Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 fighters that collectively represent the great in boxing as a sport.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 fighters that collectively represent the great in boxing as a sport.

From skills, to excitement, to confidence, to courage, etc. I was just thinking about those who are Boxing detractors, if there were 5 fighters you feel could showcase the sport we love in the best light...who would they be? Then followed by ONE fight by each fighter they would watch.

*This is not about who was THE BEST, or the greatest. One fighter on the list may be the greatest of all time and another the worst of all time. But something about each of them showed why we love the sport.

B-Hop, the ultimate over achiever.

Floyd, the skilled showman.

Pacman, the bottled lightning.

Ward, the elder youngster

The Punisher, you can't buy heart.

Comment

If you mean represent greatness in and out of the ring, the way the carry themselves......

In no particular order:

Manny Pacquaio - He's all class, great fighter and one of the best of all time when it's said and done.

Juan Manuel Marquez - Great counter puncher, Mexican warrior and what he lacks in physical ability makes up for in intelligence and skill.

Andre Ward - Classy guy, good upbringing and has incredible boxing skill.

Sergio Martinez - Came from nothing, worked extremely hard and is now one of the pound 4 pound guys in the sport.

Miguel Cotto - Not on the level of the rest of the list but classy guy, hard worker and a true warrior in the ring.

Comment

imho, no one, represents boxing worldwide, inside and outside the ring, then cassius marcellus clay, aka muhammad ali...even at this stage, of his life...no one comes close (word)

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
          imho, no one, represents boxing worldwide, inside and outside the ring, then cassius marcellus clay, aka muhammad ali...even at this stage, of his life...no one comes close (word)
          Is this question aimed at now or all time?

Comment

In no particular order...

Mike Tyson - animal
            Naseem Hamed - showman
            Manny Pacquiao - phenomenon
            Floyd Mayweather - boxer
            Ricky Hatton - there's only one....

Comment

Originally posted by taansend View Post
              Is this question aimed at now or all time?
              taansend, i may have put my own spin, on the original question, but imo, 5 fighters put together, can't come close, to muhammad ali...

Comment

Marquez - slick combination puncher

Mayweather - slick counterpuncher/GOAT defense

Pacquiao - explosiveness

Cotto - great body puncher in prime

Margarito - tremendous stamina and ability to break you down
                Last edited by Primera; 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Ali

Tyson

Gatti

Jones

Mayweather

Comment

If we're talking about the last 5-10 years, 5 fighters I would recommend fans to watch, to represent the excitement part of our sport. I would tell them to stay away from these 5:

Bernard Hopkins
                    Andre Ward
                    Wladimir Klitschko
                    Chad Dawson
                    Vitali Klitschko

You might be thinking, these are 5 of his favorite fighters, why wouldn't he recommend watching them. Well like 5 of your favorite songs that you think are great, but you know the majority of people will not like them, that's how I see these fighters. So you just enjoy the songs to yourself, and you listen to them, and you keep them in your playlist, you have to listen o them everyday for your day to be complete. These are 5 fighters who I enjoy watching every year, but I apart from a few fights like Hopkins-Pascal, Dawson-Johnson I, Ward-Abraham/Froch, i'm sure causal will probably not be interested in these guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X