Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did people get mad bout Calzaghe clowing Roy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by egodfather View Post
    Joe Calzaghe clowning Roy Jones Jr was cowardly and highly distasteful. Can you imagine the annihilation of Calzaghe if Jones Jr had ever fought him in his prime? Real boxing fans who know the game know what it is. Calzaghe is nothing when you look at a prime Jones Jr, and I mean nothing.
    Shame Roy never looked for the fight then.

Calzaghe work rate, speed and reflexes would have caused Roy problems whenever they fought.

Comment

Those gifs are not black and white thus I cannot confirm the authenticity of them. It's possible they may have been tampered with.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        Shame Roy never looked for the fight then.

Calzaghe work rate, speed and reflexes would have caused Roy problems whenever they fought.
        How about they were a weight class apart??? Also, did Joe ever look hardly for that fight??? Instead of fighting the likes of Giminez, Sobot, Starie, Sheika, why wouldn't he try to move up to 175 and fight Jones???

Also, since you love to take digs at most Americans, why didn't Calzaghe rematch Hopkins??? Instead, he elected to fight Jones 5 years removed from being any good. And why did he not elect to fight Chad Dawson after Jones??? If he wanted to retire, fine. Nothing wrong with retiring on top, but a fight against Dawson at that point would have been big and enhanced his legacy greatly.

Comment

I'm a Roy fan and I don't really give a fucc. It's a part of boxing.

Roy was obviously past his prime when they fought and trying to justify otherwise is foolish. But it was his decision to keep fighting past his prime and pile up losses on his resume so he has to man up and deal with it.

Comment

when roy fought mike mccallum he never once clowned him. he knew he was fighting a living legend, a fighter with a stronger legacy than himself and on his last leg. he realized it would be classless to the history of the sport for a younger fighter to clown a guy of mccallums stature when mike was on his way out of the game.

you rarely see washed up legends get clowned by younger and lesser fighters, they do what they have to do but dont look to embarass the legend and make a mockery out of the sports history.

we all hear the list of great fighters who fought too long, ali, leonard, duran, hearns, holyfield, robinson, louis etc.. how many of them got clowned at the end? usually ppl have more class than that, except calzaghe ofcourse. roy clowning guys in their primes with no legacy isnt the same thing at all. hes got more class than calzaghe the senior citizen killer.

Comment

Originally posted by egodfather View Post
              Joe Calzaghe clowning Roy Jones Jr was cowardly and highly distasteful. Can you imagine the annihilation of Calzaghe if Jones Jr had ever fought him in his prime? Real boxing fans who know the game know what it is. Calzaghe is nothing when you look at a prime Jones Jr, and I mean nothing.
              so it wasnt distasteful when roy did it to part time cops?
              Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
              This in response to comparing Jones and Calzaghe where they were at age 37.

Okay well if you want to compare different fighters around the same weight in the same era's based on ages, which is ridiculous, than here's some.

Miguel Cotto at 30 to Manny Pacquiao at 30.......completely different stages of their careers, around the same weight class at those times.

Antonio Margarito at 32 to Floyd Mayweather at 32.......completely different stages of their career, around the same weight class at the time.

Sergio Martinez in his mid 30's to Jermian Taylor in his mid 30's right now.

Different fighters age differently, and it's not fair to compare fighters at ages, given they age differently.

No one cares about the clowning, so I don't even know what the point of this thread was. Joe just doesn't get any credit because Roy was like 8 years removed from his prime and around 5 years removed from being any good at all.

And this.....

By the way, Larry you are on a crusade lately, what's up???
              all good points but doest take away the fact Joe is a great fighter
              Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
              If Roy ain't good enough then don't get in the ring.

What next, criticise a fighter for knocking him out.

In fact Calzaghe deserves more credit, because he was put on his a$$ by Roy in the first but still put his chin out there for Roy to try to hit.

And to the people sighting his age, never knew there was an age limit to clown someone?
              exactly................

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                when roy fought mike mccallum he never once clowned him. he knew he was fighting a living legend, a fighter with a stronger legacy than himself and on his last leg. he realized it would be classless to the history of the sport for a younger fighter to clown a guy of mccallums stature when mike was on his way out of the game.

you rarely see washed up legends get clowned by younger and lesser fighters, they do what they have to do but dont look to embarass the legend and make a mockery out of the sports history.

we all hear the list of great fighters who fought too long, ali, leonard, duran, hearns, holyfield, robinson, louis etc.. how many of them got clowned at the end? usually ppl have more class than that, except calzaghe ofcourse. roy clowning guys in their primes with no legacy isnt the same thing at all. hes got more class than calzaghe the senior citizen killer.

I remember Roy bolo punching McCallum and I haven't seen that fight in ages. Calzaghe was hardly a spring chicken himself was he?

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2012 View Post
                  so it wasnt distasteful when roy did it to part time cops?

all good points but doest take away the fact Joe is a great fighter

exactly................
                  He's a HOF and agreat fighter, not an ATG though, and I never said he wasn't great. I was only saying comparing them by age, which you did in your 2nd post on this thread, is ridiculous. Calzaghe at 37 is not the same as Roy at 37, not even close.

Comment

Wait so its cool to clown on Tito Trinidad who happened to be a shell of his former self just a few months prior in the same venue yet when he has it happen to him its wrong? I don't think Roy had a problem with it, just his heartbroken fans.

You know what's really messed up about the whole incident, was that at this point Calzaghe wasn't close to being at his best neither.

Comment

Originally posted by slick23 View Post
                      Wait so its cool to clown on Tito Trinidad who happened to be a shell of his former self just a few months prior in the same venue yet when he has it happen to him its wrong? I don't think Roy had a problem with it, just his heartbroken fans.

You know what's really messed up about the whole incident, was that at this point Calzaghe wasn't close to being at his best neither.
                      He was far better at that point that Roy, that's not even close to worthy of conversation. But I could careless about the clowning, my only point on this thread was telling Larry that comparing how Calzaghe was at 37 to how Roy was at 37 is insane.

Comment

Working...
                      X