No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – An Apologetic ‘No’ for Arturo Gatti

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – An Apologetic ‘No’ for Arturo Gatti

by David P. Greisman - This will not be a popular article. There will be many angered by what is written within, and understandably so.

This is not my intention. I am no attention-seeking contrarian. I am just a boxing writer who was a fan of Arturo Gatti before I ever confronted my first deadline, and I remained enamored with the man who truly earned and epitomized his nicknames.

He was “Thunder” with both hands. He was a man for whom the description of “blood and guts warrior” was always appropriate and never hyperbolic. He was a beloved hero who often sacrificed style in favor of substance, cast off defense in favor of offense, and became the “Human Highlight Reel” as a result.

I am a writer who could never truly stay objective when it came to Gatti.

I am a writer who will not be voting for him to enter the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

This is the decision being debated over the next few weeks by members of the Boxing Writers Association of America and other voters, all of whom received their ballots in the mail last week. Those voting can select up to 10 names from the “modern” category. The fighters with the top three vote totals will be inducted into Canastota in 2013; the winners will likely be announced by the end of this year.

The most recent class of modern inductees included Thomas Hearns, Mark “Too Sharp” Johnson and, posthumously, Cocoa Kid. The three new names added to the ballot this year were Gatti, former light heavyweight champion and cruiserweight titleholder Virgil Hill, and former light heavyweight titleholder Henry Maske. [Click Here To Read More]

I loved Gatti, but I'd say no too.

Comment

It will be a travesty if he doesn't make it in. Its called the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Resume. Gatti brought in the fans and has inspired a generation of young fighters and fans alike. To be a master of the sweet science, to hit and not get hit, is an admirable thing but let's not forget that the sport as a whole is kept afloat by exciting fighters that bring in the casual fans. We need More fighters like Gatti and they need to be shown a little more respect..

The fans b1tch and moan when a boxer gives 50% in the ring because they are fighting with hurt pinky toe or when a fighter quits because of a cut.........the next time you see this happen and you feel like b1tching, remember Gatti and maybe you will appreciate him a little more.
      Last edited by Rapid Counter; 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Somebody please tell me, what is the criteria to being a HOF'er???

Comment

It's the Hall of Fame not Hall of Achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
            It will be a travesty if he doesn't make it in. Its called the Hall of Fame not the Hall of Resume. Gatti brought in the fans and has inspired a generation of young fighters and fans alike. To be a master of the sweet science, to hit and not get hit, is an admirable thing but let's not forget that the sport as a whole is kept afloat by exciting fighters that bring in the casual fans. We need More fighters like Gatti and they need to be shown a little more respect..

The fans b1tch and moan when a boxer gives 50% in the ring because they are fighting with hurt pinky toe or when a fighter quits because of a cut.........the next time you see this happen and you feel like b1tching, remember Gatti and maybe you will appreciate him a little more.
            50 years from now people will still be comparing fighters to Gatti. The man will be remembered for as long as the sport exists IMO. Just because some of us believe that he shouldn't be included in the HOF doesn't mean we don't love and respect him. Chuck Wepner isn't in the HOF, doesn't mean we don't love and respect the effort he gave against Ali. I have nothing against people saying that Gatti should be in the HOF, I just don't think he accomplished enough to be in it.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
              It's the Hall of Fame not Hall of Achievement.
              Our mission is to honor and preserve boxing's rich heritage, chronicle the achievements of those who excelled and provide an educational experience for our many visitors.

That is directly from the IBHOF website.

Comment

It's called "International" HOF but honestly I don't think anyone outside North America cares or knows much about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post

Well stated! Couldn't agree more or have stated that any better!

Rest Easy Italian Thunder!!

Comment

I'd vote no as well. If the HOF was based on giving fans the most exciting fights then yes Gatti would be in it along with Maidana and Emanuel Agustus. But, Gatti was a mediocre fighter and FAR from an all time great. I love Gatti but he doesnt deserve to be in the same class as Robinson, Ali, Leanard, Hagler, Duran. Gatti fought from 130-147. Place him in the ring with any fighter in the HOF that fought in those weight classes and they'd defeat Gatti with EASE.

Comment

Working...
                    X