Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's to Blame for the Lack of Progession of Cuban Boxers: Promoters or Fans?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MalikKnucklez View Post
    I agree. but he's also American, has had a 15+ year professional career and is one of the most flamboyant and colorful personalities in all of sports.

i think eventually fighters like Gamboa will have cross-cultural prominence regardless of background or large following, similar to what Sergio Martinez has been able to do. Simply because he's up there as one of the most exciting & explosive guys in the sport now. This will be a little more difficult for guys like Rigo and Lara.
    Yeah, Floyd is an extreme example but there are others. One problem is that Rigo, Gamboa and Lara don't have 15 years to build fanbase. They are in their primes now and are ready to take on the top fighters in the sport today.

But if Rigo and Lara get the chance to fight and eventually beat Donaire and Canelo, I think they can become household names in the sport. Look at what defeating Felix Trinidad and De La Hoya did for Bernard Hopkins career. He headlined Pay-Per View events against Jermain Taylor, Antonio Tarver and Winky Wright. And he's probably one of the least mainstream appealing fighters in the sport style wise.

That's why I don't really buy into the notion that these fighters can't be marketed to the public. Of course, not to the extent of a Canelo or a Chavez Jr. but I still think it can be done. The public likes winners.

Comment

Cuban fighters are too much of a risk for the pretty boy champions with little reward so they get ducked.

Comment

Working...
      X