Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hopkins MW resume vs Sturms MW resume. Whos is really better & who would win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ElChicano View Post
    Take away the WWs from Hopkins......Sturm.
    What welterweights?

Comment

A Prime hopkins which is around 32-36 yrs old would KO/TKO Hopkins

a 37-42 year old Hopkins UD easily

a 43-present Hopkins still wins a decision but it would probably be a little closer but probably around 8 rounds to 4.

But lets see a 33 yr old Sturm vs a 33 yr old Hopkins lol did you even watch Hopkins when he was younger? Hopkins used to throw around 45-50 legit punches per round and still be a master in the ring. had CRAZY stamina and at that time His only loss was to ROY JONES. (well he lost his 1st pro fight but that was the straight out of prison fight) after that roy jones fight he DESTROYED everybody for 10 plus years. im talking about none of the fights were even close. the only close fight was mercado and he was dropped twice but STILL got a draw in Mercado's hometown in south AMERICA. now tell me who really won that fight. and oh yea the rematch he BEAT THE BREAKS off of him. Sturm agaisn't a LEGEND Hopkins would be a one sided beat down. at 33 Sturm is getting Gifted decisions and Ko'd. At 33 Hopkins TKO a undefeated Glen Johnson

so dont ever disrespect a legend again.

Comment

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
        A Prime hopkins which is around 32-36 yrs old would KO/TKO Hopkins

a 37-42 year old Hopkins UD easily

a 43-present Hopkins still wins a decision but it would probably be a little closer but probably around 8 rounds to 4.

But lets see a 33 yr old Sturm vs a 33 yr old Hopkins lol did you even watch Hopkins when he was younger? Hopkins used to throw around 45-50 legit punches per round and still be a master in the ring. had CRAZY stamina and at that time His only loss was to ROY JONES. (well he lost his 1st pro fight but that was the straight out of prison fight) after that roy jones fight he DESTROYED everybody for 10 plus years. im talking about none of the fights were even close. the only close fight was mercado and he was dropped twice but STILL got a draw in Mercado's hometown in south AMERICA. now tell me who really won that fight. and oh yea the rematch he BEAT THE BREAKS off of him. Sturm agaisn't a LEGEND Hopkins would be a one sided beat down. at 33 Sturm is getting Gifted decisions and Ko'd. At 33 Hopkins TKO a undefeated Glen Johnson

so dont ever disrespect a legend again.

Hi dde91, great response, this is just what I was looking for, now we're getting into a good debate

Hopkins was a great fighter in his early thirties, his destruction of Simon Brown is one of my favourite Hopkins performances, even though Brown was past his best, it was pretty much punch perfect. Being the only man to stop Glencoffe is impressive, also he has a good win over Holmes and Echols.

We all know that a fighter beating another doesn't make them greater, look at Douglas and Tyson, Klitschko and Sanders. I just feel that Sturm has the style and attributes to trouble Hopkins. I think Hopkins kryptonite is a fast 2 handed fighter at a fair weight, and Sturm fits the bill. His handspeed and movement would trouble Hopkins, on the inside though Hopkins will destroy him, but Sturm has a great jab.

I wasn't disrespecting a legend, I just wanted to spark up a different debate to 'Mayweather-Pacquiao, Klitschko-Lewis, Ward-Calzaghe'

Also, while we're talking about MW's, I'm picking Martinez to TKO Chavez late on, with the referee pulling Chavez out due to punishment taken

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
          Hi dde91, great response, this is just what I was looking for, now we're getting into a good debate

Hopkins was a great fighter in his early thirties, his destruction of Simon Brown is one of my favourite Hopkins performances, even though Brown was past his best, it was pretty much punch perfect. Being the only man to stop Glencoffe is impressive, also he has a good win over Holmes and Echols.

We all know that a fighter beating another doesn't make them greater, look at Douglas and Tyson, Klitschko and Sanders. I just feel that Sturm has the style and attributes to trouble Hopkins. I think Hopkins kryptonite is a fast 2 handed fighter at a fair weight, and Sturm fits the bill. His handspeed and movement would trouble Hopkins, on the inside though Hopkins will destroy him, but Sturm has a great jab.

I wasn't disrespecting a legend, I just wanted to spark up a different debate to 'Mayweather-Pacquiao, Klitschko-Lewis, Ward-Calzaghe'

Also, while we're talking about MW's, I'm picking Martinez to TKO Chavez late on, with the referee pulling Chavez out due to punishment taken
          Good post. That being said, it all depends on the level of preparation. I agree with you about the styles thing. I think Sanders would have always knocked out a young Wlad, 10 out of 10 times.

But some fights it depends on how prepared you are. A fully prepared Lennox Lewis would never have lost to Rahman, a fully prepared Tyson would most likely have beaten Douglas (still a very tough fight).
          I think a fully prepared Hopkins would have beaten Sturm(both at their best) regardless of the style issues.
          I re watched the Taylor fights.
          1- Taylor was and is underrated.
          He actually got very good power and a lethal jab. He is also the ONLY person to floor two granite chin fighters in Carl Froch and Kelly Pavlik (Yes he got ko'ed in both fights, but that was due to his lack of finishing abilities and **** stamina)

2- Both fights were razer thin. Hopkins dominated the later parts of both fights and the only reason I can think of in giving the decisions to Taylor is that HBO wanted a cash cow.(Which failed)

Look at all of Hopkin's defeats.

