Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surprise, surprise, Donaire continues to duck Rigo. .

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    Hes proven himself in over 400 fights. How many has Donaire had?
    Using amateur fights in a pro boxing discussion.

Comment

Hes proven himself in over 400 fights. How many has Donaire had?
      This whole debate is head scratching. Saying Rigo could use some more marquee wins to season up as a pro (giving us the best possible fight down the road) and create broader pressure? That's me.

People arguing that Rigo's resume to date somehow erases the obvious talent he has is just a little too silly fanboy.

I think people are being too harsh on Nishi, though his non-performance earned it. Nishioka earned his spot as the top hand at 22, even if it ebbed with the layoff, and was the best option in the now for Donaire. He might not have been elite in the ring Saturday, but he earned the right to prove whether he was or not before his division moved on without him.

Now that it's done, the winner of Moreno-Mares would be the right next option. The winner of that combines talent and seasoning in absolute prime. We'll get Arce more than likely, and that stinks. I want to see Rigo get a little more pro seasoning before I bite on he and Donaire. I started very high on Rigo but I'm cooled off and in a little wait and see mode. I want to see him with a guy like Vic or Agbeko, someone who's been in with the peak guys at 18 or 22 and can give us a serious gauge on where Rigo is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rolph Spicer View Post
        Not in the pros, you know, where it matters.

Yeah, against such spectacular journeymen such as Arturo Carmago, or Anthony Nupunyi.

He lost to a guy that was 14-5 and who was nothing special. Marroquin lost to what they call a 'bum'.

Lol I can't believe you're trying to hype Marroquin as some world beater with monster KO power. Anything to make rigondeaux's weak resume look better eh? These rigo fanboys man...

How many of those fights didn't involve headgear and pillow gloves? How many of those fights were against elite fighters in the professional ranks?
        Have you ever gotten hit with this headgear and pillow gloves? Doesn't feel as good as you would think...

That must make Rigo a beast then! He was stopping and dropping fools left and right in the amateurs!

We are talking about a guy that has beat Abner Mares, and Yuriorkis Gamboa multiple times in the amateurs.

He grew up sparring with Gamboa and Mario Kindelan... seriously. If you even had a remote understanding of what kind of talent the Cubans grow up facing every day in the gym you would be astonished.

In Cuba, even to this day Rigondeaux is known as the best there ever was.

Comment

• Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          This whole debate is head scratching. Saying Rigo could use some more marquee wins to season up as a pro (giving us the best possible fight down the road) and create broader pressure? That's me.

People arguing that Rigo's resume to date somehow erases the obvious talent he has is just a little too silly fanboy.

I think people are being too harsh on Nishi, though his non-performance earned it. Nishioka earned his spot as the top hand at 22, even if it ebbed with the layoff, and was the best option in the now for Donaire. He might not have been elite in the ring Saturday, but he earned the right to prove whether he was or not before his division moved on without him.

Now that it's done, the winner of Moreno-Mares would be the right next option. The winner of that combines talent and seasoning in absolute prime. We'll get Arce more than likely, and that stinks. I want to see Rigo get a little more pro seasoning before I bite on he and Donaire. I started very high on Rigo but I'm cooled off and in a little wait and see mode. I want to see him with a guy like Vic or Agbeko, someone who's been in with the peak guys at 18 or 22 and can give us a serious gauge on where Rigo is.
          At 32 he has done all the seasoning he is going to do. No amount of fights now will change his style, or his skill.

All they will do is let promoters squeeze more money from him, and give Donaire time to let him age.

Comment

• I want Rigondeaux to fight the best and IMO it will serve him well if he fight more often against better opposition, the problem is that the good ones don't want any part of him, I think Nonito is making a mistake by not fighting him now, it will be harder for him to beat GR down the road, 5 or 6 more fights against fair competition and the odds will be in Rigondeaux favor for sure, but that's my opinion, what I don't understand from Donaire is the multiple excuses, just pick one and stick with it, but not, he sounds like a moron every time he give a different one.

Comment

At 32 he has done all the seasoning he is going to do. No amount of fights now will change his style, or his skill.

All they will do is let promoters squeeze more money from him, and give Donaire time to let him age.
              I disagree. A fight or two to raise his profile isn't going to age him greatly and it can answer some of the few questions that have arisen. He clammed up a little in the second half of the Cordoba fight; I thought he showed growth as a pro in how he handled the wee bit of quick adversity he had with Marroquin. No matter the amateur creds, there is a learning curve in going beyond three and four round fights. He's way ahead of the curve; sort of what Tszyu was once upon a time.

Even Tszyu needed a Phillips and a Hurtado to get him to the next level as a pro.

If Donaire just WON'T fight him, ever, that will speak for itself. But Rigo getting a higher profile win or two can only help his cause. In the meantime, I'm open: I want to see the Moreno-Mares winner more, expecially if it's Moreno. I think they've both done much more as pros. I think the winner there should be regarded as better as a pro right now than Rigo (and I'd regard them both that way now).

I think Moreno might be able to take Donaire or Rigo. It's not a bad top four for any class to have in terms of talent right now.
              Last edited by crold1; 10-14-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• I am not putting down Rigo's accomplishment in the amateurs but you can't compare it to the pros. Cotto was beaten in the amateurs but beat the same guy in the pros.

And how many rounds is it in an amateur fight? Yep, not 12.

Comment

• Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                  This thread was made today. And you're whining for like 4 pages now. Every thread about Donaire today, you've been whining.

Nice exaggeration there, by the way. You don't know anything about Nishioka, so you pretend that he's some random bum and when someone tells you otherwise, we're building him up like he's Ali.
                  Again that's incorrect, there were two threads from 10/5 that I bumped, you decided to respond in them even though you were smart enough not to post about how amazing nishi was in the first place.

There were around a dozen threads that were made about Donaire between Saturday and Sunday, I've posted in two. It just seems like more because you keep wanting to discuss how nishi is some sort of atg because Japan produces the best competition in boxing... in the same two threads. You mad because Arum controls you?
                  Last edited by deejd; 10-14-2012, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    I don't need to hype Nishioka, he was the #1 guy in the division. You're hyping a dude who's unproven. No matter how you slice it, Nishioka has a better resume than Rigo so if he's a fraud then what does that make Rigo? You can't win this argument, you're criticizing fighters whose resumes shit all over your guy's resume.

Why do you think he's chasing Donaire? For the glory?
                    Because résumés do the fighting. If you really believe he was the #1 guy in the division going into that fight last night, I can't take you seriously.

Oh yeah, Donaire is the cash cow, because even casual sports fans tune in to boxing.

Comment

• Please. Money talks.

Comment

Working...
                      X