Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prince Naseem Hamed doesnt get his just due and never will

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Barrera loss is one thing and nothing wrong with losing to him at the time he did, but he never did anything afterwards and there were plenty of marquee match ups for him during that time that would've elevated his status much more with wins.

He did fight a good amount of tomato cans and did fight some quality fighters, but in comparison to the top Featherweights of All Time? I don't know...

Comment

If you make a list of all the great boxers he beat, great champions, HOF'ers and future HOF'ers you will find yourself with a very short list.

Was he a huge puncher? Absolutely.

Was he a character? Of course.

To say he is a top 5 or top 10 of all time in his weight class is ridiculous. He wasn't even top 5 of his own era.

Comment

Originally posted by Rapid Counter View Post
        He wasn't even top 5 of his own era.
        This is an interesting statement and I'd love to hear your reasons for it.

Lets Classify his era as the 90s. give or take a couple of years.
        Who are the 5 featherweights you feel are greater than Hamed during that time?

Comment

Hamed was entertaining and brought the big money to the weight division.

He was missing that one big win. He did beat good fighters but no superstar or atg in his resume.

The minute he stepped it up he got beat. At least he had the balls to challenge Barrera cause he thought he had won his fight against Morales.

He does have a chance to get into the HOF cause how popular he was

Comment

Hamed was doing quite well until after his invasion of the US and subsequent beatdown of Kevin Kelly.

Kid had leg generated power in both hands somewhat similar to Pacquiao, but with more body movement.

Would have enjoyed seeing how he would have performed against more
            top quality American opponents.

The excitement he brought to the game and his oozing charisma is sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
              This is an interesting statement and I'd love to hear your reasons for it.

Lets Classify his era as the 90s. give or take a couple of years.
              Who are the 5 featherweights you feel are greater than Hamed during that time?
              Lol not top 5 of his era might be a bit strong.

His era was pretty weak though, his best wins were against who? Kelly, Johnson? He didn't want Marquez at feather, chose to fight super bantamweight Barrera who was coming up. I realise they were not all in the same weight class at the same time but all the fab four would beat Hamed in my opinion. I even rate Chris John above nas because he can actually box. John don't get no love on these boards because he fights at home a lot and has had some gift decisions but the dude can box.

So there it is, although not all at the same weight at the same time Barrera, Marquez, Morales, Pacquiao and John (in my opinion) were all better featherweights. And that's just fighters from say mid 90's to early 00's.

People who are saying he is top 5 of all time are just crazy I think. I would like to point out I never did like Naseem so I may be a little biased.

To me he was just a pot shotter with huge power who was hard to hit because of good reflexes and being very unorthodoxed. When he stepped up to the plate against his first real legit challenge he didn't just lose, he got schooled.
              Last edited by Rapid Counter; 05-22-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

greatest british fighter of all time

better than glass chin lewis

most exciting fighter in his early years too

Comment

Prince Hamed was VERY entertaining. I would love to have more tape on him but, "just due"? What is he really owed? Many boxing fans fondly remember him for who and what he was, how much more should be asked for?

He fought flawed fighters and, when he stepped up, was beaten and showed NO desire whatsoever to avenge that loss. If losing the position you've worked for doesn't inspire you, how much do you really deserve to be remembered?

At 126, in or around that time, his resume is missing WINS against: Barrera, Morales and Tapia. He doesn't even have Derrick Gainer or Freddie Norwood.

You see, the top fighters of an era are bound to meet each other at some point. Without looking at their records, I'm sure those fighters have maybe two or three of the others from that list on them.

Comment

barerra is >mayweather in the ATG list

peak hamed would probably have beaten barerra

yes- hamed is amongst the greatest boxers ever- a million times better than khan for sure

Comment

One thing I don't get concerning Nas is how people say he got humiliated by Barrera. Beat yes but not humiliated. People need to actually watch the fight instead of parroting things other people say.

Comment

Working...
                      X