No announcement yet.

What makes Shane Mosley a legend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
    I can fight everyone and lose against everyone. Would I be an ATG?
    Okay I'll give you that but would you call him a ATG for ww for this era?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
      I get it. But here's the thing. I like to spar here and there. And what I've noticed is that, your performance in the ring relies heavily on your conditioning and stamina. Some say conditioning is 90% of the fight. And I agree with that. Because when I spar, the first round my technique is pretty good. But by the 4th round I get fatigued. By the 6th and 7th round, I'm so tired that I can't even throw my punches correctly. So what I'm saying is, a lot of skills and techniques that you mentioned comes from conditioning. Especially in the later rounds.
      I enjoy sparring as well, and if someone is more conditioned or has some edge on me because of PED's I am not going to make a big deal out of it, I would come off as weak, and making excuses, and that's in my own gym. Now I can't speak on the grand stage like elite fighters, but it just isn't something you do, look for excuses to why you lost or whatever. I agree, conditioning well wins the fight most of the time, because if you can't throw punches, and move defensively around the ring at the same rate in round 9 as you did in round 2, and your opponent realizes this, you are in trouble.

But still, my point is this. You give a random person with average conditioning roids and throw him in the ring with a AM fighter with superior skill and conditioning, as well as more ring experience at the same weight, and the more experienced fighter wins every time. Minus that freakishly small percent of a chance the other guy gets a lucky punch, if that. and that's like 1/1000. Chances are in sparring they will only go about 6 rounds.

Comment

Easy

He's Black
        He's American
        He took steroids and got praised for it.

Funny how his career doesn't really get questioned like the rest.

Comment

Shane Mosley was something to see in his prime. He was blistering & ferocious at LW. His problem like some others is that he kinda altered his career to chase the payday/stardom. Totally skipped 140 to go to WW. With his LW career, if he had like 10 fights at 140, and then moved to WW to have another 10 fights then we might be looking at him differently but he wanted that Oscar fight.

Its actually the same with Floyd in alot of ways. He's seen as a great now but if Oscar wasnt around of if Oscar was a LW then Floyd's career wouldve looked a ton different. He shouldve stayed at LW for like 7+ fights, then 140 for 7+ fights, and then WW. That shouldve been his natural physical progression.

If he does that then he looks even more special then he has looks with probably a much better resume in alot of people's eyes but he also wanted that big money/fame Oscar fight

Comment

Originally posted by res View Post
            I thought the steroids were in the second fight.
            It was. Therefore, I question his previous fights before that. I don't believe that Shane Mosley's success relied on strictly steroids. No matter what, you need talent to be good in boxing. But when a professional boxer who is considered to be great in a lot of people's eyes are using steroids on top of that greatness, than that's just ****ed up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              Easy

He's Black
              He's American
              He took steroids and got praised for it.

Funny how his career doesn't really get questioned like the rest.
              It's the sugar in his name lol
              Also he's got a jerricurl he has enough problems lol

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                Shane Mosley was something to see in his prime. He was blistering & ferocious at LW. His problem like some others is that he kinda altered his career to chase the payday/stardom. Totally skipped 140 to go to WW. With his LW career, if he had like 10 fights at 140, and then moved to WW to have another 10 fights then we might be looking at him differently but he wanted that Oscar fight.

Its actually the same with Floyd in alot of ways. He's seen as a great now but if Oscar wasnt around of if Oscar was a LW then Floyd's career wouldve looked a ton different. He shouldve stayed at LW for like 7+ fights, then 140 for 7+ fights, and then WW. That shouldve been his natural physical progression.

If he does that then he looks even more special then he has looks with probably a much better resume in alot of people's eyes but he also wanted that big money/fame Oscar fight
                Floyd's best career move was probably going up to face Oscar at 154. His resume is still ATG for his era. And him being known as the best Super Featherweight of all time, yet is currently campaigning at 147-154, still undefeated at 35, just goes to show you how great he is.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  Wouldnt specifically call him a "legend" but he was a great fighter
                  agreed..............

Comment

Originally posted by Piper the Great View Post
                    He a legend to me. Just like Roy he fought to long.
                    He didn't fight too long. I think he made some poor career choices.

He only fought about 2 years more than he should have. That's not much. He should have retired after the Sergio Mora Draw. Pacquiao and Canelo were cash out fights.

Remember Shane resurrected his career in 2009. He looked like a new Shane Mosley, was in the top 10 P4P list, was being ducked by Pacquiao. He retired 3 years after that. He didn't fight for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                      Floyd's best career move was probably going up to face Oscar at 154. His resume is still ATG for his era. And him being known as the best Super Featherweight of all time, yet is currently campaigning at 147-154, still undefeated at 35, just goes to show you how great he is.
                      true but everyone on these boards & the media really value the big 4 of Pac, MAB, EM, & JMM. He couldve had those guys on the resume if he stayed down. I think he also would look like a more special fighter if he had stayed down. He just now great into WW recently and he's still only 150 pounds.

You could see after the N'Dou fight he was really comfortable at LW. I wouldve loved to see how he wouldve looked at that weight from then on. The same with 140. He was looking so special. Wouldve loved to see how he wouldve looked if he had stayed

Comment

Working...
                      X