Collapse
No announcement yet.

So let's talk about Paul Williams and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man, heck no. Is this even a serious question? I know many feel bad about what happened to Paul and my prayers go out to him, but heck no.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnybur View Post
      Yeah your right, he went a little too far with the banned for this stupid thread comment. Although P-Will getting into the HOF is not a valid question, I can see how to his fans and others its a entertaining question that is conversation worthy if nothing else.
      I'm a big fan of Paul Williams and made this thread to see what the boxing world thinks of Williams career. I see a couple of people angry about the thread but unfortunately, I can not go to my next door neighbor, or text my best friends to ask them what did they think of Williams career and his HOF eligibility, because they don't watch boxing. So really, this is the best place to ask. Whether 99% say no or whatever, it's still a worthy question considering how watered down the boxing HOF is now.

Comment

The HOF has never ever really been about P4P. It is more of a popularity contest. It is a place for Famous fighters more than anything else. Fighters who have made an impact with the masses.

Unfortunately Paul never really had that impact with the masses. Paul was always near that step out performance that would capture the popularity base that the average Joe could give him, but never quite got there. He was always a good fighter, but never really a star. He was not around long enough in the spotlight.

Comment

You have to take into consideration that many guys avoided him for so long.

If he gets the Mayweather, Pavlik, Pac and Mosley fights when he asked for them, who knows.

Comment

Paul Williams best win: Sergio Martinez

Now name me Miguel Cotto's best win? And he is a future hall of famer. Remember guys like Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley wanted nothing with this man. Paul had the balls to fight anyone and not many stepped up to the plate. Alot of people are over looking him because of the second Martinez fight and the lara fight. Martinez is top 3 p4p and lara is a very underrated fighter. Paul is a beast

Comment

Originally posted by U Got Punished View Post
              Paul Williams best win: Sergio Martinez

Now name me Miguel Cotto's best win? And he is a future hall of famer. Remember guys like Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley wanted nothing with this man. Paul had the balls to fight anyone and not many stepped up to the plate. Alot of people are over looking him because of the second Martinez fight and the lara fight. Martinez is top 3 p4p and lara is a very underrated fighter. Paul is a beast
              His best win against Martinez, who alot of people thought he lost that fight, was also the guy who gave him the worst defeat, unless you count the Lara fight which we all know the outcome of that fight. If Margarito can beat Martinez, that really doesnt say much about the guy as a fighter. Martinez's win over Pavlik turned out to not be very special after finding out all the shi* that was going on in Pavliks life. At least Cotto beat a sure fire HOFer in Mosley. However, im not so sure Cotto gets in either, I would like to see him in though, just dont see PWill getting in. He really didnt do anything special, that Lara fight set him way way back.

Comment

His best win against Martinez, who alot of people thought he lost that fight, was also the guy who gave him the worst defeat, unless you count the Lara fight which we all know the outcome of that fight. If Margarito can beat Martinez, that really doesnt say much about the guy as a fighter. Martinez's win over Pavlik turned out to not be very special after finding out all the shi* that was going on in Pavliks life. At least Cotto beat a sure fire HOFer in Mosley. However, im not so sure Cotto gets in either, I would like to see him in though, just dont see PWill getting in. He really didnt do anything special, that Lara fight set him way way back.
                how many years ago was the Margarito Martinez fight? Get real for a minute. Just because Lara isnt a house hold name doesnt mean hes a bad boxer. The man has skills. Paul did win that first fight though

Comment

Originally posted by deanrw View Post
                  The HOF has never ever really been about P4P. It is more of a popularity contest. It is a place for Famous fighters more than anything else. Fighters who have made an impact with the masses.

Unfortunately Paul never really had that impact with the masses. Paul was always near that step out performance that would capture the popularity base that the average Joe could give him, but never quite got there. He was always a good fighter, but never really a star. He was not around long enough in the spotlight.
                  I agree.

Nobody was really angry about Arturo Gatti/HOF talks after he died. That is because of what you said, his popularity, his connection with hardcore boxing fans, his memorable fights. So there's a lot people out there who would love to see Gatti in the HOF because of this. Yet Paul Williams is a better fighter than him, with better wins, and exciting fights. But him being in the HOF is apparently an absolute "no". So yeah, you are right with your assessment of the HOF.

Comment

Originally posted by U Got Punished View Post
                    how many years ago was the Margarito Martinez fight? Get real for a minute. Just because Lara isnt a house hold name doesnt mean hes a bad boxer. The man has skills. Paul did win that first fight though
                    Lara has some skills but if Pwill was a HOF caliber fighter, no way Lara should have beat him as bad as he did. It wasnt even close, and this is the same Lara who only a year ago Drew with Carlos Molina, and you could argue Molina won that fight. Molina has 4 losses. I know Paul is your boy, I just dont see him as a HOFer. We are all entitled to our own opinions and if you really think he deserves it, then I'll respect that.

Comment

Aside from that one terrible scorecard from I think Pierre something, Williams won that fight fair and square. The people who said Martinez won or got robbed or whatever, already hated Paul Williams.

Comment

Working...
                      X