Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Merchant: Khan Fought Out of Control, Paid The Price

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes khan it is a 12 round fight not 3 rounds like amatuers. Take your time, in 3 rounds look at the state of garcias face. Another couple of rounds or so, Garcia would be stopped on cuts or anything could happen.
    You was just abaout getting to him and then blew it.

Comment

Khan is irrelevant & Larry Merchant don't know chit about Boxing

Comment

Life doesn't work out exactly like its on paper.

Danny Garcia>Amir Con

Comment

Isn't "out of control" fights usually the type of fights Merchant prefers?

Comment

What the hell is up with the everyone making excuses for Khan lately? As someone else in here, Khan has been talked about so much that you'd almost forget who actually won. Also, like someone else said, Khan actually looked MORE patient, calm and poised more so then I've ever seen him. He was taking his time and wasn't wasting energy. And was picking his shots better. So, what the hell are people talking about with the "Oh, he got greedy." Or, "Oh, he had the fight won and got ****y" That's complete utter bulls.hit PERIOD.

No, what happened is, Garcia was underrated going into this fight, has better boxing skills then given credit for, and has very good timing. His punches look wide and crude at times, but it's almost like an optical illusion. He almost reminds me of Orlando Salido in the sense that he's like an aggressive counter puncher with very good timing with the hook. The truth is, those first 2 rounds were closer then everyone was making them out to be, and Garcia was timing Khan when he came in, and was landing, he was picking his shots, and by each passing round he was getting closer and closer. I agree that Khan was nicking the rounds due to being more active, but Garcia was picking his shots better and more intelligently.

Best believe that hook was NO "lucky punch" Garcia saw KHan coming in with the uppercut, timed him with the left hook (Very similar to how Holyfield KO'd Buster Douglas), landed it flush, and that was all she wrote. People are giving Khan too much credit, and aren't giving Garcia enough credit. Khan is a good fighter, but he got bested, plain and simple.

Comment

I thought that Bayless gave Khan enough chances to continue. Khan could have been seriously hurt out there. Too much favoritism going in within team HBO.

Comment

If Khan keeps fighting he will end up punch drunk and Larry Merchant already seems as if he is simply from watching to many fights. It is time for both of them to retire.

Comment

Khan was the heavy favorite in the fight, said he would win by KO but wound up getting smacked with a closed glove fist in the 3rd and never regained his composure, got dropped 3times total and stop in the 4th and yet they are making Khan out to be the moral winner? Boxing is on some BS majority of times with this constant favoritism. Danny Garcia beat the sense out of Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by DE100 View Post
                    Fought out of Control, in other words exactly how Merchant thinks boxing should be.

Comment

Originally posted by americanbot View Post
                      thats how khan always fights. what the **** is everyone seeing that looked different from how in normally fights? i thought khan was just being khan.......he's always fought that way
                      Trite, but he slept on Garcia, thinking he couldn't get chin-checked. Check mate.....

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
                      stole the words right from me yup garcia needs to get way more credit then hes been given everything is about khan like hes some elite fighter when hes not hes decent at best
                      Don't get it twisted, Garcia isn't elite either...

Originally posted by Lorily View Post
                      I don't know what it is about Merchant and Lampley when it comes to Khan. Even in Larry's criticism of Khan, he's off point IMO.

I didn't think Khan was wild at all until AFTER he got hurt. I thought Khan was actually more settled down then usual in this fight. He usually comes out blazing, 5-6-7 punch combos (although rarely accurate punches) and flying around the ring. His usual M.O. is to try and overwhelm his opponent with speed and a barrage of punches early in the fight, and against Garcia he seemed more calm and patient, not trying to bedazzle everyone in the first couple of rounds. And secondly, did Larry forget that Bayless had already given Khan the end of round 3 to prove that he could go on?? I mean, how many more times did he want ffs?!?

I just got done rewatching the fight, as always I watch the second time in slow motion.... watch the round in slow-mo, then back it up and watch it in real time and with sound, and then the next round etc. A couple things that I thought were worth making note of....

