Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did Floyd want Cotto's WBA belt at 154,but not Shane's WBA belt at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
    Lord knows.

My guess is that Mayweather wanted to act like he's so great that he doesn't need to fight for a belt.

After all, he was going through his "Belts collect dust" stage.

But that's just a guess. He should have just fought for it.
    This is really the best answer in my opinion.

If you remember at the time, Pacquiao was getting a world of attention for winning so many "belts" in different weight classes and what not.

Floyd, in an attempt to crap on that "accomplishment", tried to downplay belts in general. It seemed pretty odd due to Floyd always showcasing his belts before fights. Once the media's buzz about Manny's belts died down, all was back to normal and Floyd was once against trying to get them shiny thangs.

I actually really liked that stance he was taking against belts, but was disappointed to discover it was merely a ploy to take a shot at Pacquiao.
    Last edited by _original_; 09-27-2012, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Its odd, wish he would have done the same in his next two fights. Would like to see more fighters do the same.
      Screw the sanctioning bodies, their belts mean nothing anymore, corrupt ass organizations.

Comment

didn't want Cotto belt just a way to sell the fight and make it seem like Cotto did **** at 154.

that belt gave the Cotto fight credibility where Mosley already had it by beating Margarito

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          didn't want Cotto belt just a way to sell the fight and make it seem like Cotto did **** at 154.

that belt gave the Cotto fight credibility where Mosley already had it by beating Margarito
          who bought that fight cuz it was a "title fight?"

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Hitter View Post
            who bought that fight cuz it was a "title fight?"
            I would say most people the fight was promoted as RING KINGS even though Cotto was as legit of a champion as Chavez Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
              I would say most people the fight was promoted as RING KINGS even though Cotto was as legit of a champion as Chavez Jr
              I wouldn't have bought that fight just because of Cotto's belt, any fan new going in it'd be an interesting bout due to the styles.

Comment

He definitely wasn't interested in paying the sanctioning fees for Mosley's WBA 147.
                I know for a while all he was interested in was the Green belt, especially during his run at 147.
                My guess (and a total guess at that) is that he would have preferred the WBC 154 (again) but GBP wasn't going to sacrifice Canelo that early. Plus, having the WBA 154 would setup a unification fight with Canelo's WBC 154 down the line.
                Last edited by josenoway; 09-28-2012, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                  That one guy in the background of course.

Comment

Working...
                  X