Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by check hook View Post
    James and Roy never "chased" they cut off the ring. Nunn was taking all the early rds off Toney who was catching up late and eventually finsihed him by cutting off the ring. Dirrell hasn't proiven himself to be better than Nunn at this stage.

"Anything can happen." Sure, but we are talking about what is likely to happen, not what could happen.
    Fighting Dirrell.

They will chase. Count on it. Or lose because they decided they didn't want to fight. Because I have no doubt in my mind that Dirrell has no qualms about avoiding an opponent for 12 rounds.

Comment

i think jones spanks any super middle out there today, and I dont think any of them would come close. ward would be the closest, but would do nothing significant, and dawson is next to nothing when compared to roy.

roy beats them all, and it shouldnt even be a competition

Comment

There is no fighter right that could possibly beat a prime Roy at 168. I don't think there is anyone in the history of the sport that could beat Roy at 168....Maybe Ezzard Charles?

I think there are quite a few at 175 in the history that could beat Roy, and also at 160...But, 168 Roy IMO was the closest thing to unbeatable as you can get...great combo of size, speed, reflex, power, had a better chin at 168 IMO than 175, strength, just awesome SMW fighter. Too bad he didn't stay there long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jrosales13 View Post
          There is no fighter right that could possibly beat a prime Roy at 168. I don't think there is anyone in the history of the sport that could beat Roy at 168....Maybe Ezzard Charles?

I think there are quite a few at 175 in the history that could beat Roy, and also at 160...But, 168 Roy IMO was the closest thing to unbeatable as you can get...great combo of size, speed, reflex, power, had a better chin at 168 IMO than 175, strength, just awesome SMW fighter. Too bad he didn't stay there long enough.
          H2H, I wouldn't bet or put money on anyone to beat him, prime for prime of course.

Comment

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
            Would it be the first time the "lesser" fighter won a fight? Would it be the first time styles and gameplanning played a factor in a fight? Forget it... I don't expect a reasonable response from someone such as yourself.
            Banking on a one in a thousand chance that Jones has dysentery the night of the fight isn't a reasonable position. When you're talking about two fighters getting in the ring you're talking about what's likely to happen not whatever off-the-wall result might come down if you roll the dice enough times.

Originally posted by QUELOQUE View Post
            Not only do you dick ride to the point of anopia of your ignorance, but you're an arrogant, nescient assh0le as well... a couple of excellent traits. Good luck with that... There's nothing to gain from this experience, so I'll bow out.
            You don't have to be d1ckrider to know that Roy Jones is an ATG fighter.....and to know that Ward isn't at an ATG level. It's ignorance not to recognize those two VERY salient facts.

Poet

Comment

Change your user title, brah.

And lol @ the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                Fighting Dirrell.

They will chase. Count on it. Or lose because they decided they didn't want to fight. Because I have no doubt in my mind that Dirrell has no qualms about avoiding an opponent for 12 rounds.
                How the hell can you pick Dirrell over Roy Jones lol

Comment

There's a SMALL handful I'd pick to beat Jones at 175: Ezzard Charles being the first and foremost. But there ain't too many that's for sure. I wouldn't pick anyone over Jones at 168.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
                    H2H, I wouldn't bet or put money on anyone to beat him, prime for prime of course.
                    Depends on what weight. 154 and 160 Roy was a little too green for some of the greats in there.

At 168, I agree...Like I said maybe Charles and that's it...And, that's a maybe.

At 175 there would be a handful I would pick. You can read it below.

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    There's a SMALL handful I'd pick to beat Jones at 175: Ezzard Charles being the first and foremost. But there ain't too many that's for sure. I wouldn't pick anyone over Jones at 168.

Poet
                    I agree at 175, it is small, Charles Would be one, I think Bob Foster could land something and turn his lights out. And, Spinks would be another guy I would favor over Roy. But, that's about it IMO. Roy was a special dude.

However, I know I'm in the minority but I think Tarver gives a prime Roy trouble, I think his southpaw stance, tall lengthy, good timing, solid skills, pretty smart, would always have been trouble for Roy. Not sure Tarver beats him. But, gives him issues I do believe he does.

Comment

ward could come the close, but i think roy beats them all, interesting match

Comment

Working...
                      X