After the second round when Pop Garcia was talking to Danny inbetween rounds, he said 'left hook, use the left hook [uppercut] - when he's leaning in on the right side, hit him with the left'. What made that interesting to me was Danny, being fairly predictable with his punches, was mostly left jab, looping right, and (sometimes) followed up with mostly a left to the body. He wasn't using his left hook upstairs hardly at all, if any. Coming in to the 3rd, within the first 40 seconds you could see Danny implementing what his Pops had said. He was trying to set Khan up to lean to his right, and hit him with the left upstairs (which is exactly what Danny took Khan down with). I guess I just found it interesting because he hadn't been using the left upstairs, and it meant that not only was Danny listening to his Pops, he was able to go out there and do what he was told to do.

The other thing is, Stewart kept saying over and over that Khan did nothing wrong, that it's just what happens because it's boxing. But the thing is, the reason Khan got caught with that huge left from Danny is because Khan dropped his right down to his waist. So in noticing that, I thought I'd back it up and see if that was something Khan does. Sure enough, he does. Khan has a beautiful straight left jab, and in using it he keeps his right up right where it should be, which is right next to his face (there abouts). But when Khan throws his left with any kind of power shot, to set up the right hand... sure as ****, he drops that right hand down to his waist every single time. I don't know if it's just a bad habit he developed early on because of his speed he could get away with it in the past, but it's obviously a huge problem in his defense. I hadn't noticed this before, but I'd be really interested to see if that was the way and the punch that Prescott caught him with, and the other times he's been down or hurt.

The other thing for Khan, and obviously it's no mystery but, his legs/balance is HORRIBLE. He really needs to work on strengthening them, he has Bambi legs even when he's NOT hurt, trying to avoid punches and throwing a punch. It's very evident when watching him fight in slow-motion. I know for some people this is all probably common knowledge with Khan. I just found it interesting and thought I'd share what I saw.
                      I will say it again, Khan is a professional amateur. BTW, great post .

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
                      he didn't fight outta control
                      he got greedy because he had control
                      he had a tactical boxing advantage and blew it
                      he tried exploring the limits of his edge instead of sticking with it
                      then when he got hurt, he kept exchanging
                      Khan was in control, Garcia was just tougher than him
                      I agree. It was Khan's fight to lose & he did.....

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                      What the hell is up with the everyone making excuses for Khan lately? As someone else in here, Khan has been talked about so much that you'd almost forget who actually won. Also, like someone else said, Khan actually looked MORE patient, calm and poised more so then I've ever seen him. He was taking his time and wasn't wasting energy. And was picking his shots better. So, what the hell are people talking about with the "Oh, he got greedy." Or, "Oh, he had the fight won and got ****y" That's complete utter bulls.hit PERIOD.

No, what happened is, Garcia was underrated going into this fight, has better boxing skills then given credit for, and has very good timing. His punches look wide and crude at times, but it's almost like an optical illusion. He almost reminds me of Orlando Salido in the sense that he's like an aggressive counter puncher with very good timing with the hook. The truth is, those first 2 rounds were closer then everyone was making them out to be, and Garcia was timing Khan when he came in, and was landing, he was picking his shots, and by each passing round he was getting closer and closer. I agree that Khan was nicking the rounds due to being more active, but Garcia was picking his shots better and more intelligently.

Best believe that hook was NO "lucky punch" Garcia saw KHan coming in with the uppercut, timed him with the left hook (Very similar to how Holyfield KO'd Buster Douglas), landed it flush, and that was all she wrote. People are giving Khan too much credit, and aren't giving Garcia enough credit. Khan is a good fighter, but he got bested, plain and simple.
                      Real talk, Garcia starched Khan, but the reason that happened is Khan slept on him. BTW, I'm glad he got caught, can't stand Khan...

Originally posted by Ravens Fan View Post
                      If Khan keeps fighting he will end up punch drunk and Larry Merchant already seems as if he is simply from watching to many fights. It is time for both of them to retire.
                      LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X