Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Win-Win for Chavez Jr

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a win-win situation to a point, but if Junior REALLY wants to earn that respect, then he needs to win, and win in a big devastating way. If he loses a close, maybe controversial fight, then they'll do an immediate rematch and both fighters get another big payday...but that's really the only "win" for Chavez in a loss in this fight.

If he wins, he better either KO Martinez, or win a wide (non-controversial) decision. If he wins by close scores, or a split/majority decision, he gets no respect. His critics will continue to say that he continues to benefit from unfair judging and that his size advantage over other middleweights is the only thing that keeps him in fights. If loses by a landslide or is KO'd, his career would be all but over.

Come to think of it, even just a big win over Martinez wouldn't be enough to win over his haters. About the only real thing that Junior could do to really make his own legacy as a fighter and get SOMEWHAT out of his father's shadow, would be to follow up the win with a successful campaign at 168...but that's a whole other topic.

Comment

I agree 100% with contenders

Comment

There is absolutely no shame in losing to a top 5 fighter in the world for Chavez. Either way, he fights well next month.

IMO, ts is right. If he wins, his stock soars through the roof. If he loses (as long as it's competitive), his stock remains & the respect he gains will be good in the long run. After all Martinez has wins over Punisher & Pavlik.

It's not like Chavez was fighting a damn welterweight fringe contender or some $h!t.

Comment

sorry for this but martinez is no modern day great i know i might ruffle a few feathers here but ........ who has he fought williams twice,pavlik,barker,macklin and dzinziruk even a draw with cintron he is no modern day great

Comment

Working...
          X