Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worse Thing To Do In Between Training Camps.. Smoking Tobacco OR Drinking Alcohol?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worse Thing To Do In Between Training Camps.. Smoking Tobacco OR Drinking Alcohol?

In between training camps, which is the worst thing to do, drinking alcohol or smoking tobacco/sheesha?

Hatton, for example, was a notorious drunk in between training camps, while Khan is known for smoking sheesha between camps.

Which one do you think has the worst impact on a boxer?

I'm not going to put a BOTH THE SAME option in the poll. I guess look at it like this.. if a boxer both smoked plus drank alcohol and they only said they would give up ONE for the time being - which one should they give up first?
    Smoking Tobacco / Sheesha
    78.26%
    Drinking Alcohol
    21.74%
    Last edited by Fix; 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM.

smoking, unless ure used to it like monzon was ur stamina is bound to take a hit

also u dont inhale the smoke from a sheesha so its like james toney smoking cigars...it doesnt take that much of a toll on ur lungs

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
      smoking, unless ure used to it like monzon was ur stamina is bound to take a hit

also u dont inhale the smoke from a sheesha so its like james toney smoking cigars...it doesnt take that much of a toll on ur lungs
      Some good points but I heard that the reduced harm is actually a misconception.. Check out this article for example, it's an interesting read. It states that medical experts believe sheesha smoking is far more dangerous than regular tobacco smoking:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

Comment

drinking is worse, smoking is bad for your lungs and effects your stamina but alcohol is very bad for your stamin as well and is harful in more ways.

it slows your methabolism making it harder to make weight, lowers testosterone rates, causes braindamge that dramaticly decreases coordination, balance, motor skills and mental quickness, causes your body to age faster and damages the central nerve system making you more susceptible to getting knocked out. those are just a few symtoms of the top of my head.

i have a drink now and then, maybe once every 2 years. thats terrible for a boxer and really something im ashamed of, it is seldom enough to get away with though. but if you want to consistently drink between fights and have that kind of lifestyle you might as well retire.

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
          Some good points but I heard that the reduced harm is actually a misconception.. Check out this article for example, it's an interesting read. It states that medical experts believe sheesha smoking is far more dangerous than regular tobacco smoking:

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae
          if u inhale the smoke then yes it would be a misconception but thats not the way most people smoke it...however smoking from a sheesha increases the danger for developing cancer in the mouth, maybe moreso than alcohol does but these are long term effects which will likely have little impact on professional fighters during camp but increase health risks on the long term

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post

i have a drink now and then, maybe once every 2 years. thats terrible for a boxer and really something im ashamed of, it is seldom enough to get away with though. but if you want to consistently drink between fights and have that kind of lifestyle you might as well retire.
            I'd say that probably the majority of boxers actually drink in between camps. Some do so on fight night after it's over. In the old days of boxing, boxers drank during the fight.

To name a few well-known boxers who drink/drank in between camps: Pacquiao, Haye, Chavez, Pavlik, Chavez Jr, Calzaghe, Henry Armstrong, Mike Tyson,Saul Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya...

List is endless really.

Comment

This is not a very fair question!

But I bet you Broner does both.

But seriously, Idk why any athlete who takes their profession serious would do any of this. Think about all the money you can miss out on once this stuff starts to affect you. Gotta ask yourself in the end, was it really worth it?

Comment

Originally posted by Fix View Post
                I'd say that probably the majority of boxers actually drink in between camps. Some do so on fight night after it's over. In the old days of boxing, boxers drank during the fight.

To name a few well-known boxers who drink/drank in between camps: Pacquiao, Haye, Chavez, Pavlik, Chavez Jr, Calzaghe, Henry Armstrong, Mike Tyson,Saul Alvarez, Oscar De La Hoya...

List is endless really.
                doesnt mean it isnt bad for you.

explains why mayweather and RJJ had the advantages in speed, reflexes and mental quickness amongst other things and were able to dominate. how hopkins is still world class at 47 while ppl like tyson, taylor and hatton were shot by 30.

fighters who dont use drugs will always have an advantage over those who do.

Comment

explains why mayweather and RJJ had the advantages in speed, reflexes and mental quickness amongst other things and were able to dominate. how hopkins is still world class at 47 while ppl like tyson, taylor and hatton were shot by 30.

Mayweather possibly does drink. I mean he says he doesn't but he does have a big wine cellar. It could just be for guests, but we don't know for sure. I don't think he drinks but that possibility is still there because let's face it, he buys a lot of alcohol.

And no disrespect to Roy, but he did get caught taking steroids. It was an innocent mistake I think but at the same time it most likely gave him advantages over other fighters.

Comment

^No, that doesn't explain it. Not even close.

Comment

Working...
                    X