No announcement yet.

Does Lateef beat Tarver?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Lateef beat Tarver?

Honestly, I know absolutely nothing about him. I'm going to watch some film on him tomorrow afternoon before the fight, but as of now, I know diddly.
    Does NSB mind schooling me on him and thoughts on the fight? All I know is he's undefeated and evidently packs a punch from what I've heard.

He's strong as hell, but pretty crude. Not much snap on his shots, he's lands with a thud, and hes more of a plodder type ....he might miss 200 shots, but he can TKO Tarver IMO if he hurts him and puts a barrage together...especially against the ropes. Kayode does smother himself at times tho

His footwork isnt that great, he definitely struggles with lateral movement and counterpunchers, but he's pretty relentless despite all that. He is hittable, I think he was slightly wobbled in a recent shobox fight but I cant quite remember.... his opponent boxed and moved better than expected and the crowd booed the decision IIRC. When you see him I'm sure you'll notice the same and why Tarver would agree to fight him even though he is outmatched on strength, age, and overall vitality.

Tarver is more flat footed than usual days, but he can still use angles and pivots...I thikn he will be able to land a ton up the middle as he lets Kayode fall in..keep him turning the majority of the fight. When he gets tired, go to the ropes and try to get Lateef to burn himself out missing punches....that is when there are danger moments tho no doubt. I want to pick Tarver because of the obvious mismatch in skill.... but I dont know if this will be a straight up boxing match because Kayode is so crude and relentless that he could make it physical on the older man
    Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 06-02-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the excellent reply!
      I was going to pick Tarver to win, but his age has me a little worried. Kayode could overcome Tarver with his youth and relentlessness..... but I'm considering siding with Tarver in this.

Comment

I honestly don't think so. A while back one of Tarver's sparring partners beat Kaode's a$$ & Lateef was lucky to walk away with that W. That's where the beef began & I feel Tarver (even at his age) has the tools to beat Kaode who outside of his power has no other tools.

Comment

Tarver will pick him apart. Kayode is a typical jump-in-flurry-jump-out Roach fighter.

Comment

Alright, thanks for the replys guys. My only concern was Tarver's age and power of Lateef

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
              Thanks for the excellent reply!
              I was going to pick Tarver to win, but his age has me a little worried. Kayode could overcome Tarver with his youth and relentlessness..... but I'm considering siding with Tarver in this.
              Kayode gasses out quickly in fights, usually because he blows his load in the first couple of rounds swinging for (and usually missing) the fences. As someone else said, he's a plodder and usually has his mouth wide open and gasping for air by the 3rd round. Honestly, Kayode's stamina is about on par with Tarvers age so I don't see Antonio's age being a problem lol. Kayode can't handle guys who use movement at all and he gets frustrated easily. His strong desire to knock Tarver the **** out will work against him IMO. Other then Kayode's power, I don't see anything that special in him... I've watched his last 3 or 4 fights and was unimpressed in his winning, which is exactly what Tarver pretty much has been saying and is why Kayode wanted the fight so badly with Tarver. I think this fight will be a perfect example of experience over youth. I wouldn't be surprised if Tarver were to K.O. Kayode, but more then likely Tarver by UD.

Comment

Ok while I do agree with most of the assessments of Lateef, it seems everyone is forgetting about Kayode having good speed. This could trouble Tarver, if Tarver turned 73 instead of 43. Kayode does mix his punches up(Goin to the head and body, from what Ive seen he is a commited body puncher). He also doubles, triples, and quadruples up his jab, which we dont see a lot of fighters do nowadays. He does tend to plod, but its not usually done without the jab, and he does vary the speed, and pop on his jab to keep opponents off balanced. He is very hittable, but in his last couple of fights I've seen him incorperate more head movement which he will need against Tarver, but if we look at Tarver's outting against Danny Green we'll see that it dont take much to get close to Antonio anymore. It'll be interesting to see how Lateef deals with the awkwardness of a southpaw with the experience that Tarver brings. But I think ya'll are short changing Kayode a bit, and giving Tarver some credit that he no longer warrants given his performances of late.

Comment

Originally posted by goblin213 View Post
                  Tarver will pick him apart. Kayode is a typical jump-in-flurry-jump-out Roach fighter.
                  Hmmm isn't that how Bradley fights as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                    Hmmm isn't that how Bradley fights as well?
                    Nope, Bradley fights however he needs to, at range, rough on the inside, moving laterally. He does it all, you should really check him out, you'll be surprised.

Comment

Working...
                    X