Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime 147 Felix Trinidad vs 147 Floyd Mayweather Jr. Who takes it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinidad was one of the hardest punchers ever at 147, but he was dropped a few times as well. Floyd isn't a big puncher at 147, but I think he has enough pop that he would have kept Trinidad honest.

Whole fight could turn on a dime with Trinidad's power, though.

Mayweather in a competitive U.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      All were bigger than Floyd, 2 were bigger than Tito.

Floyd gets Sweet Pea'd. Losses a ud & gets kd'd along the way.
      I agree. Trinidad was world champ at 20 years old and when he fought Hopkins at 30 he had won 20 tittle fights and was alittle burned out. Not all fighters last as long as Hopkins. His fight with Wright was his worst performance at a weight that was wrong for him as he stopped growing at 154. The prime Trinidad that fought Whitaker was a good boxer and a great puncher with one of the best left hooks in boxing and a great right as well. He was weight drained somewhat for Oscar and still won the fight and he easily beat Camacho, a very fast boxer. Wright and Hopkins were much bigger than Floyd, had different styles and iron jaws. Floyd takes a punch pretty good but he could not handle the two handed speed and power of a prime Trinidad in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyp4p View Post
        yes all three are bigger and were able to take his shots but none of them are the boxer that mayweather is. Floyd is old now and doesn't have legs that he used to have, but I could see a 2006 - 2007 Mayweather outboxing Tito, his jab, defense, speed, ring IQ and countering are all better than winkys, oscars and hopkins...albeit it won't be easy
        Well I disagree, considering a faded Oscar gave Floyd all he could handle.

Winky was a genius in his style, beats Floyd hth.

B-Hop is also every bit as good as Floyd is. And all 3 have fought infinitely better fighters than Floyd has.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyp4p View Post
          Tito was outboxed by Winky, Hopkins, and Oscar...the blueprint was put on display 3 times. Tito can't hang with elite technical fighters and he's going up against the best one of our era? Floyd by UD

One of Tito's strengths lay in his superior size and power at 147 compare to everyone else. As he moved up and he fought bigger boxers he lost a lot of power and agility that he had at 147. Hopkins was a god damn LHW in a MW'S body.

Sure that version of Hopkins beat up Tito, but anybody with out an agenda will tell you that version of Hopkins would probably 8-4 9-3 Floyd as well.

Hopkins was just too big for any WW outside of Hearns or Leonard.

Another thing, stop using Oscar as a comparison. Floyd is the best fighter of this era,but he did NOT fight a prime Oscar. A Prime Oscar was basically a super charged version of the one he DID fight.

Comment

Mayweather wouldve carved him up like Thanksgiving dinner. He was Tailor made for Floyds style.

Comment

I think if they were in the same era it would be bigger fight then a Pac/Floyd fight.Way bigger fight,way bigger threat than Pacquiao.I can visualize Tito getting outboxed but at the same time see Floyd getting caught and rocked hard in an unsuspected round.I also think Tito mushroom stumps Pacquiao, of course @ a CW of 141 in tito's golden days at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
                Mayweather wouldve carved him up like Thanksgiving dinner. He was Tailor made for Floyds style.
                A lot of you are thinking of the brilliant Floyd from the lightweight days. There is a noticeable difference between that prime Floyd and the Floyd of the higher weights.

I know styles make fights, but I honestly think a 154 Tito would have knocked out the Cotto that fought Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by chloelloyd View Post
                  This match up always interested me. Want to hear opinions on who you guys think will win this.

I understand that 147 is not Floyd's prime weight, but it's the lowest possible weight that he could have fought a prime Trinidad in. So it is what it is.

Floyd is definitely the better boxer even at 147, he was more skilled (although Tito was quite skilled as well) and had better defense.

Floyd really does not have that one punch KO power at 147+ to knock out Trinidad. Trinidad's knock downs were also mainly off balance KD'S and he recovered from every one (bar Hopkins).

Sweet Pea was a southpaw and awkward to hit for Trinidad. There is always issues with the footing, Floyd is orthodox and if he came in he would get tagged a bit more flush than was Tito was doing on Pea. if Floyd opened up with Tito he'd get caught and Trinidad was a surreal finisher.

Trinidad was a massive WW at 5'11+ that lost agility and speed as he moved up.
                  Hopkins-Wright-Jones were all bigger fighters. At 147 he had his full speed and agility, along with his power and size advantage over most other 147 fighters, definitely over a 5'8 FLoyd.

He had a huge right hand and he could fire back and forth with left hooks and straight rights very quickly.

What Winky did to a past prime Trinidad was something that Floyd could do as well to a prime Tito at 147. Obviously Winky was the naturally bigger man and stood at 5'11+ as well.

If Floyd does win this, I see him fighting a ultra cautious fight and winning a close UD.
                  You pointed out something that most people here ignore-that Trinidad was a good boxer. I've seen him described as a VERY good boxer-when he wants to be. Mayweather's "shoulder-roll" wouldn't be any good to him here becuase, as you've pointed out, trinidad had a very good right hand. And his left hook was one of the all-time good left-hooks.

mayweather might fight cautiously and evasively for about 6-8 rounds, but I don't think he could get away from a top shape Trinidad. Although Mayweather has a very good chin, the fight would be stopped.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Tito thrived on combat and Mayweather would play to defuse him, when faced with guys who didn't really engage in combat Tito had real issues. It is part of the reason Tito always came back from knockdowns, guys got gutsy after the knockdown thinking he could be had but it played right into Tito's very capable hands.

Floyd would not get caught up and would be very careful with Tito, this would force Tito to press the issue which would make the fight even easier for Floyd.

It is a very bad match-up for Tito stylistically speaking~ he is a great fighter and has some physical advantages so of course he has some shot but I have a hard time seeing him winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                      Well I disagree, considering a faded Oscar gave Floyd all he could handle.

Winky was a genius in his style, beats Floyd hth.

B-Hop is also every bit as good as Floyd is. And all 3 have fought infinitely better fighters than Floyd has.
                      No he didnt. Floyd put ona boxing clinic. DLH won 3 rounds at best. Cotto was more competitive and he only won 2 rounds

Comment

Working...
                      X