Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kinda started in a weird way. The first season of TUF got me into the UFC. I was a fan briefly, but the way they talked about boxing really turned me off, because while I never watched boxing I always had respect for it. So for whatever reason I started watching RJJ and Tyson highlights for a month, bought fight night rd 4 and my first fight I ever watched was Malignaggi vs Diaz 1, a damn robbery. Well the rest is history and I have only missed a handful of televised cards since.

Comment

Roy Jones vs Vinny Paz 1995 i was 12, i watched boxing here and there at that time but that fight made me hardcore fan

Comment

The reason I love boxing so much is because it's truely different from any other sport. In any other sport there's always "next year" if u lose. In boxing there isn't a "next year." Every boxer has a life span to his professional career and every punch takes a toll on their body. While other athletes pretend to be hurt to get an advantage on fouls or buy time; boxers pretend that they're not hurt when they really are. Becoming a boxing fan has made me less interested in watching other sports watching men play with a ball lol. Even the training in boxing can break any normal athlete down mentally. You have to admire the dedication boxers have to their craft.

Comment

Sitting in junior year history class, and we get assigned a final project worth 15% of our grade and I wasn't much of a history fanatic but I'm pinoy so I've seen Manny fighting since probably the 1st Marquez fight.

While my teacher was discussing the project she laid out a few examples we could also use if we wanted to and the first thing she said was "Muhammad Ali" and when she said that I thought back to my freshmen year english project on Bruce Lee and thought "hey Ali is one of the greatest (supposedly) and I know Lee liked Ali so I'll just do my project on Ali."

Then I started reading a few facts, watched the Liston and Williams fights and was amazed. Watched highlights, some interviews, and a bit of his rhyme skills.. got hooked on the GOAT. From there on I even went to a gym everyday in the summer and a few extra months.. got hooked on boxing there. Jumping rope and looking up at the fight posters was badass too. Marciano vs Louis and all that.

Comment

Originally posted by tito_bandito View Post
            The reason I love boxing so much is because it's truely different from any other sport. In any other sport there's always "next year" if u lose. In boxing there isn't a "next year." Every boxer has a life span to his professional career and every punch takes a toll on their body. While other athletes pretend to be hurt to get an advantage on fouls or buy time; boxers pretend that they're not hurt when they really are. Becoming a boxing fan has made me less interested in watching other sports watching men play with a ball lol. Even the training in boxing can break any normal athlete down mentally. You have to admire the dedication boxers have to their craft.
            Great post, I agree.

Comment

Mike Weaver versus Big John Tate! That fight is burned into my brain. I was nine at the time of the fight. I watched it on ABC with my older brother. Tate was pummeling Weaver for 14 1/2 rounds and cruising to an easy decision. Then "wack" Weaver turned out the lights on Tate dropping him like a wet sack of hammers! Tate fell flat on his face with seconds left in the round. That is the moment. Thank you Mike Weaver! You will always be one of my favorite fighters!

Comment

Originally posted by Zen_Fighter View Post
                Mike Weaver versus Big John Tate! That fight is burned into my brain. I was nine at the time of the fight. I watched it on ABC with my older brother. Tate was pummeling Weaver for 14 1/2 rounds and cruising to an easy decision. Then "wack" Weaver turned out the lights on Tate dropping him like a wet sack of hammers! Tate fell flat on his face with seconds left in the round. That is the moment. Thank you Mike Weaver! You will always be one of my favorite fighters!
                A great fight!!

Comment

When I heard how much money Sugar Ray Leonard was making, it made me think, " wow". "He makes so much money, I wish there was a place where I can brag about it and boast about how healthy he will be when he retires".

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Berry Picker View Post
                    When I heard how much money Sugar Ray Leonard was making, it made me think, " wow". "He makes so much money, I wish there was a place where I can brag about it and boast about how healthy he will be when he retires".

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                    this made me laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by SlySlickSmooth View Post
                      Sitting in junior year history class, and we get assigned a final project worth 15% of our grade and I wasn't much of a history fanatic but I'm pinoy so I've seen Manny fighting since probably the 1st Marquez fight.

While my teacher was discussing the project she laid out a few examples we could also use if we wanted to and the first thing she said was "Muhammad Ali" and when she said that I thought back to my freshmen year english project on Bruce Lee and thought "hey Ali is one of the greatest (supposedly) and I know Lee liked Ali so I'll just do my project on Ali."

Then I started reading a few facts, watched the Liston and Williams fights and was amazed. Watched highlights, some interviews, and a bit of his rhyme skills.. got hooked on the GOAT. From there on I even went to a gym everyday in the summer and a few extra months.. got hooked on boxing there. Jumping rope and looking up at the fight posters was badass too. Marciano vs Louis and all that.
                      Great story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X