Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If RJJ retired AFTER fighting Ruiz, would he have gone down as a TOP 5 ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roy Jones Jr. is the most god gifted talent to ever lace on a pair of gloves. Talent wise he is the GOAT. It's resume wise he never had the foes to help him catch up to his talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
      Bob Fitzsimmons did it too, and beat better competition in doing so, but he often misses out on the top 10
      You can make this case but coupled with RJJ's top 2 talent that's where I use mystique along with accomplishment.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        Roy Jones Jr. is the most god gifted talent to ever lace on a pair of gloves. Talent wise he is the GOAT. It's resume wise he never had the foes to help him catch up to his talent.

As I said in your your User CP. Green k.

Couldn't have said it better. Quick and to the point.

Comment

i don't really get why people discredit roy's resume. middleweight to heavyweight is quite an accomplish. hopkins and toney are hall of famers. he beat many other good fighters and not just beat but dominated.

i love roberto duran. i would put him toward the very top of the all time list. but if you wanted to nitpick, you can say that leonard was really the only true great fighter he beat. davey moore was not any better than montell griffin. iran barkley was not any better than virgil hill.

roy's resume is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            I know if he retired after the Ruiz fight he'd be incredibly overrated at this point.

But, sadly, how his career has gone after that has made him become underrated.
            Best answer.

Among casual/ mainstream Boxing fans he would be a Top 5 ATG.

You would probably get a significant number of pure Boxing fans rating him at number 1 for Light Heavyweights

There would be almost unanimous consent that he was top 3 as far as natural talent is concerned.
            Last edited by res; 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              Roy fought the best available and dominated them hands down. He had two close fights in like 16 years (Tarver I and Griffin).

Roy never fought Dariuz because he wanted Roy to go to Europe to fight him. Roy deserved to fight at home in the states until he lost. Now that Roy lost, you see he didn't have a problem fighting over seas or making the Hopkins fight. Guys didn't want to fight Roy by his rules so a few fights never happened. Far from ducking anyone.

Fact is, head to head Roy could possibly beat anyone P4P in the history of the sport.

Which is why he made his opponents look like nobody's.

It's not that Hopkins was green, Hopkins just went up against one of the greatest fighters of all time in his prime. Simple as that.

Roy fought past when he should have. That's his biggest mistake, not that he never fought anyone that would make him GOAT worthy.

If Roy is in wars like Ali, Pac and Robinson; a lot of guys would change their tune about him. But the fact that he essentially dominated everyone in his prime, it's "Oh, he never fought anyone; therefore, he couldn't have possibly been the GOAT".

GTFOH
              Thank You, bro..... this is EXACTLY how I feel. I couldnt have said it better myself.

Green K

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                H2H he is up there. But, there is no H2H GOAT. In fantasy H2H match ups you would put them in weight-class they participated in.

Like Ricardo Lopez is the GOAT H2H since we would only match him up to weight-classes he participated in and he was arguably the best in both.

When people talk about ATG and top 5 and top 10 and GOAT they don't really mean H2H. Obviously that is not what the TS is talking about either. Lets keep it what the thread is about.

And, in H2H match-ups, Roy gets all the respect he deserves. Not sure why you're acting as if he doesn't. When they talk Roy with H2H match-ups he usually comes out more on top than not. Again that's not what the thread is about anyways.

So resume he is PROBABLY not? OK. You have him #2? #3? Where do you rank him(in the sense of what the TS is talking about).

I know what you're getting at and it's not fair to Roy.

You want me to be some historian and go back 120 years while comparing Roy to the millions of fighters that have fought over the years.

That's not fair to Roy because he was the greatest fighter of all time, it's not his fault that he couldn't go back 60 years and knock dudes out that gave your ATG's their names.

It's not fair to Roy that he couldn't do that; which is why I call him the GOAT as a fighter head to head.

Essentially if the most complete fighter to ever step inside the ring fights from the years 2060-2085, but has no dance partners then I guess he's going to rank Top 150 of all time?

God forbid he destroys all of his opposition; he's screwed. He'll never get any respect.
                Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 05-22-2012, 10:11 PM.

Comment

BoxingGenius, stop arguing with Roman Moreno aka JRosales. He flip flops, and tries to be some "My opinion is fact" kinda douche.

Leave him alone. Today he is playing the devils advocate, next he will be swinging by any piece of pube he can get his hand on.

JRo is the Mitt Romney of BoxingScene.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
                    Originally posted by larryx1950 View Post
                    no........his resume really isnt that good

roy's resume is outstanding.
                    Completely dominated 2 future of hall of Famers (Hopkins, Toney).

Scored a 1 round Ko over undefeated Light Heavyweight champion Montell Griffin who defeated James Toney twice.

Koed 2 time light heavyweight champ Virgil Hill in 4 rounds with a body shot.

Beat 2 other title holders decisively. Was undefeated for 10 years.

His resume is good enough...
                    Last edited by res; 05-22-2012, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                      H2H he is up there. But, there is no H2H GOAT. In fantasy H2H match ups you would put them in weight-class they participated in.

Like Ricardo Lopez is the GOAT H2H since we would only match him up to weight-classes he participated in and he was arguably the best in both.

When people talk about ATG and top 5 and top 10 and GOAT they don't really mean H2H. Obviously that is not what the TS is talking about either. Lets keep it what the thread is about.

And, in H2H match-ups, Roy gets all the respect he deserves. Not sure why you're acting as if he doesn't. When they talk Roy with H2H match-ups he usually comes out more on top than not. Again that's not what the thread is about anyways.

So resume he is PROBABLY not? OK. You have him #2? #3? Where do you rank him(in the sense of what the TS is talking about).
                      Dude, seriously, I say in the most sincere way possible, PLEASE STFU.

You sound so ****ing dumb.

Do you realize how stupid the bold part is?

Comment

Working...
                      X