Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What made you a boxing fan? Why do you love the sport?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KingHippo View Post
    I turned from casual to hardcore fan after watching the Mayweather-Cotto fight. I thought Mayweather sucked and couldn't figure out why he won. Then I watched it again, and again, and again, and it dawned upon me... That guy is a focking genius...

Been hooked ever since.
    Great story, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      Everyone is here for different reasons, some are new fans some are old timers, But we can all look back on a defining moment where we said to ourselves, "I really like this boxing stuff, I can get into this". When was that for you?

For me, it was when I realized how elegant, and intricate boxing really is. The art of being within range of your opponent and making him miss, and or countering effectively. When I realized the chess aspect of the game. The hard work a fighter and his team puts in, and the climax of the payoff, I just can't get enough of it. Oscar was my early favorite fighter, and still is to this day. I didn't realize how fundamentally sound he was at first, he made me appreciate a good jab. Then eventually I found myself at a gym, delved into the amateurs and the rest is history. I guess I have/had some potential, but I could never see myself doing it professionally, let me be the spectator for the big stuff. I still hit the gym at least 4 times a week when possible, and love watching fight tapes, old and new.
      But the more I learned, the more I loved, and as much as I know now, I know nothing compared to some old timers out there. And I always am looking to learn more about this amazing sport. I really don't understand how some people don't like boxing. I guess if you never bothered to watch a fight and take the time to understand the science, but for those who just speak down on it, like some MMA fans I know of personally, I just don't understand how you cannot love boxing!

Excellent question.

I was a lil cry baby sissy punk azz piece of **** that my dad was ashamed of...

To a guy who has war wounds and fears only God.

I'd make most of the you soft dudes on the site shizit themselves...

I'm just ghetto.

Comment

• Oscar-Manny when I was a young'un in Vegas with my Pee-Wee football team

After that, Bute/Pascal & the Broner/Maidana aftermath got me hooked hardcore.

Comment

• Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
          Oscar-Manny when I was a young'un in Vegas with my Pee-Wee football team

After that, Bute/Pascal & the Broner/Maidana aftermath got me hooked hardcore.

Dang homie you're young as fook if you were a kid for ODLH/Manny lol, that means you probably don't remember prime ODLH.

Bute/Pascal and Broner/Maidana were great fights to become a fan over for sure, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post

Dang homie you're young as fook if you were a kid for ODLH/Manny lol, that means you probably don't remember prime ODLH.

Bute/Pascal and Broner/Maidana were great fights to become a fan over for sure, thanks for sharing.
            Bute/Pascal was trash but I'm Romanian so I rooted for my guy.

Pitiful performance

Comment

• It was in the 90s, being there in family gatherings with pops, uncles, and pops friends watching big PPV fights in the 90s when I was a kid...Tyson, DLH, Jones, Holyfield, Chavez. Watching fights on ESPN too in the 90s. Basically I watched it because my father watched it.

I would go for certain fighters based on nothing, just them being underdog. For example in 1999 I was 10, I was going for Trinidad in the DLH fight and I remember laughing at DLH getting robbed and the people in the room who were going for DLH

Comment

• My dad was a fighter and he started taking me to TV Ringside every Monday night at Festival Hall in Melbourne Australia , that was from about 1965, I remember some great fights and I was hooked on the sport ever since.

Comment

• it all started when i bought the fraud mayweather vs the great baldomir ppv event. after seeing fraud jr potshoting and back pedaling all night long a miracle happened. believe it or not i was able to sleep like a log.

since then my problem with insomnia was completely cured and i became a serious boxing aficionado.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuyukut View Post
                    it all started when i bought the fraud mayweather vs the great baldomir ppv event. after seeing fraud jr potshoting and back pedaling all night long a miracle happened. believe it or not i was able to sleep like a log.

since then my problem with insomnia was completely cured and i became a serious boxing aficionado.
                    Ah no wonder you know very little about boxing you haven't had near the time to understand it at its core, youre what I call a surface dweller.

Comment

• I became a boxing fan when I saw Floyd pummel Connor with his estrogenical fists of fury

Comment

Working...
                      X