Im sorry Old school fighters are not automatically the best

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oh, also,

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    If you were around at least in the 80's to see the great middle weights for example or see the impact of boxing then and now, there's no comparison.
    i was 'around' (a 1980 baby), but not old enough to be conscious of it back then, yet i still appreciate the difference and bemoan and lament that we don't have such a vibrant scene now. so your assumptions are all wrongheaded.

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
      oh, also,

i was 'around' (a 1980 baby), but not old enough to be conscious of it back then, yet i still appreciate the difference and bemoan and lament that we don't have such a vibrant scene now. so your assumptions are all wrongheaded.
      There's a difference between an exception to the rule and a generalization. when you make a thread about how old school fighters are over hyped, then you loose credibility.

Maybe you appreciate the older days but like I said, the 80's aren't old school when it comes to boxing.

The 40's, 50's are old school. I would still put money on the fact that Jake Lamotta, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Joe Lewis and other greats would still be champs today.

Call me crazy though.....

Comment

• Originally posted by AFTER HOURS View Post
        Floyd jr will ko in round 1 > sugar ray robinson, marciano, ali, arguello
        Nah. But he definitely beats the **** out of Arguello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          There's a difference between an exception to the rule and a generalization.
          the generalization is ignorant. again, i refer you to the videos on the previous page. made by a schoolboy. there are others like him. including some whose knowledge-base of those eras is probably deeper than yours.

when you make a thread about how old school fighters are over hyped, then you loose credibility.
          he didn't make the thread because he's young. he made it because he's a belligerent, ignorant ass, period.

Maybe you appreciate the older days but like I said, the 80's aren't old school when it comes to boxing.
          who said they were? you cited the 80's as an era of historical importance to boxing.

"If you were around at least in the 80's to see the great middle weights for example or see the impact of boxing then and now, there's no comparison."

The 40's, 50's are old school. I would still put money on the fact that Jake Lamotta, Rocky Marciano, Floyd Patterson, Joe Lewis and other greats would still be champs today.

Call me crazy though.....
          *Joe Louis
          Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 02-08-2013, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
            Nah. But he definitely beats the **** out of Arguello.
            just like Gabe Rosado beat it out of Golovkin.

oh, wait...

Comment

• Old School...............................1980s hahahaha!!!!
              As to Lamotta, if you knew anything about timing and steps you'd know he was a calculating fighter who moved forward with skill and purpose. Just because he's not boxing in an upright Euro style or a laterial USA boxing style doesn't mean its not stylistic!!! Gaging distance and timing jabs against Sugar Ray Robinson (another no talent according to Larry) hahaha!! is not something you learn in a few bouts! When you consider that Jake was not a power puncher yet people were not "happy" fighting him should tell you something!
              Look at Joe Louis's right hand when it lands its almost always NOT fully extended!! Meaning its at its most powerfull stage upon impact its called "punching through"!! Todays fighters are so far away from each other everything lands "fully extended"!
              Once again Youth is Wasted on the Young! Time for a nap!! hahaha
              Ray.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso
                Old School...............................1980s hahahaha!!!!
                As to Lamotta, if you knew anything about timing and steps you'd know he was a calculating fighter who moved forward with skill and purpose. Just because he's not boxing in an upright Euro style or a laterial USA boxing style doesn't mean its not stylistic!!! Gaging distance and timing jabs against Sugar Ray Robinson (another no talent according to Larry) hahaha!! is not something you learn in a few bouts! When you consider that Jake was not a power puncher yet people were not "happy" fighting him should tell you something!
                Look at Joe Louis's right hand when it lands its almost always NOT fully extended!! Meaning its at its most powerfull stage upon impact its called "punching through"!! Todays fighters are so far away from each other everything lands "fully extended"!
                Once again Youth is Wasted on the Young! Time for a nap!! hahaha
                Ray.
                Spitting that knowledge!

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

• Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
                  just like Gabe Rosado beat it out of Golovkin.

oh, wait...
                  You seem to be quite eloquent. Don't let me bring the goofy **** out of you. I never said he'd beat the **** out of GGG. IF I did then pull it up. I definitely thought he could win. stay on subject. So Floyd doesn't beat Arguello handily?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Gaging distance and timing jabs against Sugar Ray Robinson (another no talent according to Larry) hahaha!! is not something you learn in a few bouts!
                    LaMotta's jab <3
                    Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
                    the jab of LaMotta (a converted southpaw), just as an example, was wonderfully creative and versatile. i would urge any doubters of LaMotta to rewatch and look for how well he was able to thread his way in on a man with such fine boxing ability and superior physical attributes as Robinson.

Comment

• Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
                      You seem to be quite eloquent. Don't let me bring the goofy **** out of you. I never said he'd beat the **** out of GGG. IF I did then pull it up. I definitely thought he could win. stay on subject. So Floyd doesn't beat Arguello handily?
                      suggesting that Floyd steamrolls Arguello is a touch goofy. i had to reply in kind.

Comment

Working...
                      X