Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympic Boxing Discussion Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just watched today's fights. Other than the usuals, I was very impressed with Robeisy Ramirez, 18 year old kid out of Cuba.

Comment

• Searching articles about Lomachenko and Russo signing with AIBA Professional Boxing, I stumble in to this yahoo article.

And looking at the comments in yahoo, 271 comments...The Poster Boy of the AIBA Pro Boxing now has a fanbase in the US too and is making waves at the US mainstream media haha

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...2863--oly.html

Also it seems the fights of the World Series of Boxing have been counting on the Pro Record... Javier Torres, a HW, began his Pro career with a 2-6 thanks to the WSB, interesting story because fightfax ("The record keeping standard for boxing" that Promotional Companies use) are putting those fights as pro fights so, many american fighters will already have losses like Gausha, going in to their supposedly Pro Debuts.

I suppose fightfax will still put the records of the new AIBA Pro Boxing at their page.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/sub-le...oxing-fighters
      Last edited by ksan; 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ksan View Post
        Searching articles about Lomachenko and Russo signing with AIBA Professional Boxing, I stumble in to this yahoo article.

And looking at the comments in yahoo, 271 comments...The Poster Boy of the AIBA Pro Boxing now has a fanbase in the US too and is making waves at the US mainstream media haha

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympi...2863--oly.html

Also it seems the fights of the World Series of Boxing have been counting on the Pro Record... Javier Torres, a HW, began his Pro career with a 2-6 thanks to the WSB, interesting story because fightfax ("The record keeping standard for boxing" that Promotional Companies use) are putting those fights as pro fights so, many american fighters will already have losses like Gausha, going in to their supposedly Pro Debuts.

I suppose fightfax will still put the records of the new AIBA Pro Boxing at their page.

http://www.maxboxing.com/news/sub-le...oxing-fighters
        damn that sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
          damn that sucks.
          Gausha Pro Record

5-2 (1 KO), one of his losses went at the hands of Ecuadorian Carlos Gongora who didnt do to well at the Olympics.

Carlos Gongora has a 2-0 record, having victories over Gausha and Yamaguchi Florentino (4-2) the older brazilian brother that got a bronce medal today.

At least Gausha has a win over the brasileiro Esquiva Florentino that is now at the Olympic final, Esquiva record is 2-1.

You can search the records here

http://www.worldseriesboxing.com/box...xers-list.aspx

Comment

• Originally posted by ksan View Post
            Gausha Pro Record

5-2 (1 KO), one of his losses went at the hands of Ecuadorian Carlos Gongora who didnt do to well at the Olympics.

Carlos Gongora has a 2-0 record, having victories over Gausha and Yamaguchi Florentino (4-2) the older brazilian brother that got a bronce medal today.

At least Gausha has a win over the brasileiro Esquiva Florentino that is now at the Olympic final, Esquiva record is 2-1.

You can search the records here

http://www.worldseriesboxing.com/box...xers-list.aspx
            hope not oscar valdez,Dont think he joined

Comment

• Interesting Article about the AIBA Professional Boxing League

This now explains why they are signing with them, many of the fighters that wait for a second try at the Olympics are not to fond of Pro Boxing, and this their way to try it.

http://aiba.org/en-US/news/ozqsp/newsId/4937/news.aspx

Italian superstars take APB to another level

Charismatic Lightweight (60kg) Domenico Valentino and Heavyweight (91kg) Clemente Russo have today signed five year contracts with AIBA Professional Boxing (APB), further underlining the popularity of the new programme amongst the world's top boxers.

Valentino said: "I was never convinced to turn pro until I was offered this opportunity by APB. I feel safer staying under the same governance and within my National Federation. I know how many fights I will have per year and how much I will get from them. There is no uncertainty, all is guaranteed. I can't wait for APB to start."

Russo- "Turning pro in boxing is never easy to decide, especially when you have had a successful Olympic boxing career", declared Russo. "I am thrilled with the career I have had so far, I know what pro-style boxing is about thanks to two seasons in World Series of Boxing, and I now feel ready and happy to join APB, knowing that I will never be left aside."

Comment

• Originally posted by onechance87 View Post
                hope not oscar valdez,Dont think he joined
                He fought One time, and he won, don't worry haha

Here's the fight man, very bad quality, you can find almost all the fights of the WSB on youtube in great quality, but this one didn't make it there in good quality

He beat the Ukranian Leonid Malkov on points, 5 rounds

Also Joseph Diaz Jr. has a 1-1 record, he lost his debut vs Mexican Braulio Avila.
                Last edited by ksan; 08-10-2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

• John Joe Nevin fought fights in the WSB, he only lost once I think but it doesn't look good on his record either way. Actually a lot of Irish amateurs have already fought in the WSB now that I think about it, Willie Mclaughlin, Jason Quigley, Kenny Egan, Sean Turner, David Oliver Joyce etc. The AIBA made a major **** up here. But at least they got a head start on their pro careers at least
                  Last edited by Sportofkings; 08-10-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportofkings View Post
                    John Joe Nevin fought a dozen or so fights in the WSB, he only lost once I think but it doesn't look good on his record either way. The AIBA made a major **** up here.
                    He lost vs Italian Parrinello, he has a record of 7-1.

And look at MMA they dont care about losses, they know the fights are evenly match so there will be losses in the way, in this format they are not protected, and fight vs the best, and after a losing a fight they dont dissapear and people call him bums because of that, because they already have another fight programmed in a month or so.

And they will have the chance to get a Medal at the Olympics.

2 fights vs Italian Olympians

His victory over Picardi

And his loss vs Parrinello

Last edited by ksan; 08-10-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

• Also the good thing about the AIBA Pro Boxing League is that it will have more than the usual 5 rounds and 7 rounds of the WSB, so we will have more stoppages, there were stoppages of course but not that many because the fights were evenly matched, and not showcases vs tomato cans to build a record, but hey the fights were pretty exciting, it was not a typical bum vs star fight.

Like MMA, they fight vs the best amateurs in the world in a pro fight, with no tune ups and tomato cans, so the losses are not that meaningful, because they will be fighting in a month.
                      Last edited by ksan; 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X