cotto is better than Canelo either, I guess I should rank Cotto below him? I should also rank Broner above Demarco since I think he's gonna win. No need to fight the fights anymore, let's do rankings based on who you think is better.
                  Because more important than when is whom, right?

Comment

• Man what are you talking about??

What kind of ducking is that when he just proved himself by knocking out the best super bantamweight who didn't lose for many years.
                    Rigondeaux is very talented and skilled and i would love to see that fight as well, but he just isn't a big name. Rigo should fight a world class fighter and win over some fans, before talking about Donaire.

Comment

I think the only answer is keep winning pretty easy. I agree with much of what you said, but I don't think that makes him not a top fighter. He can still go, if slowing, and is a skilled guy. What he's done the last couple years (barring Yordan who was a big fight in country so it made sense) stinks. It always stinks when a guy settles instead of tries to do something big. Like I said, I get the uugh factor. He's just not challenging himself. I'd still favor him over anyone with a belt right now at 26 and he's had some solid wins over the years.

But...

This conversation is nuts. John ain't coming out of Indonesia for short money and Donaire don't draw to pay him. He's happy being King of Indonesia.

Leave him there.

how much money is he really making in indonesia? i'd be interested to know how the finances of boxing work over there. is he getting big TV money? live gates? sponsorships, etc? is it really so much that they don't need american interest? and more appropriately, is it really so great that they make more over there?

he solicited the services and paychecks of american TV twice before (juarez fights, maybe i'm forgetting others as well.)

i'd guess that his people play it safe over there intentionally. i dont think for a second that an undefeated fighter with almost 50 fights is scared of anybody. john would fight over here. he already has. instead i think his people protect him over there, chugging away at decent money for almost zero risk, much the way felix sturm's career went.

if you've got a product that is the real deal you put him in the deep end and see if he can swim. you also entertain the offers that might come from america.

Comment

Working...
                      X