Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some weaknesses of the Mayweather jr style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"There's no blueprint on how to beat me." - Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
      The Weakness are prime hungry southpaw, relentless pressure fighters with speed and awkward unpredictable angles who can take a punch and confuse him with explosive unorthodox footwork and keep coming with tons of stamina and no quit in them.
      For two rounds maybe.

Comment

Fans are making it EASY for Mayweather because they keep wanting to see him against Guys who have no fukin chance at beating him...Like Pacquiao and Canelo...lets be honest people PRIDE are talking, they want to see their OWN be the first to Defeat Mayweather and it is not going to happen because those fighters do not have the ring smarts to beat Mayweather, all they would be able to depend on is a LUCKY PUNCH that Knocks Him Out!

IMO it will take a highly SKILLED BOXER with Speed to defeat Mayweather, you can't be a One-Dimensional Brawler and expect to beat Mayweather, you can't have a Inconsistent Jab, you can't go crazy when he is leaning against the Ropes thinking you go him but yet he is Bouncing of the Ropes and catching you with Counters and you also have to be VERY UNPREDICTABLE with your attacks...you CANNOT do the same thing over and over against Mayweather and honest expect him not to make an adjustment and figure you out

Brad Solomon (Talk About A Work Rate...They Don't Call Him "BUSY BEE" For Nothing, but he can apply pressure WISELY!) to me has everything and more to defeat Mayweather...but a match like that would never happen because fans don't appreciate SKILLED BOXERS, they love these OVERRATED BRAWLERS who gets embarrassed as soon as they face a Skilled Boxer, then fans get upset and Blame the Skilled Boxer for Making the Match Boring because they are able to make their Favorite Fighter(s) look like BUMS
        Last edited by sicko; 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM.

Comment

The reason Floyd is so hard to figure out is the fact he uses loads of different style to block shots. He is most famous for his Philly shell use on the ropes and when the guy comes forward but he also uses the high guard when in the middle of the ring and almost catches punches when guys throw them at him. If you put these together with his amazing reflexes, speed, timing and footwork (a few years ago) you have a guy who will almost never get caught clean and when caught has a great chin to take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite View Post
            As in his elevated shoulder and rolling punches. I don't mean Floyd in particular just the style. It's called the philly shell no? I'm new to boxing so I apologize for my ignorance lol
            Look up Roy J. Jnr vs James Toney.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
              The Weakness are prime hungry southpaw, relentless pressure fighters with speed and awkward unpredictable angles who can take a punch and confuse him with explosive unorthodox footwork and keep coming with tons of stamina and no quit in them.
              Who are you talking about, Torrecampo? He did catch Pacquiaos using the style you just described.

What are Floyds weaknesses? Come on, you can do it.

Comment

I can't see too many. Even when using that shoulder roll, he seems to avoid being hit with left hooks(power punches). The jabs seem to conect often depending if you telegraph them or not. I think eventually, aging and losing reflexes will catch up, if he stays in the game long enough. We will have to see where he stands mentally after this significant event in his life too!(encarceration)

Comment

Every fighter has weaknesses. There's a difference between those that expose their own weaknesses and those that don't. Floyd is one that doesn't expose his weaknesses or knows how to cover them up well.

Some will say that he was exposed by Cotto's jab. I say Floyd looked a bit arrogant and opted to not move his head on time when he knows he should've.

A great defense and a great offense are hard to beat sometimes.

Comment

Pretty much what mindbat said. Floyd puts himself in position at times to he hit with a jab either due to arrogance or because he'd rather eat a jab than an overhand right like he did against mosley. Floyd uses what some think are his weaknesses as strengths. Pressure fighters? Get caught with check hooks or stopped with a straight once you take the initial step in.. Jab him? Good look out pointing Floyd with single punches... Body attack at close range on the ropes? Short uppers til you pull back and he leans with you with a lead right making it seem like he wins every engagement. Until we see someone beat him we wont know...right now the only one some people give credence to is Martinez at 154 or up just due to him being big with some of the qualities people THINK will work on Floyd.
                    Last edited by NearHypnos; 08-19-2012, 01:35 PM.

Comment

• None, he covers his bases pretty well. There are things that would have some success against him ( like a well timed jab) but I wouldn't exactly call it a weakness to his style as a good jab would frustrate anyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X