-Jones. Very young and green Hopkins
          Taylor-Controversial and debatable.
          Calzaghe- I actually give Calzaghe credit for this one, still a very close fight

Dawson-Hopkins was a old man.

Comment

Tuff to beat his experience. He knew the 3 min mark as well as any fighter. I doubt Sturm could deal with his crap! Ray
            Last edited by Ray Corso; 09-13-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Sturm would beat his ass back to the ghetto.

Comment

Originally posted by chloelloyd View Post
                Good post. That being said, it all depends on the level of preparation. I agree with you about the styles thing. I think Sanders would have always knocked out a young Wlad, 10 out of 10 times.

But some fights it depends on how prepared you are. A fully prepared Lennox Lewis would never have lost to Rahman, a fully prepared Tyson would most likely have beaten Douglas (still a very tough fight).
                I think a fully prepared Hopkins would have beaten Sturm(both at their best) regardless of the style issues.
                I re watched the Taylor fights.
                1- Taylor was and is underrated.
                He actually got very good power and a lethal jab. He is also the ONLY person to floor two granite chin fighters in Carl Froch and Kelly Pavlik (Yes he got ko'ed in both fights, but that was due to his lack of finishing abilities and **** stamina)

2- Both fights were razer thin. Hopkins dominated the later parts of both fights and the only reason I can think of in giving the decisions to Taylor is that HBO wanted a cash cow.(Which failed)

Look at all of Hopkin's defeats.

-Jones. Very young and green Hopkins
                Taylor-Controversial and debatable.
                Calzaghe- I actually give Calzaghe credit for this one, still a very close fight

Dawson-Hopkins was a old man.

Hi Chloelloyd, great post buddy!

I agree about Hopkins brilliant ring iq, the man is a boxing genius. If he imposes his will on Sturm, he will knock him out. But in boxing we never know. Lennox is a strange example, at his best he looked unbeatable, the Rahman loss was shocking, but shows you how unpredictable the game can be!

Onto the losses, no shame in losing to RJJ

But the Taylor and Calzaghe showed a weakness, while they were close fights, those guys gave Hopkins fits with their speed and punch volume, and they were physically strong as well

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post

i would say Hopkins vs Sturm would look like Hopkins vs Allen. Thats my opinion. Allen was a solid 2 handed fighter with a movement and good handspeed. and Hopkins outboxed him dominately.
                  Prime for Prime. Lets say a 26-28 year old Sturm vs a 32-34 yr old hopkins. Would be a Fight i would watch. But i take Hopkins by 11th round TKO. I just think hopkins controls the inside outside space with his movement. shoots his lead right all day and smother sturm so he couldn't throw his jab. Out muscles him and turns it up after the 7th round.

To me in the fight, after watching the 24/7's. im thinking martinez is going to put a BIG hurt to Chavez. Chavez just doesn't train like i think a prizefighter like him should while martinez works his ass off everyday. Gotta win a fight by training. but at the same time Chavez does have some advantages in weight, height, youth. and also could change the fight with a solid punch landing on martinez chin. so Its a fight i just really cant make a full prediction and i cant WAIT to see it

Comment

Originally posted by dde91 View Post
                    i would say Hopkins vs Sturm would look like Hopkins vs Allen. Thats my opinion. Allen was a solid 2 handed fighter with a movement and good handspeed. and Hopkins outboxed him dominately.
                    Prime for Prime. Lets say a 26-28 year old Sturm vs a 32-34 yr old hopkins. Would be a Fight i would watch. But i take Hopkins by 11th round TKO. I just think hopkins controls the inside outside space with his movement. shoots his lead right all day and smother sturm so he couldn't throw his jab. Out muscles him and turns it up after the 7th round.
                    This is a fair post, I think it would be an interesting fight and I too wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins spoiling tactics offset Sturm. In which case, if Hopkins has the upper hand throughout, I think he would stop Sturm

To me in the fight, after watching the 24/7's. im thinking martinez is going to put a BIG hurt to Chavez. Chavez just doesn't train like i think a prizefighter like him should while martinez works his ass off everyday. Gotta win a fight by training. but at the same time Chavez does have some advantages in weight, height, youth. and also could change the fight with a solid punch landing on martinez chin. so Its a fight i just really cant make a full prediction and i cant WAIT to see it

Chavez got found out badly, he looked out of his depth. His jab is average, his footwork is average, he telegraphs his big punches, the fight went exactly as I thought for 11 rounds. Then that big punch you mentioned landed! If that happened 2 or 3 rounds earlier I think Sergio would have struggled to survive, I can't believe Chavez can drain that much weight and stay strong in the 12th round?

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                      So Tito doesn't count because he was too small but Joppy, whom Tito destroyed in 5, counts?

I wonder how many other people were thinking exactly this.

Comment

Working...
                      X