No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Abner Mares-Anselmo Moreno: A Beautiful Counterpunch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Abner Mares-Anselmo Moreno: A Beautiful Counterpunch

by Cliff Rold - Who can’t enjoy being part of a good cult following?

Not the bad kinds of course. Rancid Kool-Aid or white sneakers and astro-projection? Nothing sounds fun about any of that.

No, by cult following, what is meant is a good midnight showing of Rocky Horror…discovering Dark City for the first time…being able to compare Marvelman to Watchmen because you were lucky enough to read both…

…watching boxing in the United States when Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao aren’t fighting.

Boxing, like it or not, is largely a sport based on an avid cult following in the U.S. Inside that fairly large cult following, we find sub-sects all the time. They are born often these days on Facebook, Twitter, and boxing message boards.

Take, for instance, what can be called the “Cult of Rigo.” Like the cult of the “Tijuana Tornado” and “Punisher” before it, a notion develops of a man feared universally and avoided by all. Former Cuban amateur God Guillermo Rigondeaux is now a 122-lb. professional titlist. Only 10-0, with 8 stops, Rigondeaux looks as ready for prime time as any ten-fight veteran since Kostya Tszyu.

He’s clearly, already, a threat to anyone at Jr. Featherweight [Click Here To Read More]

Rigo fighting tomato cans all day, cab drivers by night. All day.

Comment

Nice article !!! Huge fan of "Chemito" I know win lose or draw this fight will only bring good things for him !

Comment

Thanks for reminding me to finish reading Marvel Man.
        Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 08-17-2012, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Any boxing fan who has a subscription to both HBO and Showtime, yet doesn't possess a DVR is a fool. Mares is a good young fighter but he doesn't beat Moreno

Comment

Originally posted by spoonwars View Post
            Rigo fighting tomato cans all day, cab drivers by night. All day.
            Say what you want, but in a couple years we'll be asking who can beat this man?

Comment

It's going to be a good night..... Staying off of here though until I see all the fights

Comment

It's definitely a great night of fights but it's bull**** that fans have to pick what to watch and what to dvr. Ever since GBP basically took over showtime they are intentionally going head to head against HBO's cards. This now marks Sep 8th, 15th and Oct 13th that we'll have to pick what to watch live. Boxing is not a big enough platform for the 2 major networks to go head to head on every major card. Guess I'll be on HBO because the Nishi-Donaire and Alvarado-Rios is a can't miss.

Comment

Originally posted by eddycolon21
                  Mares-Moreno will be way better than Nishioka-Donaire. There's actual competition there. But I have Moreno winning!
                  Hate to disagree with you bro but Nishi is the best @ 122 and the competition there with Nonito will be tremendous. Nishi hasn't lost since '04 and I can't get how he stopped Jhonny Gonzalez out of my head. It's going to take a better performance than Donaire's last 3 times out to beat Nishi which should make for a barn burner. Than throw in Alvarado-Rios and it's a slam dunk.

Comment

As a boxing fan, I am very happy with some of the big cards being made as of late. I'm still not 100% sold on Mares being that special elite fighter yet, but he has plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X