No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Tyson question

I know it wouldnt have suited his style but did prime tyson have the feet to be fleet footed , to get up on his toes and dance around the ring like ali ? .

Originally posted by BoxingFanLegend View Post
    I know it wouldnt have suited his style but did prime tyson have the feet to be fleet footed , to get up on his toes and dance around the ring like ali ? .
    Tyson despite being a small heavyweight, Had horrific punching power, He did not need to stay on the outside and fight like Ali, Tyson had a shell and his hooks to the body were his trademark.

Comment

maybe you should ask squatdog...

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.
        Last edited by BoxingFanLegend; 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

He had excellent footspeed and often used to start fights with a strange characteristic skip across the ring. I seem to remember him being quite mobile on his toes early on in round one in the Berbick fight.

He certainly could cut the ring down quickly with his footspeed.

As for adapting an Ali like style.............No, his dimensions and reach wouldn't make it viable. You need reach and height to pull off an Ali/Holmes type of style.

Comment

Ali-like movement would play against his power, shorter reach, and shorter stature. He'd just get jabbed to death by longer, taller guys. He had good footwork for making his way inside, which is what he needed.

Comment

There is an 8 year old thread with over 1500 replies of this question.

Perhaps this might answer your question.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4724

Comment

LOL No, I don't think Tyson was built for that. He would have lost a lot of leverage too. His style was perfect for him.

Comment

Thanks black ink, but I don't think that thread really goes into enough detail for me. Also, has anybody get any new thoughts on the issue?
                  Last edited by BoxingFanLegend; 06-27-2012, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFanLegend View Post
                    did anyone see Mike on PTI yesterday? WOOOOOOOOOWWW the best 7 minutes of TV I've seen in a loong time.

Comment

Working...
                    X