Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can anyone defend Hopkins in the “who ducked who” wars for Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pturtle View Post
    That was the best version or Roy? The one with a damaged hand? The one who wasn’t even a champion yet? No experience? HBO would have bought the one in 01-02 as well. B-Hop was the best light heavy at the time wasn’t he? he had many options. .
    see u don't even know what you're talking hopkins was a middleweight not a light heavy. hopkins wasn't a light heavy until he fought tarver at the age of 41.

Comment

But you just said a bunch of irrelevant things i didn’t need to to hear. B-Hops success has nothing to do with this. You are basically saying B-Hop was smart not to fight Roy and that time because he did well not fighting Roy, thats cool, but if he cleaned out middleweight move up and fight Roy if not, keep fighting at middle who cares, but why call out RJ and not fight him? This topic is about Bernard did Bernard duck Roy, and i think its obvious he did AT THAT TIME. Money they made and who they fought after that is irrelevant.
      look man, how many times fighter a calls out fighter b, they sit down and don't come to terms, and the fight doesn't get made...happens all the time...bernard's whole thing was getting a 50/50 fight everbody knows that much....if ya can't see that it was about business, and not about who was scared of who more, then i can't help ya, cause i gave a solid enough reason why bernard hopkins couldn't make a fight, and get equal parity with roy jones jr., after winning the middleweight tournament in '93, the main topic of your thread, and i ain't even bernard hopkins biggest fan...furthermore, imo, bernard hopkins, who by 2001, added more flavor to his philly style of boxing, would certainly have gave roy jones jr., far more to think about in a 2002 fight, and that with a on top of his game roy jones jr.

Comment

Hopkins if anything was the one who killed the potential fight, as he was never a draw of any kind ever, already lost to Roy, and Roy was p4p king I think back in 01 or 02 when this was supposed to take place and was one of the most notable fighters in the world at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
          see u don't even know what you're talking hopkins was a middleweight not a light heavy. hopkins wasn't a light heavy until he fought tarver at the age of 41.
          I meant middleweight calm down. I mean if you see this whole argument i have been saying Hopkins at middleweight

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
            Hopkins if anything was the one who killed the potential fight, as he was never a draw of any kind ever, already lost to Roy, and Roy was p4p king I think back in 01 or 02 when this was supposed to take place and was one of the most notable fighters in the world at the time.
            now this may be true, but to insinuate that bernard hopkins, ducked roy jones jr., or called him out, but was scared of him, thats a different thing...at the same time, even though bernard hopkins lost to roy jones jr., in 93, it wasn't like roy jones jr., knocked out bernard hopkins, or even hurt him at any time in the fight...bernard hopkins, in 93, took roy jones jr.'s, best shots and kept coming, why would he be scared of him...lol

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
              look man, how many times fighter a calls out fighter b, they sit down and don't come to terms, and the fight doesn't get made...happens all the time...bernard's whole thing was getting a 50/50 fight everbody knows that much....if ya can't see that it was about business, and not about who was scared of who more, then i can't help ya, cause i gave a solid enough reason why bernard hopkins couldn't make a fight, and get equal parity with roy jones jr., after winning the middleweight tournament in '93, the main topic of your thread, and i ain't even bernard hopkins biggest fan...furthermore, imo, bernard hopkins, who by 2001, added more flavor to his philly style of boxing, would certainly have gave roy jones jr., far more to think about in a 2002 fight, and that with a on top of his game roy jones jr.
              Many times but in this case it was clear to see who was wrong, even if you don’t want to say B-Hop was ducking Roy you have to admit he was in the wrong for the fight not happening. 60/40 for him was more then fair and thats fine you believe that but the majority of the world would pick Roy to win at that time but either way because Hopkins got better is the reason people wanted to see the fight.
              Its like Leonard who I love as a fighter certainly took his time and waited for Hagler to slow a little before fighting him.
              ButLeonard didn’t wait for Hagler to be shot to pieces to fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
                now this may be true, but to insinuate that bernard hopkins, ducked roy jones jr., or called him out, but was scared of him, thats a different thing...at the same time, even though bernard hopkins lost to roy jones jr., in 93, it wasn't like roy jones jr., knocked out bernard hopkins, or even hurt him at any time in the fight...bernard hopkins, in 93, took roy jones jr.'s, best shots and kept coming, why would he be scared of him...lol
                Not to say he was scared either maybe he just thought to highly of himself with his MW king status and asked for more than he deserved for a potential fight against Roy at the time, no it was Hopkins who should have had to bend a bit if he wanted the rematch back then.

Comment

That was the best version or Roy? The one with a damaged hand? The one who wasn’t even a champion yet? No experience? HBO would have bought the one in 01-02 as well. B-Hop was the best light heavy at the time wasn’t he? he had many options.

Hopkins felt like he deserved 50/50 with a prime RJ, then he felt a past prime RJ also deserved 50/50? Thats insane and the fact that he made the fight agains t the shot Roy when he shouldn’t have, saids something.
                  physically absolutely.hbo might have bought that fight,but in hops mind he deserved 50/50.whats in these guys heads and reality are often 2 different things.its why we didnt get a de la hoya/mosely rematch till 5 years later.mosely won and begin to think he was a big draw and could dictate more money from oscar

Comment

Tough to take the short end of 60-40 when you've outperformed the person that is demanding the 60 (regardless of A side-B side). The numbers contradict what public perception is, favoring a closer split than 60-40.

Should there be an incentive to moving up 2 weight classes? Or should B-Hop have moved up 2 weight classes and accepted all the terms Roy offered just because he's #1 P4P Roy Jones?

Someone should've told Sergio Martinez that his P4P ranking earned him a better split against Chavez Jr. because he got hosed if he only got 30% of the purse.

Comment

Many times but in this case it was clear to see who was wrong, even if you don’t want to say B-Hop was ducking Roy you have to admit he was in the wrong for the fight not happening. 60/40 for him was more then fair and thats fine you believe that but the majority of the world would pick Roy to win at that time but either way because Hopkins got better is the reason people wanted to see the fight.
                      Its like Leonard who I love as a fighter certainly took his time and waited for Hagler to slow a little before fighting him.
                      ButLeonard didn’t wait for Hagler to be shot to pieces to fight him.
                      uhh,hopkins 7 years older than roy and moved up in weight lol.it was the same thing as roy fighting tito 20 years after the fact.its the business.fights happen that shouldnt happen

Comment

Working...
                      X