Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Roy Jones had fought Nigel Benn and Eubank in 1994 -95?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Brits have heard of satire, no? I believe you invented it
    Just having some good ol' hyperbolic fun.

Comment

• Some of these posts are ridiculous!

Eubank was a very good fighter. But he was more than happy to defend his belt at home, and has admitted as much on numerous occasions. He didn't chase the huge fights in the U.S. so the fight was never viable.

Benn was my favourite fighter as a kid, and he'd have been dangerous for Roy early on. But I think Roy would have out boxed him and TKO'd him late. If Eubank and Watson could do it, Roy certainy could have. Roy had a famous saying that was "You fight a boxer, and box a fighter" He wouldn't have been stupid enough to trade with Nigel, he would have boxed him. Both fighters were interested in the fight, but at the time Don King wanted to tie Roy into a three fight contract. Roy didn't want to be tied to Don, and when they couldn't compromise, Roy turned his attentions to moving up to the 175 division.

Collins was a warrior with a great chin, but I think Roy's speed would have been way too much for him. But I've got to give Steve a lot of credit for chasing Roy like he did.

Calzaghe, said he wanted Roy, but never did anything to get a fight. Roy was in America at 175, while Joe was at home at 168 fighting mainly european competition in a weak divison. How the **** did Roy duck Joe? If Joe wasn't willing to fight in Roy's weight class or country, then the fight was a complete no go. It was too little too late when he finally went over in 2008. In 2006 he said that Roy was finished and a fight between them would be pointless, then two years later he tried to backtrack on what he'd said, and all of a sudden the fight was relevant. The guy was a joker, and he knows he couldn't have beaten Roy at his peak.

When a potential fight was discussed in 2001/2002, Joe was still relatively unknown outside of europe.

What you've got to consider when you look at the guys that Roy missed, is that the majority of them weren't as good as Toney and Hopkins etc.
      Last edited by robertzimmerman; 07-28-2012, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Roy beats both

Comment

• Originally posted by Cazadores View Post
          RJJ's chin wasn't as bad when he was younger. If it was that bad you would have seen him on the floor a lot.
          That's sort of the point, his speed and reflexes were so good that he wouldn't get hit by a big shot, so that's why we didn't discover his glass jaw until later.

Comment

• I think he possibly loses to both but I'd give Eubank a better chance at beating him. With Been it would be hit or miss, I think. With Eubank, I think it would be interesting. I'd cheer for Roy tbh. Never cared for either of those two.

Comment

• Big Benn fan but he would get slaughtered as would anyone below HW. Dumb move on RJJ part.

Comment

Working...
              X