Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Julio Cesar Chavez, Sr. at 140 Lbs. Who Wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
    A very entertaining fight, indeed.

I can imagine a more competitive Meldrick Taylor vs. Chavez Sr. version happening.

I might side with Pacquiao by a close decision (115-111), with Chavez getting floored once from a left hook/straight.

Chavez's style (primary aggression) plays into Pacquiao's hands, but since Chavez was arguably THE best at that style in the lower weightclasses, AND is very skilled overall, he will NOT be laid out flat like Hatton.

Now, imagine Duran vs. Pacquiao @ 135/140/147?

What do you mean by that, Taylor vs Chavez was competitive.

Comment

I give Pacquiao the edge. The Pacquiao that fought Diaz and Hatton was a monster with great speed, power, and more defensive skills than many give him credit for.He threw an average of 100 punches a round, and very good punches at that. Taylor's speed troubled Chavez and Pacquiao was just as fast with much more power. Chavez had a good work rate and a great attack to both head and body with combinations. He also had a better defense than many give him credit for. I think it would be a great fight between two all time greats with Pacquiao's speed and volume of punches winning him a decision. Even a prime Pacquiao would probably not ko Chavez or even knock him down. The 29 year old Chavez had an incredible chin.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        What do you mean by that, Taylor vs Chavez was competitive.
        Yes, Taylor vs. Chavez was slightly competitive, but it was pretty clear who was ahead before the stoppage. Chavez was behind in most peoples' eyes.

2 official judges' cards read 107-102 and 108-101 in favor of Taylor, too.

While Chavez was definitely doing damage to Taylor throughout the fight, he was being outlanded in like a 3-1 ratio by Taylor.

Who knows, maybe Pac vs. Chavez would have played out almost exactly like Taylor/Chavez 1, but without the dramatic comeback in round 12.

Comment

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
          A very entertaining fight, indeed.

I can imagine a more competitive Meldrick Taylor vs. Chavez Sr. version happening.

I might side with Pacquiao by a close decision (115-111), with Chavez getting floored once from a left hook/straight.

Chavez's style (primary aggression) plays into Pacquiao's hands, but since Chavez was arguably THE best at that style in the lower weightclasses, AND is very skilled overall, he will NOT be laid out flat like Hatton.

Now, imagine Duran vs. Pacquiao @ 135/140/147?

now this would have been another shoe in for fight of the decade. duran is regarded as the best lightweight in modern history. this fight will be epic, duran will definitely throw cannonballs at pacquiao all not long. but just maybe, pacquiao's speed and head movement combined with some fancy footwork would be enough to catch duran with that winning left hand shot and knock 'em out in 7.

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
            Chavez by KO.

to be fair, this actually has a chance of happening. out of pacquiao's 4 defeats (including the bradley robbery), his 2 KO losses were caused by wicked body shots. this happened early in his career well before he captured any major titles after which pacquiao used as a springboard to train another level.

Comment

This is a tough one. Both have atg power, exceptional chins and great recuperative powers. What really separates the two is Pac's speed and footwork. Sr, one of my all time favs, was a statue on two legs. He didn't move well and against faster fighters with better hand speed, he always struggles. Sr would be down on point going into the championship rounds and I'm pretty sure he would be looking for KO, playing ever more into Pac's hands.

Chavez will always be rated higher but I think Pacquiao takes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince_Pugilist View Post
                This is a tough one. Both have atg power, exceptional chins and great recuperative powers. What really separates the two is Pac's speed and footwork. Sr, one of my all time favs, was a statue on two legs. He didn't move well and against faster fighters with better hand speed, he always struggles. Sr would be down on point going into the championship rounds and I'm pretty sure he would be looking for KO, playing ever more into Pac's hands.

Chavez will always be rated higher but I think Pacquiao takes this.

actually chavez, sr. has superb upper body movement. he ducks and sways back very effectively and combined with aggressive pressure, it's a tried and tested formula. kinda reminds me of jack dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
                  actually chavez, sr. has superb upper body movement. he ducks and sways back very effectively and combined with aggressive pressure, it's a tried and tested formula. kinda reminds me of jack dempsey.
                  I agree. But Chavez found it difficult to avoid fast combinations. But Pac isnt the most accurate of punchers much of the time.

Close fight. I favour Pac because of his movement, speed and volume punches. But if Chavez can get on the inside and work the body, Pac could be stopped.

A total blazing war.

Comment

Chavez by KO mid to late rounds. Pac takes too many chances he takes those against JC and his night gets cut short.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                      Chavez by KO mid to late rounds. Pac takes too many chances he takes those against JC and his night gets cut short.
                      you have a valid point. chavez, sr. can definitely deliver crushing body blows and end the fight which seems to be the only hole in pacquiao's armor. however, another thing to consider is the speed of pacquiao which might pose a problem to chavez, sr. both men are extremely durable but i'd have to say pacquiao's speed and fancy footwork gives him a slightly better chance of winning.
                      Last edited by Fighting_Pride; 09-29-2012, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X