Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd's legacy stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goldie View Post
    youre actually making my point for me. If it was all about the undefeated record then the guys that you named would garner the same respect and acclaim that Mayweater receives, yet they don't. I don't want you to hurt yourself, but why don't you take some time and think about why that is?
    It's not about the undefeated record it's just about being popular. The popular guys are always overrated. was mosley really the number 3 p4p fighter in the world after beating margarito even though he looked terrible for years before that? all of a sudden mosley's back! no he's just a well known name that they overrate to appear better than he really is. If chris john and calzaghe were based in the usa and shown on american tv they would have been highly ranked p4p fighters just like floyd and you would have people saying "well they just beat who they put in front of them"

Comment

• Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
      Didn't you know there is a maximum of 8 ATGs? 7 if you think Robinson is GOAT MW
      I mean, it's just confusing. Why not just create a thread saying, "I hate Floyd Mayweather"?

Comment

youre actually making my point for me. If it was all about the undefeated record then the guys that you named would garner the same respect and acclaim that Mayweater receives, yet they don't. I don't want you to hurt yourself, but why don't you take some time and think about why that is?
        because floyd is a loud american.

if he wasnt he would be as great & as popular as joe calzaghe.

why dont you think abou that.

Comment

• Originally posted by daggum View Post
          It's not about the undefeated record it's just about being popular. The popular guys are always overrated. was mosley really the number 3 p4p fighter in the world after beating margarito even though he looked terrible for years before that? all of a sudden mosley's back! no he's just a well known name that they overrate to appear better than he really is. If chris john and calzaghe were based in the usa and shown on american tv they would have been highly ranked p4p fighters just like floyd and you would have people saying "well they just beat who they put in front of them"
          If Calzaghe and John were based in Anerica they would have totally different resumes and probably wouldn't be undefeated. If you think that Mayweather is overrated as a fighter, then make your case using his performances in the ring. Talk about his strengths and weaknesses as a fighter. Nitpicking at his resume and making weak excuses for the respect and acclaim he gets is just lazy.

Comment

If Calzaghe and John were based in Anerica they would have totally different resumes and probably wouldn't be undefeated. If you think that Mayweather is overrated as a fighter, then make your case using his performances in the ring. Talk about his strengths and weaknesses as a fighter. Nitpicking at his resume and making weak excuses for the respect and acclaim he gets is just lazy.
            If you don't look at resume then its all subjective. joe calzaghe is the best because he has an amazing workrate and an iron chin. or adrian broner is the best because he has amazing defense and ko power. but who did they fight? ummmmmm LOOK AT their SKILLS! that's all that matters!

respect is earned by beating the best, not by flashing your skills against B level fighters over and over. Somewhere along the way that got lost but oh well the money didn't get lost for floyd.
            Last edited by daggum; 08-04-2012, 04:26 PM.

Comment

You act like that fight was on PPV. Or that it somehow enhanced Mosley's popularity because Margarito is a PPV star or something. That's just a dumb, dumb premise. He rose to that ranking because of the one-sided nature of the bout and because Margarito was highly ranked PPV-wise.

Comment

• Originally posted by timboslice708 View Post
                He's not the best LW, and he's definitely not the best WW, so when people say he's the greatest, defensive wizard, most accurate puncher, etc. he's still not better than the best of all times.
                You are right in my opinion. He is a great fighter but not the best lightweight of all time as most believe he loses to Duran and maybe others. He did not spend much time at 135 or at 140. Most fans have him losing to 1 or more great welterweights. His best claim would be being the best 130 lb. fighter of all time.He KOed a good champion at age 21. He defended his 130 lb. tittle successfully 8 times winning 5 of those by KO. I think he is one of the best, if not the best 130 pounders in history. It is hard to think of any 130 pound fighter in history who would not be in real danger of losing to Floyd. At 130 he was a devastating blend of speed, power, and skill.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  You act like that fight was on PPV. Or that it somehow enhanced Mosley's popularity because Margarito is a PPV star or something. That's just a dumb, dumb premise. He rose to that ranking because of the one-sided nature of the bout and because Margarito was highly ranked PPV-wise.
                  Margarito was ranked #6. How did unranked mosley suddenly hop all the way to #3 based on 1 win and years of failure before that? That shows you just how much extra hype certain people get. Floyd beats gatti and becomes p4p #1. I don't remember alfonso gomez or baldomir hopping up into the p4p list after they beat gatti.

People were saying pac was ducking berto even though he had fought nobody. People think broner is the best fighter in the world based on what? it's called hype and it does exist.

Comment

Margarito was ranked #6. How did unranked mosley suddenly hop all the way to #3 based on 1 win and years of failure before that? That shows you just how much extra hype certain people get. Floyd beats gatti and becomes p4p #1. I don't remember alfonso gomez or baldomir hopping up into the p4p list after they beat gatti.

People were saying pac was ducking berto even though he had fought nobody. People think broner is the best fighter in the world based on what? it's called hype and it does exist.
                    So your argument is that Mosley should have been ranked #6 P4P instead of #3 but earned three extra spots due to popularity?

Comment

• Oh lookie another Floyd bashing thread. Once again, like I said before in another thread name 5 guys with a better resume than mayweather in the last 10-15 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X