Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: International Boxing Hall of Fame: The Gatti Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatti IMO deserves to be in the wing where stallone and some of the wirters are. The sport is better for having him in it. But I can't put him in for his career. Losing spectacularly, violently, even crowd pleasingly (i know it isn't a word) is still losing.

In Gatti's case he loses to the elite every time, which means he isn't elite and doesn't belong with elite fighters. But what he gave us with Robinson, Ward, etc should and must be recognized for eternity.

Comment

Gatti should get in easily. He contributed a lot to the sport and connected with a lot of fans.

Comment

there should be a gatti statue in all of the the states in usa

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Hall of Fame isn't a big thing in UK (or European?) sport. We have one for English football but no one really cares about it. It's hard to understand why so many on NSB have an objection to certain people being inducted into the boxing HOF.

Do these discussions occur over US football and Basketball? what's the requirements for induction into those?
          Generally for hockey, baseball and basketball it's pretty much reserved for the best of the best.

I would imagine it's the same for football, I don't follow it though.

Comment

I love Gatti.

He's the reason I began to watch the sport.. I remember me and my pops used to watch him on HBO after dark growing up

The fights he gave us were just incredible.. Of course he deserves a slot..

When he was killed, I sheaded more than a few years knowing that my boxing heros life was taken..

RIP Arturo Thunder Gatti

Comment

I vote no, but I'm of the belief that boxing needs to have Major League Baseball caliber HOF standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
                Generally for hockey, baseball and basketball it's pretty much reserved for the best of the best.

I would imagine it's the same for football, I don't follow it though.
                The standards for admission to the hockey, football and basketball HOF are notably lower than for baseball.

Comment

My vote is no because looking at the body of his career, while he did alot, he fell short against not just great fighters like Oscar and Floyd, but lesser fighters, all while in his prime years.

However I do believe there should be a section for notable contributions like memorable fights or something. There is a wing for contributions to boxing, and another wing where we can recognize memorable fights, so people like Ward and Gatti can live on famously for the wars they put in. So while they [he] isn't a hall of fame fighter in his own right, he was involved in a hall of fame fight, which should be recognized. I think something like that can be unique for boxing and help separate it from other HoF standards.

Comment

a great warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      The standards for admission to the hockey, football and basketball HOF are notably lower than for baseball.
                      Yes baseball is the Standerd for what a hof should be

There are actually talks that Jim thome may not make the hof on the first ballet, and the man has like 630 HRs I think

Comment

Working...
                      X