Collapse
No announcement yet.

So let's talk about Paul Williams and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't even think he deserves to be in the ballot TBH. That's just my opinion and I really like P-Will. I guess if Sven Ottke and Dariusz M can be in the ballot so can P-Will. But, can't vote for him. He shouldn't get in IMO.

There was a smallish debate on what was his best win. I think is Margarito personally. I like that win more than the Martinez win. Yes Martinez might be a bad ass right now. But, at one point in time Margarito was just as bad ass. Martinez might be avoided right now. But, at one point in time Margarito was just as avoided if not more so.

But, what makes for me Margarito the better win. Is that P-Will clearly beat Margarito. Yea you got a few people who think that it was draw. But, the generous consensus is that it was a clear 115-113 victory for P-Will. While the Martinez win was more questionable debatable. It was close enough that it could have went either way. It's not just who you beat, it's also when you beat them and how you beat them. It really doesn't matter which way you go though. I don't think you can go wrong with either pick. But, I personally like the Margarito win more because of how he won. It was a more decisive victory.

Oh and Kev, sorry again I like P-Will but he isn't the best none HOF'er. There is Eddie Booker, Bert Lytell. I know people don't really like old timers. Let alone old timers from Asia but is he better than Pone Kingpetch? I don't think so. I think these 3 deserve to get in before P-Will. I look at Donald Curry and Wilfredo Vazquez Sr as better than P-Will as well who are not in the HOF and more than likely deserve to get in before P-Will. Is P-Will better than Chicanito Hernandez? I'm not sure. And, I don't really think Chicanito is a HOF either. But, was arguably better than P-Will.

P-Will was a good fighter in his era, an avoided fighter of his era. I think a really nice guy who wanted to fight the best. Love his mindset when it came to boxing. But, just isn't HOF.

Comment

• ^^^^^^ C'mon fellas...let me have fun with it!!!...I understand the role Rocko played and WHY he's in the hall....everytime I mention that dude being honored for his flicks I get some counters thrown my way ....its all good though!! LOL

Comment

• Here comes Jro with his absolute-must-have boxing historian post. Has to let us all know how he knows fighters none of us has heard of.

Comment

• he should get it, maybe as a sympathy vote but he is a warrior who fought everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REED™ View Post
            Here comes Jro with his absolute-must-have boxing historian post. Has to let us all know how he knows fighters none of us has heard of.

I'm sorry

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
              I'm sorry
              You seem to know quite a lot about the topic - can you give me your opinion on why the IBHOF let Ingo Johansen(sp. sorry Ingo) in? Based on his inclusion it seems a travesty to leave ANYBODY out. Not that Ingo was bad, he just wasn't great.

Comment

• Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                everybody see things differently....ever since the HOF let Sylvester Stallone in for his fake fights...just think, dude banked more for those fake fights with fake punches and fake cuts and fake blood...than REAL fighters bank for real punches, real cuts and real blood....so I say Paul is a sure shot in my book...even if they don't OFFICIALLY let him in(I doubt he gets in) he'll still be seen as a HOF'er in my book....Big Pun was a REAL fighter....flawed, but he bought it everytime...nuff respect!!
                Sly went in as Observer

Observer (Print and media journalists, publishers, writers, historians, photographers and artists)

These are the people in his same section.

Dave Anderson

Al Bernstein

Lester Bromberg

Jimmy Cannon

Harry Carpenter

Ralph Citro

Howard Cosell

TAD Dorgan

Jack Fiske

Paul Gallico

Bill Gallo

Reg Gutteridge

W.C. Heinz

Jersey Jones

Hank Kaplan

Michael Katz

Joe Koizumi

Hugh McIlvanney

Larry Merchant

Harry Mullan

Barney Nagler

LeRoy Neiman

Damon Runyon

Budd Schulberg

Ed Schuyler

Sylvester Stallone

Bert Sugar

Stanley Weston
                Last edited by oc9979; 05-30-2012, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bibleofboxing View Post
                  You seem to know quite a lot about the topic - can you give me your opinion on why the IBHOF let Ingo Johansen(sp. sorry Ingo) in? Based on his inclusion it seems a travesty to leave ANYBODY out. Not that Ingo was bad, he just wasn't great.
                  Don't really know a lot.

I don't think Johansson should be in the HOF either. His name to fame IMO is a trilogy with Floyd Patterson, he dominated the first Patterson fight and went on to lose the next 2. The guy he only lost to was to Patterson. He was pretty big in Europe at the time. Especially in Sweeden, who doesn't have a rich boxing tradition. He also beat top rated HW Eddie Machen who was undefeated at the time and very solid fighter. But, not enough to be in the HOF IMO. I think they only voted for him cuz' of the Patterson trilogy. Maybe someone else on here would know more. But, I don't see it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                    Don't really know a lot.

I don't think Johansson should be in the HOF either. His name to fame IMO is a trilogy with Floyd Patterson, he dominated the first Patterson fight and went on to lose the next 2. The guy he only lost to was to Patterson. He was pretty big in Europe at the time. Especially in Sweeden, who doesn't have a rich boxing tradition. He also beat top rated HW Eddie Machen who was undefeated at the time and very solid fighter. But, not enough to be in the HOF IMO. I think they only voted for him cuz' of the Patterson trilogy. Maybe someone else on here would know more. But, I don't see it.
                    Pretty sure it was based off getting the win over Patterson, who's a for sure HOF Heavyweight. His only other notable wins were Eddie Machen, though that was a very good win at the time, and Brian London, which was an okay win. Don't think he deserves to be in either.

Comment

• Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                      everybody see things differently....ever since the HOF let Sylvester Stallone in for his fake fights...just think, dude banked more for those fake fights with fake punches and fake cuts and fake blood...than REAL fighters bank for real punches, real cuts and real blood....so I say Paul is a sure shot in my book...even if they don't OFFICIALLY let him in(I doubt he gets in) he'll still be seen as a HOF'er in my book....Big Pun was a REAL fighter....flawed, but he bought it everytime...nuff respect!!

do you understand the meaning of a "non-participant?"

i'm just curious and not looking to dig at you. from your post it's pretty clear that you do not

there's a separate category for guys who dont box

most of them are writers, managers, promotors, etc.
                      guys who do their work with a fountain pen

stallone is in there because he's a writer. a screenwriter (writing for movies or filmed media.) he created rocky, who is one of the most galvanizing figures in all of american cinema

the first rocky moves is one of the greatest movies ever. not just about boxing. not just about sports. ever. it's a truly great film and story.

rocky is about as lovable a character as you'll ever see.

people who have never seen a boxing match or fistfight in their lives can identify with the character that stallone created.

he's in there for creating rocky the character, and "Rocky" the first film.

he's not in there for being a fighter in movies
                      yikes
                      did you really think that's what they inducted him for?
                      do you know how many kids went straight to a boxing gym after seeing that movie?

"man, that rocky could really scrap. he's got wins over apollo creed, the russian, mr t, tommy gun morrison, and a draw with antonio "the line" tarver. more than 10 defenses of the legit championship. sure fire hall of famer."
                      Last edited by New England; 05-30-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X